Thankyou ajdereicup!

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
[MENTION=10521]ajdereicup[/MENTION]

My cobra failed emissions and the sticker is due next month... well she is in hibernation til springtime.

no way was I going to put cats on the car and I wasnt going through the headache to tune it to report ON.

In case you guys didnt know, apparently you cannot have rear o2's turned off anymore... you will fail.

Long story short.... ajdereicup walked me through the process to declare the car as a RACE CAR, rendering it emission-free for a couple years.

I uploaded the info today, and within 3 hours I had an email back with a sheet of paper to take to the DMV, exempting me from emissions testing and allowing me to get my new sticker!

:jg:

fuck you illinois

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
so what are the limitations? can you only have it out on certain days/mileage limits like antique cars?

Days and mileage limits are for the show cars. You need to provide a copy of the insurance showing that it can only be driving so many miles a year and can only be driven on some days and they require mileage on the form for the EPA. For race cars they say they just need pictures because they understand a lot of people won't insure race cars.

I had one person mention it might screw you over if you get into an accident and an insurance company sees it as a race car and says it's a race car it's not supposed to be on the streets. But I found this which makes sense

"I drive the car everyday from april-november. It is ONLY through the EPA. Basically it's a waiver that they take a look at (you send them pictures and write mileage down) and then they send you a letter saying you are exempt (if they feel your car is a "race car"). It has nothing to do with the state, registration, insurance or anything like that. Cops have no idea when they pull you over at all. I spoke with my insurance agent long and hard about this whole deal and explained what i wanted to do (just pass emissions, legally or not) lol. He said of coarse for the "show car" affidavit you would need a "show car" insurance policy which gets pricey and there are mileage restrictions. For "race car" though, the EPA realizes that most people will not have insurance on a "race car" nor will it pass emissions. The only requirement is that you re-submit the form every 2 years. Like i said, there is a place to write the current mileage down, although it doesn't state anywhere that there is a limit (what if it's a road race car and i put a couple hundred miles on it every season... at least that's my take on it) I am only on my 2nd year of this, but i plan to up my mileage from the first mileage i listed by 100 miles or so, just to play it safe. Illegal, yes i suppose but shit i'm not hurting anybody and it saves me from spending more on tuning this pig."

If the EPA approves you they just put it in the computer as you are OK to get your plate renewed. It doesn't say plate allowed to be renewed because it's a race car or because it's a show car. If you do a show car and you go over the mileage the insurance will be pissed at you and the EPA can just say we won't give you the show car exemption again. It says to keep the letter of acceptance in your glove box in place of the usually emissions testing paper just incase you get asked to show it but I've never known someone to get asked to see the emissions stuff?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info