Beginner photography: First shots

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So with my wife and I going to New Zealand soon, we decided to upgrade from iPhone's to an actual camera. I used to have a Canon SD750 point and shoot which wasn't cutting it either. Didn't want to get a full frame camera for my first time, and it's a hell of a thing trying to understand how ISO/Aperture/ and shutter speed all work together but I'm slowly getting there.

Few shots I took of our dog last weekend in the snow. These are just my first test shots, but I'm hoping to get some better lenses (possibly a good prime, and also something that zooms to 200-250mm) to get different shots.

DSC00282%202_zpsxs7c58bh.jpg

DSC00284%202_zpsxptw0b49.jpg

DSC00301%202_zpsokn1fbll.jpg

DSC00305%202_zpshhqbluez.jpg

DSC00298%202_zpsdhzwzkkm.jpg

my favorite:

DSC00313%202_zps8zq0zcpg.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Pics are definitely a good starting point. Could stand to be a bit brighter in certain situations but that might just be a) my monitor and b) personal preference.

They also have a bit of a yellow tinge to them. Again, might just be my screen.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I think I had ISO at 100 for all of these so probably should have bumped it up since it was cloudy and bring in some more light.

I can't comment on the hue b/c I have a shitty monitor where I work - but I agree some do look a little on the yellow side.

Lens is a 18m-55mm Aperture (Max.) : f/3.5 - 5.6
Aperture (Min.) : f/22 - 32

edit:

They look good. One thing I don't like is the focus of the picture with your wife playing with the dog.

Yeah that was jacked from trying to mess around with the picture on the computer and tried doing an effect that didn't quite come out right, that wasn't the RAW file.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I think I had ISO at 100 for all of these so probably should have bumped it up since it was cloudy and bring in some more light.

I can't comment on the hue b/c I have a shitty monitor where I work - but I agree some do look a little on the yellow side.

Lens is a 18m-55mm Aperture (Max.) : f/3.5 - 5.6
Aperture (Min.) : f/22 - 32

edit:

Yeah that was jacked from trying to mess around with the picture on the computer and tried doing an effect that didn't quite come out right, that wasn't the RAW file.

What was your shutter speed? You can right click on the photo and go to properties to see all of your data.

If you are shooting something that moves like an animal you want to go with a higher shutter speed but have your photo properly exposed. When I shoot eagles I usually go with a minimum of 1/1600 of a shutter. When you make the shutter faster, you have to bump up the ISO as well. You can always get programs that will take out the "noise" or grain. Also with a larger aperature (smaller mumber) I usually go with anywhere from f.4.8-f.8, depending how much I want in focus. If you have a higher number, you will have to slow your shutter speed down to compensate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info