Officer involved shooting - Cottonwood AZ

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I just came across this video, not sure if it's been posted before. Long story short, family of homeless people in Wal Mart, one person pushed an employee. Police were called, family was in parking lot upon arrival. Upon police trying to separate and question everybody, the family starts fighting with police and Wal Mart staff. One person tries to disarm an officer, cop is shot in leg during struggle for his gun, cops shoot 2 suspects, one fatally.

http://youtu.be/CBLMuxqKkGw

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
In this situation, the tazer was a bad choice. Ok, you tazed him, now what? Stand there and be a target for somebody else? Yeah it dropped him, but you're not gonna be able to cuff him up when there's others trying to pry you off him and beat your ass. Time for the baton and swing for the fences

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Where's the professional training?

This looks more like a free for all brawl than a group of supposed professionals staying in control of a situation. One sergeant taking control would have prevented all of this.

Bullshit. In chaos like this it is hard to gain control of the situation in any sort of organized manner; especially when you literally have as many or more bogeys as you do officers! Each of them had their own fight to handle before they could even begin to coordinate with one another on a plan of action, let alone the fact that when an officer had their person subdued then another family member would come up behind him throwing punches and kicks. It's kind of hard to cuff someone when a guy is throwing haymakers to your noggin.

I see no wrong that the officers did. Hell, I am surprised they waited as long as they did before shot fired. Dumb fucking family got what they deserved, being dumbasses like that. Thanks Darwin! Too bad the one cop took one to the leg.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Bullshit. In chaos like this it is hard to gain control of the situation in any sort of organized manner; especially when you literally have as many or more bogeys as you do officers! Each of them had their own fight to handle before they could even begin to coordinate with one another on a plan of action, let alone the fact that when an officer had their person subdued then another family member would come up behind him throwing punches and kicks. It's kind of hard to cuff someone when a guy is throwing haymakers to your noggin.

I see no wrong that the officers did. Hell, I am surprised they waited as long as they did before shot fired. Dumb fucking family got what they deserved, being dumbasses like that. Thanks Darwin! Too bad the one cop took one to the leg.
I disagree. My dad was a police commissioner for decades. I grew up around cops. Some were dipshits. Others were strong, intelligent people who would have taken control of this situation. Looks to me like these cops were the dipshit variety. This is a brawl, not a professional arrest. If they didn't have the numbers and could not get control, they should have waited for back up.

If you watch the video, everyone is relatively calm and talking. At :35 the arriving officers turn it into a confrontation and lose control. It would have been better to keep calmly talking until more officers showed up.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I disagree. My dad was a police commissioner for decades. I grew up around cops. Some were dipshits. Others were strong, intelligent people who would have taken control of this situation. Looks to me like these cops were the dipshit variety. This is a brawl, not a professional arrest. If they didn't have the numbers and could not get control, they should have waited for back up.

If you watch the video, everyone is relatively calm and talking. At :35 the arriving officers turn it into a confrontation and lose control. It would have been better to keep calmly talking until more officers showed up.

Having family who were in a profession, and "being around it" means dick about whether you understand a shitting thing about confrontation, crowd control, and how quickly things can go to shit. You "well my family member did it, so I in turn know about it" people are fucking ridiculous. Don't try to lay claim to something you clearly cannot. They were the police officer, not you. They dealt with, and understood the nuances of these situations, not you. You obviously don't speak from a beans worth of experience. Stick to real estate Cliff. Leave the armchair quarterbacking to those of us who have actually "handled the football"; unless you are content in showing blatant lack of understanding regarding what you speak of. Some of you career civilians really annoy the fuck out of me with your ignorant comments. Some time back, you pulled similar shit when talking about how to fight a war. Another thing I recall you having zero direct experience with.

Source: Military riot and crowd control experience...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I understand what you are saying. Although I have personally been in close to a dozen fights both individually and with groups over the years, I have never been a police officer. What I saw and heard when I was present at police GTGs and meetings gave me somewhat of an insider's view towards how police officers think and act but, as you say, that isn't the same thing as being one.

That said, I still think the police action at :35 is what triggered the fight. Would the drunk/drugged family still have blown up if the officers had talked rather than shoved their way in? We'll never know for sure. It's obvious these people had no respect for the officers.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
From what I saw, everything was calm until the cops showed up and started the fight.

Ummm, did you watch with audio? Two responding cops arrive, one cop on scene already. First cop says "we need to separate them" the response from shithead was "no, you're not going to separate me" at which time he began to passively resist. cop said "ok then you're going in cuffs" and that's when it all went bad. All the shithead had to do was cooperate, but he already had it in his mind that there was gonna be trouble.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info