BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Fawk this.
I-70-Stadium-Boulevard-diverging-diamond.png

Edit: Actually, that's a pretty interesting design. The more I look at the overhead, the more sense it makes. Doesn't seem very obvious in traffic tho. As long as the exit only lanes are marked clearly, it should be okay.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
It's ok if you don't understand it. It improves delay and within a week or two of opening will smooth over and be trouble free. They've been installed in Missouri and Utah with minor issues.

There are absolutely no delays whatsoever as it is right now. But I suppose if they want a full interchange there, they have limited space to do anything else.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
There is always delay.

but this moves the turn movements so that you are free flow RT and LT while reducing conflict points of a traditional intersection.

If you have room you can place a roundabout at either end and you remove all signals and have something of beauty but the space required is quite extensive.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
I can see why people won't like it. Having to turn a bit before getting to the intersection.
It had better be well lit at night and salted in the winter or they'll be going over curves, sliding into the next lane right before they stop.

If it lessens traffic tho I'm all for it.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
It will create much more cars and work trucks and semis coming through the area . I grew up in the area and that section of elmhurst is busy enough . you only used to be able to get off and on i90 certain ways at that location . Now if people can get on and off both ways , the masses will use this intersection just like higgins road and 355 (woodfield mall) . morning during the week will be crazy mass cars .

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
There is a diverging diamond currently under construction at Rt 59 and I-88 in Naperville/Aurora near my work. Long project...

It's 2 years away from completion I believe and combining that with il59 widening it turns into a parking lot. When constructed you're going to fly through the area.

So John Q. Taxpayer is forking over $54 million dollars for two additional I90 access points. Brilliant.

The interchange was probably in need of rehab and also needed widening. They like to roll these projects in to get the most bang for the buck. Hardly a waste.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
The interchange was probably in need of rehab and also needed widening. They like to roll these projects in to get the most bang for the buck. Hardly a waste.
Has IDOT released ROI figures for this public investment? Beyond stating that the interchange was first constructed in 1958, there is no information claiming the bridge was structurally deficient nor that the interchange was operating well beyond maximum operating figures.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
So John Q. Taxpayer is forking over $54 million dollars for two additional I90 access points. Brilliant.

Elmhurst Road Interchange Project at I-90 - www.illinoistollway.com

I didn't not see/read anything about additional I90 access points.

If your talking about diverging diamond? They may build the bridge that way without the entrance/exit from the west side of the bridge like it is now.

Edit: My bad. I didn't read the other link till now.

The Elmhurst Road and I-90 interchange was built in 1958 when much of the traffic flow centered on travel between Chicago and the suburbs. As a result, existing ramps only allow access to and from the east. Now with more diverse traffic patterns and suburb-to-suburb commuting, the interchange will be rebuilt to allow access to and from the west.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info