need a new laptop

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
my old Asus with an I3 processor is on its last leg i think. it gets slower and slower every day. Every time i use it, i just want to take it to the range and use it for target practice.

I'm not looking to spend a million dollars as i only use the computer to surf the web, watch videos and such.

my few requirments are: has to have numeric key pad, large screen (current laptop is 15.5", faster then an I3 (i7 would be awesome), HDMI out, dvd drive would be nice, but not a MUST have.

i am a dumbass when it comes to computers and specs, hence me asking for help. im guessing buying used will be my best bet, but i am skeptic of buying a used computer.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
#1 don't need an I7 for anything you are doing.

Will see what I can find. What do you use the numeric for? Puts you up to 17 inch screens for most places.

i know i don't NEED an i7, but this i3 is so fucking slow. my buddy has an i7 and his computer boots up in a heartbeat and ready to go. numeric pad is strictly for convenience and doing bills and such.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i know i don't NEED an i7, but this i3 is so fucking slow. my buddy has an i7 and his computer boots up in a heartbeat and ready to go. numeric pad is strictly for convenience and doing bills and such.

Buy an ssd hard drive and reload windows. That's probably why it boots so fast not because its an i7. My core2quad booted just as fast as my i5 with a ssd and windows 8...and that's older and slower then a i3. It honestly sounds like you just need windows reloaded because of shitty software slowing it down (malware, spyware, viruses)

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
U can save ur bookmarks now... there are options in firefox. U can pick export file on to ur desktop and email it to ur self.

Ssd is like a turbo charged hard drive. It will for sure boost ur speeds, should run u like $50-200 pending on size. But if u want a new lappy that is understandable as well.

I have a win7, i3 samsung laptop and no issues with speed. Just hate my battery life of 3.5 hours.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
No Idea what an SSD harddrive is. I run malware and eset anti virus a few times a week and is always clean and perfect. If I reload Windows, is there any way to save all of my bookmarks via Firefox? I have a TON of folders/pages bookmarked that I'd rather not lose.

Yep in bookmark manager in Firefox you should be able to export them and email like turtle said.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
my old Asus with an I3 processor is on its last leg i think. it gets slower and slower every day. Every time i use it, i just want to take it to the range and use it for target practice.

I'm not looking to spend a million dollars as i only use the computer to surf the web, watch videos and such.

my few requirments are: has to have numeric key pad, large screen (current laptop is 15.5", faster then an I3 (i7 would be awesome), HDMI out, dvd drive would be nice, but not a MUST have.

i am a dumbass when it comes to computers and specs, hence me asking for help. im guessing buying used will be my best bet, but i am skeptic of buying a used computer.

Too bad you're so far away, I'd put the SSD in back up your shit and have you back up and running all same day for like $25 and lunch :rofl:

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
nice, I need to pickup another Lenovo. I bought one last year off ebay, turned out to be hot (it was brand new) and a detective showed up asking for it.

I didn't power it on once with the image on it, I formatted it immediately after getting it, the bullshit lojack system is in the bios and will re-install itself when any version of windows is installed. Then the lojack company can then use that windows service to spy on ALL your shit until they find out who you are and where you live. (its not just what public IP you are on).

I only gave it back when my cc was credited back. You can disable that bullshit anytime (but it can't be turned back on, and you can't turn it off if its already been reported).

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
nice, I need to pickup another Lenovo. I bought one last year off ebay, turned out to be hot (it was brand new) and a detective showed up asking for it.

I didn't power it on once with the image on it, I formatted it immediately after getting it, the bullshit lojack system is in the bios and will re-install itself when any version of windows is installed. Then the lojack company can then use that windows service to spy on ALL your shit until they find out who you are and where you live. (its not just what public IP you are on).

I only gave it back when my cc was credited back. You can disable that bullshit anytime (but it can't be turned back on, and you can't turn it off if its already been reported).

A good friend of mine has an IT support company for lawyers. He setup the machine for me. We started it up and it required something like 190+ updates, which ultimately all crashed. Basically did a re-install along w other utilities. Runs great, boots and shuts down quickly. Screen is bright and sharp.
My previous laptop is a Lenovo. Has lasted me 5 years without much hiccup. Somewhat heavier than the new one. Needed to get out of XP and it was taking forever to boot. Also, some anomalies were cropping up at times. SO, decided to move things before it was too late.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Flash the bios and bye bye LoJack

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The actual physical installation is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a DVD or thumb drive with the Windows install software, and the Windows key for your copy. If you don't have they key handy, you can get software that'll recover it for you. It's easy stuff, just gotta take your time, and do your research. There's a ton of people on here that can help walk you through any issues or hiccups that arise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info