I suck at bikes.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I need help to not suck at bikes but I'm not sure what to do. We live in the Hollywood hills and many of our roads are really steep grades, like 33% for the main artery taking you in or out of the neighborhood.

So my go to "stay at home" exercise has always been running but I suck at running. It's the worst. I hate it. I hate people that post a picture of their fitness watch after a 10 mile run and make statements like "Oh what a refreshing run!". I hope they get arthritis. Well, not really but in that moment…

So what I have always done and been good at is biking. Part of my daily exercise routing used to be a stint around the 8 mile loop at Busse Woods and then later on I upgraded to a mountain bike and did back trails at the forest preserve in Kildeer.

The trail riding was definitely more difficult and required better balance, short bursts of power, etc but I didn't have a problem with it. It was doable.

So fast forward to now. I nix the running and go out to buy myself a bike. I find a gem on Craigslist. A carbon fiber/ aluminum hybrid racing bike. It's perfect. And then I go out… And it sucks.

You see to get out of my neighborhood I need to go either down a 33% grade for 1.5 miles or up a 33% grade for 1.5 miles. The longest I'd do a 33% grade in Kildeer would be maybe 20 - 30 feet. This is a sustained 1.5 mile ascent. Here's the problem: I get to a point where I need to stop every 300 - 400 and rest for a minute or two because I'm spent.

So then I make it to Mulholland (top of the hill) where it's largely flat and now I'm just wasted from going up this 33% grade out of the neighborhood. So even though it's flat, the lightest incline at this point is burning me out.

On the trip back home the problem is reversed. Now the incline is so steep and the bike so fast that I can basically coast for 2 miles right up to my door. So that part of the ride isn't effective at all.

This bike was a commuter bike down in the flat part of LA. Because of that the previous owner converted it to a single front chainring and put a larger one on. This made the bike torquey but impossible to go up hills without immediately burning yourself out. So I swapped it out for a smaller front ring which would be perfect for around town and is 100% better on the hills but I'm still burning out.

So if you got this far, here's my question:

Is a 33% grade 1.5 mile ascent something that a reasonable rider would be able to eventually work through and incorporate into their daily routing or am I putting unrealistic expectations on myself here? It's pretty discouraging. I have this bad ass bike that I borderline can't use because I just completely exhaust myself.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
2013-11-27-09_57_51.gif

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
This is a single speed bike? Expecting to be able to climb 33% inclines in the same gear you're doing level ground in isn't really realistic unless you are some sort of beast. If it has different gears in the back I'd just stick with it in the easiest gear until you build up more endurance. It is possible the bike just isn't setup for the type of riding you are doing though.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This is a single speed bike? Expecting to be able to climb 33% inclines in the same gear you're doing level ground in isn't really realistic unless you are some sort of beast. If it has different gears in the back I'd just stick with it in the easiest gear until you build up more endurance. It is possible the bike just isn't setup for the type of riding you are doing though.

No, it's a road bike that basically had the two front cogs removed in lieu of a single, larger front cog. So it still has all the rear cog adjustability.

ejurajav.jpg

I dont know anything about biking or hill grades...but it sounds like you've got your own custom HIIT routine going right now. I'd say just keep at it...eventually you're not going to need as many breaks and it wont take as much out of you.

Ha, that's kind of the same thing I was thinking.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I need help to not suck at bikes but I'm not sure what to do. We live in the Hollywood hills and many of our roads are really steep grades, like 33% for the main artery taking you in or out of the neighborhood.

So my go to "stay at home" exercise has always been running but I suck at running. It's the worst. I hate it. I hate people that post a picture of their fitness watch after a 10 mile run and make statements like "Oh what a refreshing run!". I hope they get arthritis. Well, not really but in that moment…

So what I have always done and been good at is biking. Part of my daily exercise routing used to be a stint around the 8 mile loop at Busse Woods and then later on I upgraded to a mountain bike and did back trails at the forest preserve in Kildeer.

The trail riding was definitely more difficult and required better balance, short bursts of power, etc but I didn't have a problem with it. It was doable.

So fast forward to now. I nix the running and go out to buy myself a bike. I find a gem on Craigslist. A carbon fiber/ aluminum hybrid racing bike. It's perfect. And then I go out… And it sucks.

You see to get out of my neighborhood I need to go either down a 33% grade for 1.5 miles or up a 33% grade for 1.5 miles. The longest I'd do a 33% grade in Kildeer would be maybe 20 - 30 feet. This is a sustained 1.5 mile ascent. Here's the problem: I get to a point where I need to stop every 300 - 400 and rest for a minute or two because I'm spent.

So then I make it to Mulholland (top of the hill) where it's largely flat and now I'm just wasted from going up this 33% grade out of the neighborhood. So even though it's flat, the lightest incline at this point is burning me out.

On the trip back home the problem is reversed. Now the incline is so steep and the bike so fast that I can basically coast for 2 miles right up to my door. So that part of the ride isn't effective at all.

This bike was a commuter bike down in the flat part of LA. Because of that the previous owner converted it to a single front chainring and put a larger one on. This made the bike torquey but impossible to go up hills without immediately burning yourself out. So I swapped it out for a smaller front ring which would be perfect for around town and is 100% better on the hills but I'm still burning out.

So if you got this far, here's my question:

Is a 33% grade 1.5 mile ascent something that a reasonable rider would be able to eventually work through and incorporate into their daily routing or am I putting unrealistic expectations on myself here? It's pretty discouraging. I have this bad ass bike that I borderline can't use because I just completely exhaust myself.

I would recommend at least a 21speed road bike. I've hit 27mph on my bike and still had more pedal power to go higher but was too much of a puss to keep on going...gearing is everything going up and down hills.

How many speeds is the bike you are currently using?

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Pulling grades like that wears your equipment out fast too. When I used to ride 30 miles daily on hilly terrain was the most fit I have been. I never rode past a runner wanting to look like any of them. To me most runners look like they are near death (no offense to you hardcore runners on TCG). I ran a full suspension mtb on Michelin treaded radials. The simple a-arm rear suspension sucked for hills though.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Mike, post a pic of the OTHER side of the bike.

I'd suggest getting a front derailleur and either new chain rings or just a new compact crank. Without know what you've got on there I can't suggest much more.

You'll get better the more you ride. It's really the only way to get stronger. Climb as long as you can than take a break.

That was me being nice. In reality man the fuck up. I have a single ring on all my bikes and climb fucking mountains with them. :s00ls:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info