Learn me how to connect my new electric stove/range

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Doing a remodel of my kitchen, its from the 60s, I think it may have been updated in the 70s or 80s... not sure. I need to purchase either the 3 or 4 prong connector harness to, what I was hoping, was a socket in the wall.

It appears that my current oven is hardwired into the wall.

What are my options here?

Attached are a few pictures showing what i see. Clearly 220v.

I dont mind hardwiring it... but im also not opposed to installing a 3 or 4 prong 220v socket.

Copper, Red, White, Black

stove.JPG

stove%20%282%29.JPG

Need4spd

Sep 9, 2014
You can not have open wires like that, if you're going to hardwire it than you need to get A special box that will go over opening in the wall (pretty common Home Depot will have them), also you'll need a connector for that flex and a blank cover. Now if you want to change it into a plug design you need to purchase male connector for oven side and female for wall, all wall plugs over 30AMp will require a different mud ring (2 gang). In your case I would hardwire a lot easier, hope that helps

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Did you already cut the old one loose?

I learned the hard way when I removed my old dishwasher that there is usually a disconnect behind an access panel on the appliance somewhere.

And then x2 on what Jeff said, install a legit wall plate, I unfortunately have nothing else super useful to contribute beyond that.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Did you already cut the old one loose?

I learned the hard way when I removed my old dishwasher that there is usually a disconnect behind an access panel on the appliance somewhere.

And then x2 on what Jeff said, install a legit wall plate, I unfortunately have nothing else super useful to contribute beyond that.

Yup.

Already gone.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
get these and be done.

hqdefault.jpg

This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. More than 50' from the breaker = no direct splice. I'd do it right anyway and remove the janky Greenfield setup and open gem box to get yourself up to code.

Do you have three wires coming in? If so, you're gonna need to do a pigtail. Otherwise it's straight forward.

Holler if you need a hand.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This. More than 50' from the breaker = no direct splice. I'd do it right anyway and remove the janky Greenfield setup and open gem box to get yourself up to code.

Do you have three wires coming in? If so, you're gonna need to do a pigtail. Otherwise it's straight forward.

Holler if you need a hand.

Yup. Donezo

Mud drying as we speak. Already tried it out, works great.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
You're asking guys on a car site for advice on wiring 220?

220 scares me. I'd spring for an electrician and be done with it. That's what I did when I had my hot tub installed. I had a licensed buddy come over and wire it for me. Easier to sleep at night not worrying about having wired it wrong.

It's like many things in life, a bit of research and due dillegence make a lot of difference. Cars are inherintly hazardous in a lot of the similar ways. My degree is actually in electrical design, although I have done virtually zilch with it in my actual career. It sure has been helpful dealing with the addons I'm making at work right now.

The black wire (one of the hots, along with the red) looks to be 10 AWG. What breaker is connected to this? If anything above a 30 that is a FIRE HAZZARD. You should have 6AWG copper running to a full out stove, which typically is on a 50-60A circuit. You're a full 2 sizes too small in all probability.

Now then assuming that you had the proper conductor sizes coming in, I would terminate this at the wall. Although I am not sure if a hard wired appliance is kosher from a code standpoint, I would want some form of termination. A 50A 4 pronged outlet (2 hot, 1 neutral 1 ground) would be legal.

With what you're doing there, I suspect that you'd find your ground to be under sized.

WIth where you're at, if you have easy access gas would definitely be a consideration. You're probably going to have to gut this anyways to really do it right, so I would consider it as an option.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Why are there 4 wires? L1 l2 copper ground but what us the forth? I'm running 220 to the garage for a welder but only have 3 wires..

White is neutral, they have an internal transformers or what ever for the clock and all the fancy push buttons, timers, etc that the stove works on.

220 v for the heating elements, and 110 v for electronic stuff

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info