I snagged a PNY 120GB SSD on Amazon for $32 yesterday, just got an email...

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Dear James,

Thanks for your purchase from us on Amazon yesterday for 120GB XLR8 Solid State Drive . As you may have guessed, this was an extraordinarily low price, and well ... that's because the price was an error. Not only was the price an error, our supplier didn't even have them available.

We took over 350 orders for this within 5 minutes. You folks sure know how to find a deal quickly! Anyway, we spent the rest of the day trying to figure out why our distributor pushed this item (and at that price) into our Amazon feed. You see, this supplier is one of the nation's largest suppliers and powers the inventory and pricing of nearly every Amazon reseller. When they accidentally added that SKU, QTY, and PRICE into their datafeed, it went live on hundreds of sellers' accounts erroneously. [It's true, it was available at that price from several different sellers]

Here's the GOOD NEWS:
We spent the entire day hashing through this mistake with our supplier. They conceded it was their mistake and committed to try and resolve it. We've been waiting since yesterday to hear back from the supplier, who had to contact the manufacturer, PNY.

I just heard back from the supplier today and they informed me that PNY is having more manufactured and will be shipping more of these to them ASAP. THAT MEANS WE WILL BE ABLE TO FULFILL YOUR ORDER AT THE PRICE PROMISED, even at a considerable loss.

The BAD NEWS?
Since there was no inventory available and PNY doesn't even have these in their warehouses yet, it will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to ship the order.

SO WHAT's the BOTTOM LINE HERE?

Here's the bottom line. This is on backorder and should ship anywhere between 2-4 weeks. You'll get reminders from Amazon that the item(s) haven't shipped yet (as will we).

If you wish to keep the drive on backorder, you don't need to take any action.

If you'd rather not wait on this "too good to be true-because it was!" deal and would prefer to cancel the order, simply follow these instructions:

[...]

Sincerely,
The HPP Enterprises Team

I was worried for a minute there, but fuck it, I can wait :dunno: I do feel a little bad for them though. I was just shocked at the incident-specific update, instead of a generic Amazon "there's been a delay with your order, sorry" email.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
You ordered a few right?

I have no use for the one I bought :rofl:, I just couldn't pass it up for that price.

That's cool they aren't trying to snake out of it.

Yeah, you can tell they're a little upset about it from that email, but definitely good on them for following through.

IMO, the "distributor" who allegedly fucked up the price should be the one taking the hit, but that's their business. :dunno:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
amazon takes care of their customers more than anyone else i can think of.

I have no clue what you bought, but I'm glad to see a company stand up for their mistake and fulfill their order.

about 6-7 years ago- i ordered a wifi-pandora radio for my mom off amazon with my bro and sis for her for xmas- before that technology was ridiculously easy and commonplace...was like 125$ or something... my dad has two dogs that are big... part husky and other stuff... they attack and devour anything and everything in "their yard"... our fence has signs warning delivery drivers to not put packages in the yard.

needless to say... driver dumped it in the yard... dogs obliterated it... ripped it the fuck apart... and the radio to shreds.

amazon sent us a new one no questions asked.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes

I am like you with Amazon. I have Prime and take advantage of the subscribe & save, and overall am a huge fanboy lol. Just at the end of the day, if it was a genuine error caused by an affiliate, I would have no problem if they apologized and refunded the money. :dunno: In this case though, it seems like you're right, and Amazon is holding "the HPP Enterprises team" accountable and making them honor the price.

But again, if this had been purchased from Amazon directly I am pretty sure it would have been a different outcome.

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA

my company takes amazing care of its customers also. (as well as its employees). we are also one of there biggest competitors. but its still nice seeing them do this. most companys would say you are sol. one thing I will say is my company will take any returns back. for example you buy a 150 dollar pair of jeans and pop a button off 5 years later. no problem send them back and you will be reimbursed lol

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
my company takes amazing care of its customers also. (as well as its employees). we are also one of there biggest competitors. but its still nice seeing them do this. most companys would say you are sol. one thing I will say is my company will take any returns back. for example you buy a 150 dollar pair of jeans and pop a button off 5 years later. no problem send them back and you will be reimbursed lol

who do you work for?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info