TCG Welders Step in

Slolane

Who's The Masta!?!
Mar 27, 2009
Hoffman Estates
I'm looking to purchase my first welder. I use to weld at my old job a little bit and i wanna get back in the game. I'm new to actually purchasing and knowing what i'm getting.

i spoke to a buddy that is a pipe fitter and he suggested me to Get the Lincoln Electric 125 at home depot.. it is around $400 i believe.. He said to go to AirGas for the bottle/regulator and accessories.. But he also said to look on craigslist. What exactly do i search for on craigslist or online?? he said They have Bolt on kits for cheap. I'm not sure what to look for.

I will be running it with Gas.. which leads me to my next question. I've read that i can run 100% Co2 and be fine just not as clean welds.. my buddy said to run 75/25 with argon for a much cleaner weld..

any help getting me started on the right foot would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guy!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It was 4yrs ago, but I got my argon gas online. Airgas wants a deposit which is crazy expensive. I walked out like "WTF??" My bottle was really cheap. It's small, can't remember the size, but it was like !/4 of the airgas price. You have to weld a lot to use up just the little bottle I have. I'm pretty sure I have the same welder as you're talking about too, and it's nice. Can do any garage style project all day long. If I remember where I got it, i'll post up.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Does the argon gas come in it's own bottle that you just tap in to? or do you need your own two seperate bottles that you have to take to be filled..

The gas is a mIxture. You only need a single tank. Look in a phone book and call some welding shops. Try to find a mom and pop welding shop and ask if they fill tanks. I have a small tank that I bought from Harbor Freight and had it filled at a shop in Bridgeview. It's been awhile since I've used my welder, so I don't know if the place I went to still does refills.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
anything 115v, the machines are pretty basic. The price ranges seem to be sub $400, $600-$800, and $1000+ If you had a machine you used in the past at work, buy that same one. You'll be familiar with it right out of the box. If its something you're going to tack up a bracket with once a year don't spend a pile of money obviously.

I was looking into purchasing one myself, had set my mind on this.
Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set
Miller Millermatic 211 with Auto-Set and MVP (907422)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have this exact model, comes with the regulator and whatnot. All you need is a little bottle to go with it and you're off to the races. I've welded 1/4" very well with this, will penetrate through given proper weld prep and whatnot.

http://www.eastwood.com/handy-mig-1...vha917nzN9gz1zkOxKkjjV6XAmN9S0ZPAnxoCas3w_wcB

p46212.jpg

And I got a bottle like this but it was full. I *think* it was $160 shipped to my door.

image_13676.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info