Good Cigars

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have a buddy in town that I'm meeting tomorrow up in Siesta Key. He likes cigars as much as I do so I wanted to pick up some good ones we can enjoy tomorrow night at Capt. Kurt's while we sit outside, have some drinks and listen to the local music.

I was looking on the web for a quality cigar shop and found one in town that I have not seen before. It's a block off the main road (Tamiami Trail) and hard to find. I liked the website so decided to check it out.

I'm blown away when I walk in the door. Italian leather seats everywhere, a fridge full of craft beers, expensive cigar smoke just barely noticeable in the air and a half dozen well dressed guys BSing while sitting around smoking. Am I still in Port Charlotte? This place belongs in Chicago or Miami.

The humidor room is cool with wisps of fog in the air. The cigars are fresh and appealing. Directly inside the door are $31 Padrons. I discussed my needs with the Maitre D type who followed me into the room. I had a list of some well reviewed cigars and, except for the Cubans, he had nearly every one in stock. I ended up buying some Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No. 2s, Buenaventura BV560s and Hemingway Short Stories. Reasonable prices. Not cheap but not ridiculous. It was $50 for half a dozen with the Don Carlos costing the most at $12.35 each.

I just finished one of the Short Stories and I am happily buzzed. Cigar buzzed. The cigar burned perfectly and tasted great. If the Don Carlos are at least as good, I'll be happy again tomorrow. What a joy finding a place like this in town. I'll have to go back some time and have a couple beers and a quality smoke. Who knows, maybe Cubans will come out after they get to know me.

I have no idea how their mail order is but here's the website if anyone wants to check them out. This is the best cigar store I have found down here so far.

www.tobaccolocker.com

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Im still trying to smoke these down. So good.

IMG_0715.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have had a lot of stogies in my day. The main thing I have discovered is that alot of them are pretty good so I don't mind trying anything. My favorite to this day is a Cohiba XV. It is a very dark cigar, but super smooth, burns great, and gave me a nice mellow buzz that lasted a bit. They are hard to find around here any more.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I smoked a Padron 50th Anniversary tonight. Very good. Cigar buzz working well. I chickened out and got the regular version instead of the Maduro which was #4 ranked cigar of 2013. Gonna try the maduro next time.

First third was too mild but smooth. 2nd third really kicked the flavor in gear. 3rd third ruled.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
There are a lot of different Montecristos. Some are rated high, some not so high.

The 2013 Cigar Aficionado top 25 is a good place to start looking for quality cigars. I have been sampling the top 10 and have no complaints (except for price) so far.

The 25 Best Cigars of 2013 | Top 25 | Cigar Aficionado

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
What do you guys think of Montecristos? Thats the smoke I usually pick up for my dad on a special occasion.

I got a box of media noches a while back and they were fantastic, if you like maduros. I was only supposed to get a 5 pack from cigarbid, but they screwed up and sent out boxes :rofl: Didnt take them long to realize their mistake and I got an email saying they'd send a call tag to pick up the box (minus the 5 i paid for) or I could keep them and they'd charge me. Unfortunately at that point I'd already smoked one, and it was so good I didn't wanna part w/ the rest, so I kept the box :rofl: I really need to get some more of those now that I'm thinking about it....

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Best cigar I have ever smoked was this Cuban Montecristo that a guy I knew gave to me. He owned his own cigar shop and the guy that rented one of the humidor "lockers" passed away. I was there when he opened it up and gave that cuban to me to have (since i just spent a shit load of money in his store on other stuff). Evidently it was maturing in that humidor for over 5 years ( the guy was unsure on the time, but he said it was at least 5 years since he saw this old timer come into the store. I have never had a cigar to this day that was that smooth and flavorful. For some reason it tasted like a creamy hazelnutt cigar even though it was a non-flavored one. Awesome shit. I have have had several Cohiba cubans, and a few other brands, and they have not come anywhere close. Maybe the cigar was aged so well :dunno: That place has since closed down...sucks donkey balls.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I just finished a Padron 1964 50th Anniversary Diplomatico Maduro. It finished #4 on the 2013 top 25. Best Maduro I ever had. Milder than most Maduros. It's aged tobacco rolled in a Maduro wrapper by Padron. $13.60 each and worth it. The cigar looks, smells and feels impressive. It's a quality cigar from the first toke all the way down. Next up is the Davidoff Nicaragua Toro that finished #3.

Cigar4 | 2013 | Top 25 | Cigar Aficionado

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Oliva Serie-G with a maduro wrapper is my go-to cigar. I'm a fan of Maduros in general.

Fuente also puts out a few good ones. Anything in the Fuente Fuente/Opus X line is a great cigar...as it should be. Their Hemingways are a great, affordable stick as well. I was never a fan of the short stories...I always got a shitty, uneven burn with them.

The Drew Estate non-flavored stuff is great as well, but good luck finding their more popular stuff...It flies off the shelves. Undercrowns are a great go-to cigar.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Fine print: (please be aware that due to local regulations, we are unable to ship Cuban cigars to the US) http://www.topcubans.com/info-faq/shipping-and-handling.php

Watch out for fake Cubans, they are all over the place. Most legitimate companies, like this one seems to be, will not ship Cubans to America.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.