Do we have any high end car audio experts? Step in.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I am basically looking for some non biased opinions on car audio stuff. I am keeping the stock Navigation radio in the Accord and I want to do a complete system build. I am currently looking at an:
Audison Bit Ten sound processor
Some sort of 5 channel amp, no sure on brand yet
Focal speakers
Hertz HX300D sub, currently have this hooked up to a JL amp right now
Lots of sound deadening

Whatcha think? Should I change anything up? I am looking to stick with Audison, Hertz, JL, Focal brands. No junk.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
What do you mean by sound deadening? If you are planning on putting layer after layer of dynamat down save your money and time. CLD panels to stop vibration and mass loaded vinyl in certain spots to stop noise did the trick in my Z without nearly as much weight and effort.

^He's right. Sound deadening only needs to cover about 20% of the area of a panel to make it stop resonating, typically. After that you are wasting your money. MLV can be used to block the holes in the outer door skin to prevent noise from entering.

That's what my Bonne has done to it. Nice improvement over stock, particularly on noisy highways or when the road is wet. Doors feel nice and solid when you close them too.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I used to just throw a piece of dyna mat inside the doors behind the speaker and that helped out alot, in the trunk i would fill the dead space in the supports with great stuff foam then cover over the lid with dynamat, never had a rattle with that set up, I was never super loud either though i think the most i ever did was 145db with a set of 10's but the car was set up for sound quality anyway

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Back in late 02, I setup my 03 Explorer for SQ. I had the entire door skins covered with Dynamat, the shell part of the doors, the roof, floor and everything else you would imagine. I think we went thru 9-10 bulk packs of the stuff. When you shut the doors it sound like and felt as heavy as a tank. I ran MB Quart Q series in all the doors powered by a JL Audio Slash 450/4. For the sub, I ran a single 13 inch W7 in a custom slot ported box powered by a JL Audio a Slash 1000/1. My head unit was an Eclipse InDash with 8 volt Pre Outs. Thank god I worked for Tweeter at the time and they covered a majority of my expenses. Truck won several SQ competitions and I still hit 171.4db

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Dang that was louder than the world record for a single sub back in 03, in 04 I had helped set up a van that had 2 quad voice coil 18's in a 23 cubic foot box in the back of a full size van we had 4 3000 watt amps hooked up to each sub one on each voice coil and all the doors were bolted shut the driver door had a external latch and we replaced all the windows with lexan because we blew them all out at one point or another that van only did 169db but it took second in the country that year

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
What do you mean by sound deadening? If you are planning on putting layer after layer of dynamat down save your money and time. CLD panels to stop vibration and mass loaded vinyl in certain spots to stop noise did the trick in my Z without nearly as much weight and effort.

Just because I've been throwing around the idea of adding some sound deadening to the Crown Vic. The Police Interceptors are known for having almost no sound deadening stock. Would adding more than the 20% be an improvement?

Sorry for the thread jack

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Dang that was louder than the world record for a single sub back in 03, in 04 I had helped set up a van that had 2 quad voice coil 18's in a 23 cubic foot box in the back of a full size van we had 4 3000 watt amps hooked up to each sub one on each voice coil and all the doors were bolted shut the driver door had a external latch and we replaced all the windows with lexan because we blew them all out at one point or another that van only did 169db but it took second in the country that year

Your right, I stand corrected. Sorry, I was going off of memory I knew it was up there. I'm going to see if I can look it up later.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Your right, I stand corrected. Sorry, I was going off of memory I knew it was up there. I'm going to see if I can look it up later.

haha, i was about to call you out, i was going to say i highly doubt that since the world record for db drags, in the extreme class is 182.

anyways, i used to run a single DD9915 in a custom specd' box, a memphis 4kw amp, 2 Kinetik 1200's, 0ga wire, big 3, and Memphis Mclass speakers throughout. i never metered that setup but the setup was MUCH MUCH LOUDER than the one it replaced which was two 12" memphis Mojo's that metered a 145.6.

depending on your goals, i disagree with lack of sound deadening. serious competitors use MULTIPLE layers of deadening covering every thing!

honestly i have been out of the game for about 5 years, so i don't know who is leading the market now a days.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
What should I go with for an amp? I have a JL Audio Slash 500/1 for my one Hertz sub that is currently in my car. Now Should I just add a JL 4 channel amp to match my current JL sub amp? Should I look into JL 5 channel amp? Should I use my Kicker 10ZX700.5 that is in my Grand Prix? I would like to grab a 5 channel but adding a additional 4 channel with save me a few bucks.

Just because I've been throwing around the idea of adding some sound deadening to the Crown Vic. The Police Interceptors are known for having almost no sound deadening stock. Would adding more than the 20% be an improvement?

Sorry for the thread jack

Sound deadening does not block noise, it will not make the car quieter. It deadens panel resonance, only matters if you have a driver in the door.

20% of outer door skin gets covered in the deadener. Then block the holes in the inner door skin with MLV. This will make the car quieter.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
What should I go with for an amp? I have a JL Audio Slash 500/1 for my one Hertz sub that is currently in my car. Now Should I just add a JL 4 channel amp to match my current JL sub amp? Should I look into JL 5 channel amp? Should I use my Kicker 10ZX700.5 that is in my Grand Prix? I would like to grab a 5 channel but adding a additional 4 channel with save me a few bucks.

if you dont want to run the wires for 2 amps i would get a 5 6 or 8 channel, i run a 6 channel with 2 channels bridged to my sub in my boat, jl just started making a 8x100 for marine stuff i really want to try that amp out but if you have extra money to blow the 900x5 hd is a bad ass amp also

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info