Anyone ever take a police test?

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Did you do it because you wanted to be a cop? Or just because?

I've been looking for a better paying job and applied for a few. I ran across a few departments though that are hiring and have been tossing the Idea around. I have never had any intention of being a cop before. I figured most people just take the test just to do it.

I texted my brother whose a cop and he said yeah take the test, but don't do it because it's higher paying job. .

Thoughts?

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Ive taken the Chicago test many years ago and passed but I ended up backing out after the physical test, which I also passed. I thought I wanted to be a cop and still kinda do but when I really really think about it, I'd rather not have the extra stress and danger in my life. Luckily ive had the same job for 13 years and didnt really need one. If I had been out of a job at the time I would probably be a CPO now. More power to all the "good" cops out there especially in Chicago.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I wanted to be a cop when I was 21-22, applied to channahon passed the test but never got called back, the job payed less than I made at the time I just wanted to be a cop, but now I'm glad I didn't get the job I made some good career choices in the same field I was in and now make more than double what I would be as a channahon officer

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
I've got a few friends that have wanted to become police officers. Always took the tests and never got the job. Like someone else said, there is usually 500+ applicants for 1-3 jobs. It's like your odds are already somewhat against you.

A lot of the police jobs are going to vets and people with military experience from what I have seen. Probably not the case everywhere though.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I wanted to be a cop when I was 21-22, applied to channahon passed the test but never got called back, the job payed less than I made at the time I just wanted to be a cop, but now I'm glad I didn't get the job I made some good career choices in the same field I was in and now make more than double what I would be as a channahon officer

Chanahon is also bufu :rofl:

raises as a cop are very good.. you start low... 50-60k (doesnt include all the overtime you get) in the suburbs.. but within 7 years you are "usually" topped out as a regular officer ~$90k (again, doesnt include overtime). Move up to sergeant and you are easily over 100k.

75% pension after 27 years.. not too bad.

Im gonna HATE taking a pay cut, but the end game is worth it :pedobear:
[MENTION=1160]itlnrob[/MENTION]

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Mike,
My cousin was in the military police and all he wanted to do was become a PO.
He got in with chicago and 5 years into it he said it was a mistake. He retired recently with full pension / benefits etc....

if you want to make more $, this may not be the job for you.
chicago hasn't had too many annual raises lately, if you make it on... you will get third shift in a shit neighborhood.

if this isnt your life's dream, i would say forget it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
To be absolutely honest, more money.

Lyondell/baselle (plant that makes plastic)is looking for operators in Morris, very competive but it starts at 65-70k base pay, Exxon Mobil will be looking for people again soon, and I'm sure citgo in lemont hires about every other year, all great paying jobs with pension and benefits, and you don't have to deal with scumbags every day like cops do lol

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
To be absolutely honest, more money.

i think you would be miserable.
what is a chgo cop starting at these days ? 47k ?

my friend is a cook county sheriff's deputy and hes got 10 years with county and he makes more than 47k.

he took the test and got called after his psych exam and he decided to stay withthe county :dunno:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
CPD starts at mid upper 40's and Im pretty sure after 2 or 3 years you are making approx 70k. Plus overtime and court who knows how much.

i will ask my friend, but i don't think they are in the 70s after a couple years.

and cops and deputies are ALWAYS looking for side gigs and OT to make more $.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info