Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Debating making the jump from Sprint when the S6 hits (I still dont really have a problem with Sprint, but I finally wouldn't mind some stronger coverage).

I have no want to go to Verizon or ATT so that leaves the purple T.

How is coverage? Speeds? How is their service? Can anyone tell me what their taxes look like? Before taxes I'd be paying what I pay OTD with Sprint every month. If I get bumped to 100 a month, I'm sticking w/ Sprint.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I like it for the most part. Speeds are good. Coverage is the only thing that sucks sometimes. I haven't traveled much this year, but I've noticed having LTE more when going to my parents in Rockford. Before I would be in 3g a little more. Some spots in Wisconsin I would get no service at all. I believe they have done some upgrades tho.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
I don't know anything about their taxes. But back when I lived in Mt Prospect, I had them for about 3 weeks before I got fed up and switched to Nextel. Their coverage was shitty and got even worse when I moved to Downers Grove. I'm certain they have improved their product by now but first impressions are a lasting one for me. Not sure I'd go back if they had coverage up here.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Their coverage map seems solid for where I spend most of my time -

Hot pink is the fastest speedz they offer.

rBnFDbO.png

Even up by Eagle's seems strong.

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
When I had them it was decent as long as you are in a populated area. As soon as you go a little out of a busy area I noticed reductions in speed. Although when I did have their high speed it seemed faster than Verizon I have now. That was with a Note 3.

Long story short, don't travel and it's worth it. For the TCG trip around the lake prepare to have very little reception if any.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Once I get towards C Lake, coverage is hit or miss. Mostly 3G but strong enough 3G to still stream music. Once I'm up near Woodstock, it works when it decides it wants to.

Part of the problem is likely that I'm on an old modem file on my S5 but its been like that with any phone Ive had. So a new modem is only gonna help so much.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Their coverage map seems solid for where I spend most of my time -

Hot pink is the fastest speedz they offer.

rBnFDbO.png

Even up by Eagle's seems strong.

Then yea... they've definitely upgraded since I had them.

Why no VZW or AT&T? Just pricing or lack of coverage in areas you go to?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Verizon locks down their phones tighter than an amish girls butter churning bucket and I just think they are a shit company in general.

ATT, I kind of feel the same way. I like T's overall business model and the fact that streaming music doesnt count against your data.

The main problem with leaving Sprint, is that I would have to move to a phone lease model, which basically fucks any savings I will have.

Gonna go to the Tmobile sometime soon and see what they price me at.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have Tmobile and the speeds are really good IMO. I can download an HD movie (I have unlimited data, best feature ever) in 4-5 min. I coverage used to be so bad at Fermilab I used the free WIFI when I was at work. Since I upgraded to an S5 the service is full all the time. When far away from this area though, the service sucks huge monkey crap.

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
Agreed. I'm in the northern suburbs/downtown most of the time, but just about any time I make a random trip somewhere I seem to lose 4G LTE and get stuck on Edge. Happened a few weeks ago when I made a trip down to the Peoria area. Also, my internet never seems to work at GLD/Southern WI

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
When I'm going to the track up in MI the signal is pretty much non-existent. Also, when I went out west to visit a friend in Geneseo, il, not much after I got past 39 the signal was gonzo. So pretty far, but people that had AT&T or Verizon had perfect signals.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] I know this might not help you as much since I'm not in the Chicago area but my 2 cents:

Switched from Verizon to TMobile about 2 months ago. So far love it. I will confess that verizon's coverage is still much better, but as long as I'm in the metro area of Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins I have no problems. Only problem here is when you go in the mountains.

When you lose tmobile coverage usually you'll get someone else for calling purposes but if you're out of tmobile then your data is just about nil. That's the biggest drawback. Chicago seems to have awesome coverage so I don't think you'll have too many problems on that front.

Main reasons I switched: Saved a shit ton of money, got WAY more data, and no contract or overages and of course the music freedom. They have rollover data, so the odds of you using all data is pretty slim since streaming music through just about any music app doesn't count against your data amount. Right now they are throwing in 10 GB on top as well if you sign up.

Wi-fi calling is the absolute shit. If you lose coverage, as long as you have a wi fi signal you can make a call. Wife and I just spent 2 weeks in New Zealand and were able to call the states for free using the wifi calling feature.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
My only complaint about tmobile is when I go camping out to the boonies. My gf with verizon has great service while I have none. Other then that I haven't really had a problem with it.

Only reason I might switch to verizon is to get on a family plan and cut my costs down. Right now with monthly payments for my s5 at 0 percent I am at like 90 dollars a month. Would be 70 without that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info