Mike K Drives: BMW 535D - Rolling Coal Edition

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So my accountant made me aware of the fact that if I put a vehicle in my company name I can write it off, like the whole thing. The caveat is that I can't simply put my car in the business name because I would a. pay taxes on it and b. can't write off payments. You can only write off depreciation which is capped at something like $3000 a year for luxury cars. So I'd have to get something new. Challenge accepted.

2015-BMW-535d-Wheel-Drive-on-Top-10-Best-Gas-Mileage-Luxury-Cars.jpg

This is the 2015 BMW 535D. As you can imagine, the D stands for diesel and with only 255hp you might think it's a slug but you'd be wrong. Does it live up to my lofty expectations? Let's go for a ride and see! Or you can just stop here because yes, yes it does.

Drivetrain

I've got almost no experience with diesels outside of driving old Ford Powerstroke trucks and my dad's 1984 Maxima which didn't have enough power to go up hills, needed to be left on overnight when it was cold out (or it wouldn't start) and had so much exhaust drone that my folk's bought me a Walkman and left it in the back seat of the car for when we all went out. So I didn't know what to expect.

Power delivery is smooth and torquey as you'd expect. There is never a sign that this car is as underpowered as 255hp would suggest. The 415 lb/ft of torque has a lot to do with that. In fact, in daily stoplight to stoplight driving the diesel feels stronger than just about anything I've owned. About the closest thing I can imagine as far as how power delivery feels would be the Tesla. You have so much torque right off of idle. It's a sensation a gas engine can't match.

The only indication that this is a diesel engine is the low redline and the obnoxious amount of torque. There's no chatter, no noise and no roughness. I'm pretty sure almost anybody, car enthusiast or not, could drive this car hard, get out and have no idea they were driving a diesel.

It Gets Better

Fuel efficiency is staggering for a car this size that moves out as well as it does. In this city you can expect 26mpg which is nothing to sneeze at for an executive sedan. Where it shines though is on the expressway where you can squeak out a Ford Fusion Hybrid embarrassing 38 miles to the gallon. Thirty Eight. That's obscene.

2015-BMW-528-Sedan-i-4dr-Rear-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Interior.png

Interior

Audi's have the nicest interiors. I think pretty much everyone agrees to that. What people don't tell you though is that Audi uses crap material and their interiors do not age gracefully. My A8 had more creaks and rattles than you'd expect from a $110,000 car and other things like the soft touch coating they put on the buttons wore off or scratched with startling ease. Then there was the dye in the leather which wore off or cracked, not to mention the leather itself which after 100,000 miles in my first A8 got so shiny that I could have clear-coated and waxed it and it would have looked better than the paint on the car.

The flip-side of that is my BMW. The interior is industrial, spartan, not nearly as luxurious as it's Audi A6 equivalent but built like a brick shithouse which I can only imagine is built very well. Everything is solid, nothing creaks because it all feels and sounds like it's as thick as the wall of a bank vault. Even the leather feels like it's a quarter inch thick. After 110,000 miles on my 550i the interior still looked amazing and after 40k on my 535 the interior still looks like new.

The higher trim levels of the new 5 series take the beauty of the Audi and the quality of the BMW and combine them into a solid, beautiful ergonomic interior. The 2011+ A8 is still my favorite to look at but after sitting in one and sitting in this I know which will stand the test of time better and it's not the Audi. The interior in the 535 is delightful.

IMG_4131.jpg

Tech

iDrive is amazing. With the newest update it's on par with Audi's MMI if not better. The iDrive knob remains but now you can use the top of it as a touchpad to enter letters, similar to MMI but with the touchpad integrated into your main control instead of being a separate device.

The 16.4" screen is huge, bright and high resolution. It's everything any reasonable person could want. Then there's my favorite: LED headlights.

design-led-02.jpg

These lights make the HIDs in my car feel like halogen bulbs. They are intensely bright and white. Aside for these there's a host of other options you can get such as a Bang & Olufsen sound system, heads up display, night vision, park assist, etc.

The Good
  • Ride - You'd never guess it weighs 600lbs more than my 5. It's very stable at speed and with properly weighted (thought slightly dead on center) steering. Handling itself
  • Looks - Less Boy Racer than the E60 5 series and a nice progression of the model line altogether. With LED headlights and the M-Sport package it's hard not to love the front end of this car.

The Great
  • Drivetrain - Smooth, torquey, quiet, efficient and coupled with probably the best auto gearbox ever put into a car: ZF's 8 speed auto.
  • Ride - Stable and sporty without being jarring. It's a confidence inducing ride, even at 4300lbs, at least in M-Sport guise.

The Bad
  • It will cost you - Base price for the 535D with no options is $58,600 delivered. Add on all the cool options and you're up to $76,000 or a difference of 16 Grand Prixs.

Overview

This is the 5 to get unless you're looking for all out speed. It's fast, it handles amazingly well, it's cabin is a wonderful place to spend some time and it's as efficient as many popular hybrids. It's best of all worlds and Chris Harris likes it so there's that too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0ZLlmRI-M

To those that think BMW has lost their way

I'd argue that this car, and largely the 5 series in general, is a perfect example of everything that's right with BMW. The current 5 series is better than the previous generation in every way imaginable but one. It's interior is loads better, it's a more solid feeling car, it's a very competent handler and it has a slew of amazing engines to choose from and there's literally not a bad choice in the batch.

There is a natural progression that comes with new models. The new version of an old car takes the foundation of what was there and improves upon it. This isn't that. This is a different car. This and my car are only alike in name. The newer 5 series is a better car for 95% of consumers out there. It's not that my car is junk, it's not. It's that the F10 5 series represents such a significant bump in performance, luxury and driving dynamics without any accompanying sacrifices. It's the perfect car.

So what's the one way it comes up short from it's predecessor? Enthusiasts. My car is 3700lbs. The 535D is something like 4300lbs. You can only hide so much of that weight. If you're looking for an all out sports car that can churn out 500hp with very little investment, is perfectly balanced and probably still the best all around performance sedan to date (with tuning), the 2008-2010 535 is it but most people buying these cars don't care about that and the new car improves upon everything else and is probably still 90% as capable and leaps and bounds better than what Audi or Mercedes are offering up as far as driver's experience goes. BMW hasn't lost it's way at all.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not that you own this, its what's right with BMW and the best 5 series ever? I'm trying not to laugh but I see a pattern.

I said the E60 is probably the best sports sedan ever and cars like this 535 are everything that's right with BMW right now and they are. Enthusiasts represent a vast minority of the marketplace. But no, I'm not saying this is the best 5 series ever. I think the E60 is the best overall and if it's looks bother you than the E39 is right there with it. Personally, at 3600lbs, 50/50 weight distribution, neutral handling, an easy 450hp/ equal torque I can't think of a better, cheaper performance sedan than the E60 535. A 2010 is old enough that it's still light and new enough that it still has 80% of the tech of the new models. The point being though that people keep talking about how BMW has lost their way but this car is amazing for 95% of the people out there. I'm an enthusiast and if someone wanted to trade one of these straight up for my 470hp E60 I'd toss them the key fob and walk away with a grin on my face. It's an amazing car even if it's not as good of a performer on paper. In business you adapt or you die. BMW is adapting, still making amazing cars, pissing off 5% of the hardcore fan base but at the same time selling more cars than ever. People that say they lost their way are painfully misinformed.

So you need to take what I'm saying in the right context.

lololol 16 grand prix's haha. You make the cash to buy this thing by buying and selling used cinema gear??

If you want to oversimplify it, yes. If you want to break it down, moving the car expense to my company allows me to write it off which means I can pay more money while really paying the same or less out of pocket since I do mostly business driving. It also allows me to pay myself a smaller salary and take more money out of the business as a distribution which bypasses self employment taxes. So there are a bunch of advantages.

Lol @ the options list described in Grand Prix value.

I agree with you though, the CarGuyCarl inside of me still likes the E60 more. But this generation looks much more grown up, and the interior looks years ahead. For whatever reason, they're much smaller on the inside versus their E60 brethren. But honestly, even the base 528is are amazingly refined, quiet, and fuel efficient. Never got to drive a diesel. But my work has a 535i Active hybrid, and that thing was just staggering. Very very quick, and it was eerie to be cruising down 290 with no motor running... Hahaha

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah I know, but what is the price now?
I was just wondering.

27k shipped to your door! Get it fast before the dealer does! :noes:

I agree with you though, the CarGuyCarl inside of me still likes the E60 more. But this generation looks much more grown up, and the interior looks years ahead. For whatever reason, they're much smaller on the inside versus their E60 brethren. But honestly, even the base 528is are amazingly refined, quiet, and fuel efficient. Never got to drive a diesel. But my work has a 535i Active hybrid, and that thing was just staggering. Very very quick, and it was eerie to be cruising down 290 with no motor running... Hahaha

Agree on everything... Even the 528i with the turbo four and no options is a nice refined car. It's not fast and you're not going to go canyon carving with it but it's a great daily unlike the base model 528i E60 which was basically a big 3 series.

Here's the funny thing about that hybrid. It's marginally faster to 60mph than the diesel (5.4 seconds vs 5.6) and it gets 23 miles to the gallon in city driving and 30 on the expressway whereas the diesel is cheaper and gets 26/38. The diesel makes the hybrid obsolete.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Do You Need Anything More Than A BMW 320d?

I have a really short answer to that: no. Chris Harris seems to agree.

BMW 320d M Sport Touring: The Jalopnik European Review

Since car makers haven't brought all their delights to the U.S., we have to hunt down these…

I also drove the coupe version to Prague and the less powerful 318d wagon on my way to the NĂĽrburgring, and these cars really manage to tick all the boxes. No wonder everybody wants to beat the 3 Series, with Jaguar being the latest in the queue.

Say what you will about BMW, but they do know how to make a diesel family car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrXFTL_6pw

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
I had an E90 335d before I bought my Audi. It was a nice car, had decent power, got great mileage, and it was fun to drive. But It was broken at the dealer more than it was in my possession. As soon as the warranty was up I dumped it. I like my Audi much better than the BMW actually.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info