Would the TCG community be interested in something like this?

Would an app like this interest you?

• Hell ya

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
First, please please please vote in the poll after you're done reading.

So I'm working on a prototype of this idea but dont really want to share it or work on it further if there is minimal interest. I talked to a few people about it last night at Lukes and today and the response has been pretty positive so I'd like to open this up to the entire forum.

The idea - An official, all encompassing, TCG app. What this means to you, the member: You open said app and are greeted with a few tabs that house all things TCG...the forum, the fb page, our youtube channel, TCG photos, a live tab to share pics from meets as they happen, etc etc.

The forum works just as it would if you were using your own phone browser (almost feels a bit smoother). You remain logged in when you exit the app, etc. The only hitch is if you are browsing a thread, decide to jump to the FB tab then back to the forum, the forum tab resets to the homepage. Not much I can do about that right now.

The FB functionality is there as you are able to comment and like (but not post to the page, which isnt a huge deal). The caveat there is that you need to be logged into FB on your phone, which isnt an issue for most.

The youtube channel would open vids in your native YT app, which works well.

The app would be free to you guys and found in the play store and app store. It would be regularly updated just like other apps. There might be an update for a new tab that highlights an event, or a sale for a vendor, etc. You will never get notifications from me or shit like that.

The thought behind all this is to give you a one stop source for the community. For those who are regularly active, it might not serve a ton of use but for those that only check in once in awhile or dont actively check FB, this gives them a chance to see everything going on with us. The beta version I have works very well and is pretty slick.

Before I proceed tho, I need to know if you guys would a) download the app and b) use it. A lot of you dont use tapatalk and post via your browser, so this app would be right up your alley. Those who are power tapa users, such as myself, it wouldnt be a priority app but would be nice to have.

So there is it. Would welcome thoughts and feedback.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Id give it a shot.

You should add a "check into event" tab. That way if you have the app and you are at a tcg event, you can post in that tab so people can see what members are there and meet them in person.

Id have to look into that more but there is likely a way to do that. As it stands now, the closets thing to that is using the Live Meet tab and uploading pics from your phone as you attend a track day or something.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Need to be able to vote from tappa. But I think it's useful with having a tab for events and maybe a tab for hot topics like you see on the browser.

I'd probably have it and use it. Tappa is great but it is lacking in some ways also.

I dont control tapa. I wish I did. Its definitely lacking for some things.

I was definitely thinking of doing a tab once in a while for hot forum topics or hilarious threads, yadda yadda.

Some changes I make are automatically pushed to the app so you dont need to update. I think adding tabs requires an actual app update.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Id have to look into that more but there is likely a way to do that. As it stands now, the closets thing to that is using the Live Meet tab and uploading pics from your phone as you attend a track day or something.

Yea it would just need to be a basic list showing members "checked in" to an event. Obviously that user would need to initiate the check in from the app.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I'd support this forum in any way that I could but I will be honest in saying I'd not use this app. I don't use tapatalk now nor do I like the mobile version of vbulletin on any of the forums I use. I don't want to sit here and say "hell yeah" just because I want to support this site when reality is I'd never use the app. Hope that makes sense.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Will you buy a GTR with the money made from this app?

If free buys a gtr, then sure.

I'd support this forum in any way that I could but I will be honest in saying I'd not use this app. I don't use tapatalk now nor do I like the mobile version of vbulletin on any of the forums I use. I don't want to sit here and say "hell yeah" just because I want to support this site when reality is I'd never use the app. Hope that makes sense.

This goes beyond just forum browsing but I respect your point.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

Pretty much this. I don't really browse TCG on my phone that much and I don't use tapa on any forums I'm on. If made, I'll probably give it a shot with my ipad but no guarantees on long term use. I do like the concept though.

Thread Info