New business, Mining landfills.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
You know there have been many landfills over the years, covered up and built on or turned into golf courses or poisonous lakes (Lake Blackwell).

I was wondering why no one mines the old ones?

My father worked for Amoco research for 35 years. He would tell me that they replaced a lot of computer parts, many of them had gold connectors and components that weren't worth a ton back then. People used to just throw away stuff that we find valuable now.
I am thinking just the mineral resources, real tin from tin cans.. hell people used to throw cars away in landfills (and a couple of thousand other things)

Just an interesting idea for a business.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Aren't closed landfills protected from being disturbed though? Covered/built on landfills from back in the day are likely private property, and probably aren't open for excavating, especially a golf course. I have heard stories of old landfills/junk yards that have been buried/built on top of in populated areas you'd never think of. I could imagine plenty of precious metals scattered around in them, but I just don't see a good ROI.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I have no idea if they are protected.

You guys are talking about recycling current electronics that use an electroplating technique that uses almost no material. I am talking about the old stuff that was a hell of a lot thicker. I was sort of wondering when it becomes feasible to mine the old landfills. Think about all the other stuff we used to just throw away.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
i didn't read but briefly scrolled past an article saying something about how landfills contain co2 and other gasses or something for environmental benefit. i would suppose in some ways mining of some fashion might be worth it at some point. wouldn't jump into that fun right now

I always kind of half wondered if we capture the methane buildup within the landfill for fuel?

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I have many drilled wells at many different landfills. Many landfills are highly engineered with methane and leachate collection systems. No way in hell anyone is going to let anyone just start digging them up.

As for the much older not so engineered and old illegal dumps. Usually they have issues with leaking contaminants into the groundwater table and sometimes methane traveling through the cracks in the soils and/or bedrock. Sometimes retrofitted with collection systems and or just capped off with highly compacted clay layer not to be penetrated or built apon.

It's definitely possible to but I think the cost and legal hoops and red tape would make it cost prohibitive. It would take a minor undertaking along with moving or storing the waste removed.

About 13 years ago while drilling at a landfill in Grayslake. I came cross a sample of old newspaper about 40' down. The appearance of the news papers looked almost as if the papers just came off the printing press. When I looked through it, turns out the news papers where from the 1960's.

A lack of oxygen prevents a lot of materials that would normally decompose quickly takes a much long period of time to decompose while buried.

I'm tired.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I have many drilled wells at many different landfills. Many landfills are highly engineered with methane and leachate collection systems. No way in hell anyone is going to let anyone just start digging them up.

As for the much older not so engineered and old illegal dumps. Usually they have issues with leaking contaminants into the groundwater table and sometimes methane traveling through the cracks in the soils and/or bedrock. Sometimes retrofitted with collection systems and or just capped off with highly compacted clay layer not to be penetrated or built apon.

It's definitely possible to but I think the cost and legal hoops and red tape would make it cost prohibitive. It would take a minor undertaking along with moving or storing the waste removed.

About 13 years ago while drilling at a landfill in Grayslake. I came cross a sample of old newspaper about 40' down. The appearance of the news papers looked almost as if the papers just came off the printing press. When I looked through it, turns out the news papers where from the 1960's.

A lack of oxygen prevents a lot of materials that would normally decompose quickly takes a much long period of time to decompose while buried.

I'm tired.

Supposedly this is how dumps will be "mined." I was reading a story on a brick factory that intended to power 100% off dump methane. It blows my mind how much gas that is, and also how much gas they shoot up the stacks at refineries. I would have thought they would have built a generator to reclaim it by now. I mean, it could plausibly run a large portion of the plant especially with today's modern control systems.

Disposal - Landfill gas power plant | Sonoma County Waste Management Agency | Sonoma County, CA

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Supposedly this is how dumps will be "mined." I was reading a story on a brick factory that intended to power 100% off dump methane. It blows my mind how much gas that is, and also how much gas they shoot up the stacks at refineries. I would have thought they would have built a generator to reclaim it by now. I mean, it could plausibly run a large portion of the plant especially with today's modern control systems.

Disposal - Landfill gas power plant | Sonoma County Waste Management Agency | Sonoma County, CA

There are many landfill that collect the methane and burn it produce electricity and sell it to the power companies for a while now.

Mallard Lake landfill does.

I've recently seen that instead of landfills collecting, processing and treating the leachate waste. They are collecting the leachate and spraying/spreading it on top of each layer of trash that helps compact it even more so more trash can be compacted and squeezed into the given space.

It's pretty interesting stuff.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Okay, you guys raise some really good points. Maybe we will live long enough that this might happen, 50 something years or so.
This started with a story at my Dad's old work. They were upgrading these old switches with thick gold connectors to the new digital ones (this was the 70's) the guy in charge hid all of the old switches under the drop floor (a crawlspace under the floor in server rooms to run cables and such). Everybody new these things were down there collecting dust but didn't care, then one day the guy retired and the switches all disappeared. Best estimates is that there was several thousand dollars worth of gold at the time in the switches,
Many of them were hand made in the states, the accounting office saw 20 bucks of gold in the 70's in each switch and decided to chuck them, there were hundreds of these switches.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
You want to make some money, Go strip wire and hoard the copper until its worth scrapping. You will get Copper 2 prices which are about $2.55 a lb.... Shit just collect whatever copper scrap you can find and save it. I do that sometimes with scrap wire, I throw it in a bucket and wait until I have over 50lbs+ and bring it in for beer money ect... I made a wire stripper by using a pipe flare kit and putting a razer blade in it, Insert wire in the hole and pull it through, Strips the coating right off in 2 seconds, No fucking around...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info