Scooter vs motorcycle

regalzzz

Regalzzz
Sep 15, 2008
Wheaton
Real Name
Matt
Scooters I feel would be more safe because I'm limited to the speed of 60 with a 150cc
Cheaper to insure and better on gas

On the other hand bikes look way better, more power.
Less gas mileage more to insure.

I've ridden plenty Dirt bikes and a Yamaha R6 before although for the time being I'd prefer to keep it under 500cc.

Any thoughts recommendations or know anyone who's selling theirs?
I'm leaning towards
Buell blast
Suzuki GS500
ninja 250

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
U need to be able to get out of the way with speed in some cases and a scoot just won't do.

I've been on 125 cc ruckuses and while they are quick they aren't as safe.

I've own a 04 gs500f and currently a 03 sv650n. Both great bikes. Not super powerful but good enough. Cheaper to insure then supersports. It was 300$ a year full coverage on my gs500 when I was under 25. Its now $205 full coverage for my sv650 but I'm 27 now.

I would consider a grom but for the price a used 600cc bike would be better and easier to resell.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
pothole will swallow a scooter wheel. Plus these guys make a good point on the ability to pass and navigate traffic with confidence, hence why I ride a 1340cc sport bike lol

But how often are u in the powerband. I'm jealous of the liter and higher bikes but personal I can't own one. But all I do is street ride and my sv650 seems almost perfect for that.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
pothole will swallow a scooter wheel. Plus these guys make a good point on the ability to pass and navigate traffic with confidence, hence why I ride a 1340cc sport bike lol

I'll be honest a pothole will screw up most sportbike front tires and rims unless it's a midget pothole.

That's almost the number one hazard besides other drivers in the midwest and shitty paved roads. I used to have to basically ride like I was drunk around the Chicago area.

To the OP I would buy a bike, and for sure a Ninja 250 before I ever considered a scooter. But I would consider a scooter if you only had to drive like a mile to work on small streets everyday.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Scooters I feel would be more safe because I'm limited to the speed of 60 with a 150cc
Cheaper to insure and better on gas

On the other hand bikes look way better, more power.
Less gas mileage more to insure.

I've ridden plenty Dirt bikes and a Yamaha R6 before although for the time being I'd prefer to keep it under 500cc.

Any thoughts recommendations or know anyone who's selling theirs?
I'm leaning towards
Buell blast
Suzuki GS500
ninja 250

What's your commute or planned travel distance? I don't have any personal experience either way but sounds like a pretty important piece of info to consider.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info