What's a comfortable income?

What's a comfortable income for your household?

• Total voters

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I think as a single person, $50k is a reasonable amount to live comfortably on if you know how to live within your means.

You can afford a mortgage on a small home yourself, a car payment for your average economy type mid size car, have enough to put away for your own retirement, food should never be an issue to put on the table, splurge on dinner or drinks one night a week, and a week long vacation every year is doable.

I think the above, most people would agree is a decent life. Add another $25k for a couple, prob another $25k for two kids and still maintain that.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
depends on where you live and if you know how to live within your means, I did just fine making 50k a year with a family I didn't have a lot of money for toys back then but I bought what i could afford, as my pay has increased over the years i stayed in that house, and now lots of toy money

edit: for me right now 100k is comfortable, but i have been comfortable on much less in the past

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The woman and I together total about $110-$120 gross (I'm 100% commission and she has bonuses so it fluctuates) and we are doing just fine. Both have new cars, new motorcycle and own our home in relatively expensive crystal lake. I'm thinking ~$100k is pretty good for a DINK family. We could certainly get by with less, but our style of life would certainly change

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Like many have said... There's no right answer. I lived with the wife making between 28k annual... To well, more than that most recently. I think Jared is about right. If you can live on a budget faithfully, you can two two kids for 75k/yr with used cars and an affordable house.

For me though, I'm a spending idiot. I always mean to save, but I end up burning it if i have it.

People used to strive to make a fortune for their future generations, or pay for kids college at least. I was never given any of those things and made money myself... So I'm not trying to leave a ton behind. I'd like to retire someday, sure... But it's fun living like an idiot. Maybe I'll come to my senses one of these days.

Thread Info