It's not so funny anymore, is it?

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
So I was coming to a merge and this guy behind me decided to be a dick and try and not let me in. So he squeezed between me and the curb and he hit my mirror. When he did this, he was looking over at me laughing. I honked my horn and he wouldn't stop. Luckily, there was a lot of traffic at the stop sign so I got out of my car and confronted him. He rolled down his window and I told him "You know you hit my mirror". He said "No I didn't, you hit me. I had the right of way". I told him that I was going to call the cops and he said "Go ahead", all while laughing. I said "That's fine, I have it all on video". His girlfriend was in the car.
So I end up calling the cops. They tell me not to follow him anymore, but I did for almost a mile and then ended up returning back to wear the dispatcher told me to stop. Cop pulls up. Tells me, well no big deal really, because the damage is under $500. (Cop is hot as fuck btw). Anyway she wants me to show her where it happened. I showed her the video from my dashcam and she said that it was pretty cut and dry what happened. She asked if I wanted to have him arrested and I was kind of on the fence about it at first. Then I thought to myself fuck that kid. He was laughing in my face. So I told her "yes, take him in". She ended up calling me later and told me that he showed up at the police station with his mommy. They gave him 4 tickets. I believe they were
1. Failure to report an accident.
2. Failure to render aid in an accident
3. Driving too fast for conditions
4. Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

If the kid would have pulled over and apologized, I probably would have let him go on his marry way. Since he was being a dick about it, I'm the one having the last laugh.

Here is the video. I had to take the audio out because my gf had some really NWS words for him. In the original you can hear him hit the mirror. You only need to watch the first 15 seconds or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvREQeY0qw

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
How would that be the case if he was in front of the other car. Is he supposed to come to a stop and let everyone to the right of him pass? That would make no sense to me....

That is technically the law... Nor can you really tell base on the video. Without reading the story before hand, it seems like both are equally at fault.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
That is technically the law... Nor can you really tell base on the video. Without reading the story before hand, it seems like both are equally at fault.

You can't be serious. I was following the line to merge. I was AHEAD of him. If I am ahead of him wtf am I supposed to do??? Go into the oncoming lane and get cause an accident?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It was already stated that thirdgen is responsible for the merge...

Ok but again, how far back are you supposed to yield to? Any car to the right and behind you? There is a gray area there. It's not as if the guy was racing up on him in the video or was making an emergency maneuver. It was a slow pass. If anything I think that puts the onus of responsibility on the other driver. You can always slow down. You can't always move over. Between the two of them, the other driver easily could have slowed down to avoid an accident as the "failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident" charge would seem to indicate.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Ok but again, how far back are you supposed to yield to? Any car to the right and behind you? There is a gray area there. It's not as if the guy was racing up on him in the video or was making an emergency maneuver. It was a slow pass. If anything I think that puts the onus of responsibility on the other driver. You can always slow down. You can't always move over. Between the two of them, the other driver easily could have slowed down to avoid an accident as the "failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident" charge would seem to indicate.

But see, that's not the point and that's not the law. The guy not merging doesn't have to yield, at all. Is it easier for him to slow down? Yes. Does the law force him to slow down? No.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info