Time to answer invasive personal finance questions

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
How much do you spend (or budget) every month on food/ groceries/ going out and gas. So basically, once all your reoccurring monthly expenses are taken care of, how much do you use to get you through the rest of the month?

I feel like we're spending way to much on bullshit every month. These are semi-personal questions so you know, no obligation to answer of course.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Groceries: $550
Restaurants/Eating out: $150
Gas: $500

I feel your pain. There seems to be so much more to blow your money on out here than there seemed to be in IL. The mindset out here is also very 'keeping up with the Joneses'...

We do a detailed monthly budget each month, planning a spot for each dollar, with the income amount for the month being the money earner the previous month. Also, the categories which have multiple purchases a month are pulled out in cash at the beginning of the month and put into an envelope system. For example, our grocery, restaurant, entertainment, etc. categories are cash in an envelope (but not gas). The reoccurring, mostly 1 time payments are just tracked from our checking account. We also accrue amounts each month for annual, or 6 month payments like insurance and registration.

It's been great and we've trimmed down our spending a ton on stupid stuff. No more paycheck to paycheck living and it makes spending guiltless if it's in the budget. We've been doing it for about a year and a half now and are big proponents for budgets.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Too much, I've actually been doing UBER the last few months which basically covers itself and about half of my monthly personal usage of gas. ( part time) It definitely helps financially but at the expense of beating my car up more than I should. I honestly don't really keep separate track of anything expense wise, which may sound silly but It works for me. I basically look at my checking account balance to determine if I'm wasting too much money. Since I've had the same job for the last 14 years I can easily determine if I'm wasting too much money on nonsense by looking at my balance. I don't live paycheck to paycheck so it works for me. I basically have my daily spending sent to me everyday from my bank via email. I'm very good with money and I rarely just waste money on nonsense. I take the family out to eat every weekend but prices always vary because we rarely eat anywhere special. Grocery wise it all depends how much the wife feels like cooking. I work evenings so I'm never home to keep track. So we basically share that expense but more comes from my pocket. If she doesn't cook she pays for the fast food for her and the kids. My pocket doesn't feel that so it's on her. Once I go back to days I'm sure the spending will go up a tad but not much. My daughter recently got braces which is costing me a pretty penny but the since the insurance covered 1/3 it's not as bad as it could have been. Her sweet 16 is also next year which will put another dent in my wallet. Then comes the driving and insurance hike... :fu:

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Gas is probably my biggest expense outside of the recurring monthly bills. That is around $200 a month.

Going out/eating out: $100/mo? We don't go out anymore, and usually my lunches are paid for if I go out with my boss. If we have groceries, that number drops even more.

Groceries: $200/mo

Doesn't look as bad on paper as it does in my head.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
for the past 30 days:

approx $750 groceries/food/entertainment

$342.21 for gas. that number about triples may through September.

I live almost paycheck to paycheck like most Americans. Could float a couple months like this.

I spend a TON on groceries. I eat a lot of food, grocery shopping on average once every 3 days and spend about $50 each time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
gas depends if im traveling a lot or not- if im not ~ $250-300 if I am $100-150- also- this was before gas prices cut themselves the fuck in half :rofl:

Food. again depends if im traveling a lot or not. I try to make as much food as I can and live off of leftovers. but being a single dude- you get a lot of leftovers- it's tough to eat pot roast for a week straight or chili for 2 weeks :rofl:

If I'm not traveling- probably ~$300 a month in food.

booze is my $$$$ eater though.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I try to make as much food as I can and live off of leftovers. but being a single dude- you get a lot of leftovers- it's tough to eat pot roast for a week straight or chili for 2 weeks :rofl:

so much this. I waste a lot, and actually just threw out some pot roast, three days in a row for two meals a day is all I could handle

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was just going to type that I am NOT drinking 24 cans a day!
Yes, they are shared.

School nights I only have about 5-6.

I enjoy company, plus my wife loves beer too.

:rofl:

k cool. im not one to cast stones here with this glass house i'm livin' in, but I was like HOLY FUCK.

That's not complete insanity then.

You need a miller lite sponsorship.

Dragonkat

Car Life: It's what we do...24/7
Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
around $200 a month on groceries/food/entertainment
and about $100 on Gas....using CTA's route 250 to go to & from work has saved me tons ( Driving to O'hare sucks )
my biggest expens is rent, but that's the cost to live in Evanston
I got a cheap car payment so not much money going out vs coming in, plus I get paid weekly

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
The wifey usually deals with groceries and bills me for half each month. I don't feel like we consume a whole lot, so that can't be more than ~$150/mo that she asks me for. I budget $320/mo for fuel, but usually stay under that. I try to stay around $100/week for eating out and drinking, but I think I'm usually above that.

I recently made some strict changes to my spending habits and stopped eating out for lunch every day. Made a HUGE difference. I just take a home-assembled sandwich to work now instead of spending $12-25/day at a restaurant every single day.

I use Expense Manager on my Android to track ALL of my spending. It takes some getting used to, and at first, you just see numbers and they don't mean anything, but if you try to make a significant change in your spending, get set in it for 2 months or so, then go back and compare the numbers in those spending categories, you'll see the difference. I made a "work lunch" category and went from at least $150-$190/mo to under $70/mo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info