Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
God damn right it was a mistake.

In a news conference today, President Barack Obama addressed the Sony hack and said that Sony's decision to pull the film was a mistake.

Reporters asked the president what a proportionate response looked like to the Sony hack, and whether the decision to pull the movie was a mistake.

"Sony is a corporation, it suffered significant damage, there were some threats against employees, I am sympathetic to the concerns that they faced. Having said all that, yes, I think they made a mistake."

"If someone is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie, think of what they can do if they see a documentary they don't like, or a news report they don't like," the president continued, noting that self-censorship was another concern. "That's not who we are. That's not what America's about," he said.

"I wish they had spoken to me first," the president said about Sony. "Don't get into a pattern where you're intimidated by these kinds of attacks."

The North Korean embassy continues to deny that the hermetic country was involved with the hack.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Well the angle WAS going to be that Obama is weak and now America is succumbing to the demands of powerless dictators. We're a fraction of our former selves!

But now that this has happened, the anti-Obama angle is going to have to be along the lines of why is the president getting involved in petty matters like this? Doesn't America have bigger problems!?

I'll do the heavy lifting and listen to Hannity today to see what the spin is. No matter what it is, I'm sure Obama is in the wrong. I just need someone to bully me into understanding why.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I find it interesting that the President has been dragged in to weigh in on a corporation's decision to pull a movie release when it has no real impact whatsoever on anyone at all. It's also comparing apples to oranges to state that this opens the door for other "powerless" individuals to make demands to get what they want since there is real, tangible leverage against Sony in this case, and they have A LOT more asses to cover than just the Sony name.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
They were making terrorist style threats. I'd expect the president to at least say something on the subject, even if it didn't directly involve him or national security (I dont believe national security was ever at risk)..

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
What I dont understand is why the N Korean dude didnt just take the movie as flattery and fly in for the premier. Can you imagine if he showed up, sitting next to Franko and Rogen in the front row, laughing his fucking ass off. Thats how the world should be. NOt this shit we got going on right now.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
This is actually really weird in a number of ways.
Kim Jung (the father of the current guy) LOVED it when Team America: World Police did that parody of him. He told Matt and Trey that he was very flattered that they thought of him and that they included some of his hobbies and facts (the guy really did write operas and plays).

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
tumblr_mqtk2b80wA1rm7gdlo1_400.gif

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
"If someone is able to intimidate folks out of releasing a satirical movie, think of what they can do if they see a documentary they don't like, or a news report they don't like," the president continued, noting that self-censorship was another concern. "That's not who we are. That's not what America's about"

He's still an complete fucking idiot. This the same president who in a press conference in 2012 said the cause of the Benghazi attack was a movie and that movie was a mistake and shouldn't be shown? Not only did they do everything they could to bury that movie, they imprisoned the maker of it too.

Funny how some movies are ok, and others aren't. Only when it interferes with his administrations agenda.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info