Anyone know a lot about media servers?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I don't even really know what I'm asking, so I'll just describe my scenario.

I have a bunch of movies that I ripped onto my hard drive. For a while, I was able to use Windows Media Player on my desktop PC to create a home network and connect to my Wifi enabled TV. For the life of me, I can't get the TV to detect the home network anymore and I know a little more than jack shit on networking.

Is there some software or hardware I could buy that would allow me to stream HD content to my TV? I was reading about 'media servers' and it sounds like a dedicated hardware that is completely separate from the computer on which you can put all your movies. Then your TV can connect to it.

I'm wondering if that is the better option as the speed is probably better than my current PC. When I would stream before, it didn't like any fast forwarding or rewinding and the movie would lock up. The movie would run fine, but you just couldn't skip around.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
unplug your tv. unplug your router. wait 30secs. plug both in. then try reconnecting the tv

I'll give that a whirl. I would prefer to get the old set-up working again as it is the cheapest route. I went back and checked all the settings and the WMP was set to allow streaming, but the stupid TV couldn't find the network.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'll give that a whirl. I would prefer to get the old set-up working again as it is the cheapest route. I went back and checked all the settings and the WMP was set to allow streaming, but the stupid TV couldn't find the network.

are there other wireless networks around that the tv sees? if not, can you setup a hotspot on your phone and see if ot sees/connects. if it doesnt detect any networks then the tv wifi card may have failed.

at this point its process of elimination to see whats failing

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The computer has been rebooted many time, but I haven't tried power cycling the TV. I have also power cycled the router/modem.

If the tv can get online then it should be able to see the computer UNLESS the service that does the streaming is not running on the computer.

Verify both are connected to your wifi.

Next, Get your tv IP address.

Then From the computer, press start, and type in cmd and hit enter. (assuming Windows 7) this will open command prompt. Within cmd, type "ping x.x.x.x" without the quotes and x.x.x.x = tv ip address. If you get a response and not "response timed out" then your computer can connect to the tv and can see it.

If that does respond then 100% sure its the media service not running on the pc

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Pretty sure roku supports plex. Just go that route.

I'd prefer to not have to spend money though.

I just spent stupid money on fixing the Mustang and now I'm getting new tires for the G8. I just want to figure out how to get the TV to 'see' the home network again.

I hate waiting for Blurays to load and go through all the menus & BS. I remember when DVD's would go almost immediately to the scene selection or 'play movie' option.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'd prefer to not have to spend money though.

I just spent stupid money on fixing the Mustang and now I'm getting new tires for the G8. I just want to figure out how to get the TV to 'see' the home network again.

I hate waiting for Blurays to load and go through all the menus & BS. I remember when DVD's would go almost immediately to the scene selection or 'play movie' option.

Im pretty sure it sees the network if you can get youtube. The issue is it doesnt see the computer anymore or the tv/pc is connected to different networks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info