I know it's cool to hate Fall Out Boy but...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They've been dropping singles off their new CD and they've been great. Of course, it's a progression of Fall Out Boy so if you never liked them you probably won't like this but if you've liked anything from the last 10 years you'll like this. I feel like it's the best they've had since From Under the Cork Tree which was 10 years ago.

Yeah, I know they're not hardcore rockers. They don't say cool rock things like Dave Grohl but fuck you. This year gave me a follow up from Foster the People which was meh, another one from OK Go which I got maybe a week out of because again, meh. And other bands I used to love either churn out complete crap or are just re-hashing their same sound over and over again in a desperate attempt to remain relevant to their dwindling fan base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBswx7GEARc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNkivNlkjj8

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Man, lemme tell y'all a story about these fall out boy characters. Way back in my high school days I had a band (who didn't?). One of our regular show venues was a big open church basement at Downers Grove at First Presbyterian Church. Local bands played there damn near every friday and saturday night. Id go all the time, because thats just where people hung out, and being in a band, you're naturally buddies with guys in the other bands.

Anyways. I saw fall out boy there one weekend, who were just getting some traction at the time, with... wait for it, Rise Against. $5 show packed full of high school kids. This is back in 2003. Fall out boy got boo'ed their whole set :bowrofl: because everyone in the local "scene" knew them as a bunch of fuck sticks. Had a buddy that used to buy weed off of Pete even.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I think I saw a similar concert where I saw "The academy is" in like a VFW in 2003 or 2004. Like 80 people there. Similar with The plain white T's at the wheaton grand. They played that damn "Hey there delilah song" 10 years ago.

I think FOB makes catchy music and I still listen to their old stuff. Pete is still a douchenozzle though. Went and had to see them to see Motion City Soundtrack at rockford speedway I think. Was in 2005, I just remember he just kept on talking and talking and talking between songs. I think I still have their old albums which my friend editted to remove his stupid poem/speech in the middle.

Oddest concert was one with Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, and Coheed and Cambria. What a goofy mix of bands for 2005.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Fall Out Boy used to play Tuesday's at the VFW in Arlington Heights by Frontier Days for anyone that knows what that is. They were catching shit back in the day because I think 2002 or 2003 was the year that they made Patrick lead vocals because Pete's voice blows and that marks the point where they really started to get their current sound. Before that they were more raw and punkish?

A couple years ago they showed up at the VFW on a Tuesday and played a surprise set.

With all the crap on the top 40 now and other bands that I love coming out with really bad sophmoric albums (Foster The People) and other Fall Out Boy era bands trying to stick with the same formula to recapture their small fan base (Yellowcard, Third Eye Blind, et al) it's nice to see a band continue to both say "fuck you" to the same formula while also churning out good music. It's rare.

What's odd is that their fan base now is largely the same as it was 10 years ago: early 20's. And many of those people don't know the old songs.

Miss Esa

Just 3 raccoons in a trench coat.
Feb 4, 2012
Wheaton, IL
Real Name
Theresa
Das and I went to see them a few months ago in Tinley Park and it as a good show if you ignored the fact that Pete was smashed and slurring his words the entire time. I saw his side project band a few years ago (The Black Cards) and I met him after the show. I'm pretty sure he had pissed himself on stage. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info