So fucking cool...

itske0bzuf1co4sbulog.jpg

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Didn't The Blue Angles use T-38's for a while? Those planes are old as fuck haha

In the early 80's the Thunderbirds used them briefly before going to the F-16.

We still used plenty of T-38's today though as our jet fighter training aircraft. I think there's 400 or so that are operational --- we just got done upgrading all the avionics and ejection seats in them in 2011 or so.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I've actually been there and gone on the tour. The place is heavily guarded and I'm pretty sure you'd get shot if you tried to step off the tour bus. Its a multi billion dollar Industry where they strip planes of there components and sell them to other countries. Whoever mentioned F4's, I know they were still the primary fighter being used by the Luftwaffe up until a few years ago. What's even worse is looking at photos of the place from the 50's and 60's. Tons of historical WWII/Korea planes that were most likely scrapped for aluminum.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I've actually been there and gone on the tour. The place is heavily guarded and I'm pretty sure you'd get shot if you tried to step off the tour bus. Its a multi billion dollar Industry where they strip planes of there components and sell them to other countries. Whoever mentioned F4's, I know they were still the primary fighter being used by the Luftwaffe up until a few years ago. What's even worse is looking at photos of the place from the 50's and 60's. Tons of historical WWII/Korea planes that were most likely scrapped for aluminum.

PIMA Air and Space Tours

I'm not sure when you went, but now it looks like you pay your $7, and they'll let you loose on foot, on a tram, in a tour bus. I'm definitely trying to figure out a date to get out there, because it seems cool as hell.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John

They flew them until a couple of years ago, but their main attack aircraft has been the Typhoon since the mid 2000's when they came into service.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm torn. This has been on my radar for a long time, and especially so since I've been traveling to Phoenix so often for work. I'll be out there for a week starting 3/9 and it's also Nascar weekend so I'm debating going to a race or this. hmmmmmmm.

NASCAR races are cool once or twice, but there's only so much driving in an oval I can take. So much rather go to the Boneyard

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
PIMA Air and Space Tours

I'm not sure when you went, but now it looks like you pay your $7, and they'll let you loose on foot, on a tram, in a tour bus. I'm definitely trying to figure out a date to get out there, because it seems cool as hell.

I was there in the spring of 2012. I think your getting confused between the PIMA air and space museum (private collection of historical aircraft) and the boneyard which is actually part of Davis–Monthan Air Force Base. They are both right next to each other, and are actually separate attractions, even though you buy the tickets for the boneyard tour at the museum where the bus picks you up. The titan missile museum is also located nearby. Didn't get a chance to see that one though. Apparently they still have an ICBM in a missile silo that you get to walk in.

Probably the second best air museum I've ever been too. I highly highly recommend the tram tour at PIMA. You get to sit in the shade and a museum volunteer (most are ex air force) drives you around and stops at just about every plane to tell you a short history. Perfect for taking pictures. 90% of the museum is outdoors so walking 3 miles through the desert can get pretty exhausting.

For anyone that is interested in this stuff take a look at my website that I started a few years back and never finished. https://sites.google.com/site/militarymuseums/home/raf-london

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info