Planet Fitness drops member after "gender identity" complaint

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Unreal :rofl:

MIDLAND, MI (WNEM) - It's a business that sells itself on being non-judgmental but Planet Fitness has allegedly revoked the membership of a woman for complaining.

Yvette Cormier, a member at the Midland location, says she had no idea what that meant until a few days ago.

"I was stunned and shocked. He looked like a man.. He did not look like a woman," Cormier said. Cormier is talking about a transgender woman who walked into the woman's locker room while she was getting undressed. She says she couldn't believe her eyes.

"This is very unprofessional. This is very scary," Cormier said.

Not knowing why the person was in the women's locker room, Cormier said she immediately complained to the front desk and eventually to corporate offices.

"They told me the same thing, that he was allowed in there because that's the sex he wants to be," Cormier said.

Cormier said she understands that some men self-identify as women and some women self-identify as men, but said the person looked like a man and that caught her off guard.

Cormier lost her membership for violating the company's no judgement zone policy.

Moving forward, Cormier said she isn't concerned with getting her membership back. Her concern now is to warn other women at this gym to make them aware of this policy, because she says Planet Fitness failed to warn her.

The company told TV5 that Cormier's concerns about the policy regarding gender identity was inappropriate and disruptive by complaining to other members at the gym.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-06-at-10.19.23-PM.jpg

Planet Fitness drops member after gender identity complaint - WNEM TV 5

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
I was reading about this the other day..

Sad world we live in, first gay marriage now this...

I have to agree with the woman here... planet fitness is out of line. i sont have anything against tsexual people but... That person is still close to a man.

So in saying so... You can join gym toss on a wig... walk into womans blocker room claim to be transgendered it would be ok?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
this is amazing :rofl:

A said:
I want you to think about this as well:

- A gay male CANNOT go into the women's dressing room because he identifies himself as a male, but just gay.

- A transgender male CAN go into the women's dressing room because he identifies himself as a female.

What if it is gay transgender male? A male that identifies himself as a woman, but is also attracted to women?

mind_blown.gif

B said:
That is the exact angle I am going to use. I am a non-transitioning gay transwoman ie. I have the body of a man and am attracted to women but I self identify as a lesbian woman. If you doubt my story you are a bigot.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
:rofl: I knew that was going to get Mike K
its a bit of a stretch..

But you dont have anything to add about the thread topic?

I think it's kind of bullshit and I think some of it is disingenuous. Like people are not mad because they actually want to use the bathroom of the gender that they identify with but because they don't want someone else telling them they can't. So they end up championing a cause they that really never bothered them in the first place.

That's a dude though. If I was a women and I saw him in the bathroom I'd freak out too. I don't blame her. What's to stop me from walking into the women's locker room at LA Fitness tomorrow and being like "Don't worry ladies! I might look like a guy but I identify as a woman so it's all good. No need to freak out. Who wants to have a pillow fight!?"

That said, I also think you also can't legislate stuff like this. I like that Planet Fitness kicked the member out not because I think that they were right or wrong but because they had the freedom to do it. And honestly I personally think they responded wrong but objectively I can see how you could come down on either side of this argument. You are fucked no matter what you do, especially as a business. So it's not a matter of trying not to piss someone off; it's a matter of who you're going to piss off.

But what's going to happen is we have a divisive news story which is going to go viral on both sides of the argument for different reasons and one side is going to "win", potentially with legislation that might require a business to adhere to certain rules regarding transgender people. And honestly, at that point we all lose.

Gay Marriage

As for the gay marriage argument, I have a hard time wrapping my head around anyone that's against legalizing gay marriage. Let's reframe the argument. Government can not give you freedom. They can only take it away. Currently they are restricting the rights of human beings that do not adhere to the biblical definition of marriage. Now if this was just a paper marriage that didn't mean anything I think not many people would care but there are countless benefits of a legal marriage that these people are being excluded from and because of what? Bible thumpers. That's what.

And what is absolutely fucking mind blowing to me is that the hardcore right, the gun toting, small government, get your government out of my life people are the ones that are so vehemently against legalizing gay marriage. I mean you want to talk about hypocrisy. There it is in spades. You have the right to practice whatever religion you please. If you want to worship the flying spaghetti monster I'm all for that. That's your right. We might not see eye to eye but that doesn't affect my beliefs and it shouldn't affect yours either. We have a mutual respect. Where I draw the line is when you try to turn your religious beliefs into legislation. Then you're not playing by the game any more. You're breaking the rules. I'm not cool with that.

If you are against gay marriage... Nay, I take that back. If you are for government defining marriage between two human beings you are a neanderthal. Give me a compelling argument for why you're not. Explain to me what positive comes from government defining marriage. And go...

But you dont have anything to add about the thread topic?

Are you happy now!? :rofl:

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
I think it's kind of bullshit and I think some of it is disingenuous. Like people are not mad because they actually want to use the bathroom of the gender that they identify with but because they don't want someone else telling them they can't. So they end up championing a cause they that really never bothered them in the first place.

That's a dude though. If I was a women and I saw him in the bathroom I'd freak out too. I don't blame her. What's to stop me from walking into the women's locker room at LA Fitness tomorrow and being like "Don't worry ladies! I might look like a guy but I identify as a woman so it's all good. No need to freak out. Who wants to have a pillow fight!?"

That said, I also think you also can't legislate stuff like this. I like that Planet Fitness kicked the member out not because I think that they were right or wrong but because they had the freedom to do it. And honestly I personally think they responded wrong but objectively I can see how you could come down on either side of this argument. You are fucked no matter what you do, especially as a business. So it's not a matter of trying not to piss someone off; it's a matter of who you're going to piss off.

But what's going to happen is we have a divisive news story which is going to go viral on both sides of the argument for different reasons and one side is going to "win", potentially with legislation that might require a business to adhere to certain rules regarding transgender people. And honestly, at that point we all lose.

Gay Marriage

As for the gay marriage argument, I have a hard time wrapping my head around anyone that's against legalizing gay marriage. Let's reframe the argument. Government can not give you freedom. They can only take it away. Currently they are restricting the rights of human beings that do not adhere to the biblical definition of marriage. Now if this was just a paper marriage that didn't mean anything I think not many people would care but there are countless benefits of a legal marriage that these people are being excluded from and because of what? Bible thumpers. That's what.

And what is absolutely fucking mind blowing to me is that the hardcore right, the gun toting, small government, get your government out of my life people are the ones that are so vehemently against legalizing gay marriage. I mean you want to talk about hypocrisy. There it is in spades. You have the right to practice whatever religion you please. If you want to worship the flying spaghetti monster I'm all for that. That's your right. We might not see eye to eye but that doesn't affect my beliefs and it shouldn't affect yours either. We have a mutual respect. Where I draw the line is when you try to turn your religious beliefs into legislation. Then you're not playing by the game any more. You're breaking the rules. I'm not cool with that.

If you are against gay marriage... Nay, I take that back. If you are for government defining marriage between two human beings you are a neanderthal. Give me a compelling argument for why you're not. Explain to me what positive comes from government defining marriage. And go...

* reserved * will answer tomorrow.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008

Gay Marriage

It's everything I hoped for and more.
I agree, especially with the first part. I feel like we've seen a huge spike in this sort of uber-progressive line of thinking that is doing more harm than good over the past few years.
And yes, you're right. Its a tough spot for the businesses because inevitably, they're going to make someone mad. However, I think it would be very hard to make a case for appeasing such a small fraction of the population at the expense of a much larger one.
Planet Fitness has a history of making terrible business decisions that have earned them a reputation over the years. I hope for everyone's sake this story doesnt go viral and I really can't see how any legislation would work.
I'm not even going to touch the gay marriage thing..while I do lean right, I don't see how anyone could really care, to be honest. Unlike the story above, gay marriage isnt directly effecting anyone elses life. So I leave you with this Planet Fitness gif from one of their weekly pizza parties.

guy-eats-pizza-while-working-out.gif

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Fun fact about Planet Fitness. A buddy of mine wanted to bulk up and asked me to join with him like 10 years ago. Other than my legs (probably from being a fatty for so many years) I'm not super strong and wasn't super strong even when I was in great shape.

So there I am at Planet Fitness and I'm racking machine after machine. And it's driving me nuts. I can't get a good workout because I can't get enough weight on the machines. Upon further inspection the machines had lower max weight on them the same machines at my regular gym. I don't know if this was some sort of jedi mind trick they were trying to play on their members so they'd think they were stronger than they were but it made the gym basically useless to me, an average dude that wasn't a power lifter.

I mean it was all smoke and mirrors at that point.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
P.S. I see you taking shots at the hardcore right for the gay marriage thing... Where do you think this sort of super progressive, overly-PC mindset stems from? :s00ls:

The hard left for sure. I have equal contempt for people that plant roots on the extreme end of either party and simply tow the party line. Because when you're so far right or so far left you're essentially advertising to the world that you don't have a mind of your own. You've picked a side and whatever they spoon feed you is what you'll believe.

And the gay marriage argument is a perfect example of that. If gay marriage didn't directly contradict biblical law the hard right would be championing it more than any progressive. But it's a conundrum. We don't want the government butting into our lives but our party is also strongly aligned with religious people and we have to pander to them. So they make this hypocritical exception.

And there's countless examples of the hard left doing it too.

It's for reasons like this (and others) that I immediately write-off anyone using the words "libtard" or whatever the right wing equivalent is because when you use words like that to describe nearly 50% of the country what you're telling me is you think you're smarter than them. Your mind is made up and you'll only pay attention to like minded thinkers. Tragically people like this don't realize they are every bit is close minded and ignorant as their counterparts on the opposite side. They have more in common with those they detest than they would ever care to believe.

That said, if I'm being objective, of my extreme left/ right Facebook friends I find those on the right, especially the religious ones, to be much angrier and mean spirited than those on the left. There is definitely a genuine hate there for liberal views whereas most of the liberals I see tend to simply mock and make fun of the right wingers. And this is out of like 300 Facebook friends so of course it's entirely scientific and can be taken as fact. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info