Opinions of people

Jokerzl

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
May 15, 2012
Ashkum
As of lately I have been noticing a huge increases of people "over voicing" there opinion to people they don't know on subject that pertain nothing to anything that matters in life. Do you think the individual American is becoming to opinionated for their own good? It seems on every subject there is going to be an opinion. Most of the time there is a collective few right answers and a few bad.It just seems as of lately that there are so many opinions that people feel they need to be heard like anyone of us or the other people involved feel they care. Is anyone else sick of hearing people's opinion on subjects were those individuals have no idea what they are talking about?(me included) I'm cutting back on this, on subjects that are basically irrelevant?

Don't know scene a post from a member on here on Facebook where people attacked him not to say hey your listing could be worded a little differently but to make themselves sound smarter on a subject that really they didn't know anything about and to make themselves appear better then others.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I think the problem is that everyone thinks their opinion is the only one that's important.

I work with some people that disregard everyone else's opinion and think they're the only ones who are right.

That line of thinking is fucking annoying and only getting worse.

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
I think part of the issue is there is now a whole generation of kids that have always had the internet. They think this is the normal way to act.

Yep ... & that's sad on so many levels.

Youngsters seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to jump in with an opinion whether they are familiar with the subject or not ... without respect of others or differing views.

*shrugs*

Cort :) OLD CARS, STRONG HEARTS | memories, even if the whole world has forgotten
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Something's wrong in the world today" __ Aerosmith __ 'Living On The Edge'

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I think that for all the purported claims of the Internet helping people connect, it's really isolating at some level. I think that the inability to realize there is a time that there is a time and place for things is a symptom of this. Not going to say I'm not guilty of it at some level. We need to be attentive to the dangers of technology such as this.

One of the hardest things a person can do is admit they don't know something. I think the Internet makes it worse, and that alone is damaging to our society. Making mistakes is okay as long as you learn from it.

Know what you are, know what you are not. As was once said by Tyler Durden, "sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I think that for all the purported claims of the Internet helping people connect, it's really isolating at some level. I think that the inability to realize there is a time that there is a time and place for things is a symptom of this. Not going to say I'm not guilty of it at some level. We need to be attentive to the dangers of technology such as this.

One of the hardest things a person can do is admit they don't know something. I think the Internet makes it worse, and that alone is damaging to our society. Making mistakes is okay as long as you learn from it.

Know what you are, know what you are not. As was once said by Tyler Durden, "sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

I never understood people who can't admit they don't know something. Who gives a fuck if you don't know, you look like a bigger idiot pretending to know.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
The online disinhibition effect.
Suler J1.
Author information
1Department of Psychology, Rider University

While online, some people self-disclose or act out more frequently or intensely than they would in person. This article explores six factors that interact with each other in creating this online disinhibition effect: dissociative anonymity, invisibility, asynchronicity, solipsistic introjection, dissociative imagination, and minimization of authority. Personality variables also will influence the extent of this disinhibition. Rather than thinking of disinhibition as the revealing of an underlying "true self," we can conceptualize it as a shift to a constellation within self-structure, involving clusters of affect and cognition that differ from the in-person constellation.

Essentially it means that the anonymity of the internet allows people to become disconnected with themselves and act out with little to no fear of repercussions. Online persona varies immensely when compared to face to face interaction and also leads (from what I've seen and researched) to a sense of entitlement in the sense of "I'm right and there's nothing you can do about it" mentality that bleeds over into everyday life and eventually with face to face interactions with other people. There's a direct correlation with "hover parents" and the sense of entitlement that's being instilled into children through "participation ribbons" (i.e. no one gets first place or scores etc are not kept) and all children being seen through the eyes of parents as doing no wrong and being better than everyone else without merit. All of that leads to a false sense of superiority, entitlement and a craving for attention and is easiest to express through the anonymity of social media and online forums. Most online disagreements usually end up being brought down to their lowest common denominator which is idle threats and name calling. U.W. Madison did a great study on the topic but I can't find the link I used for one of my psych papers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info