Home Theater systems questions

SKYLINE

Regular
Apr 21, 2013
I just got a new TV, and I love watching movies and TV shows!

I never had a home theater,

Is it easy to install?
Do you need any special tools?
Any tips?

Witch one should I buy?

I'm not looking for something expensive or fancy, just something simple!

I was looking at these two, they look simple, what do you guys think?

They come with a dvd player, but I already have a Sony blu ray.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388775966654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388775966654.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388775985564.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388775985564.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 93

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm happy with my Onkyo (3400) home theater in a box. Took some tuning and fussing around with speaker sizes and levels to get it where I'm happy but for a little over $200 on sale with receiver, speakers and sub it's a great deal. Only wish there were more HDMI ports.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
If you're just doing a basic HTIB (home theater in box) where everything is provided for you I'd highly consider looking at Onkyo.

Edit: Everyone beat me to it while I was typing lol

To expand, I also wouldn't spend 67 dollars on that crap you posted either. It's a home theater that you're going to set up and not want to rip out 6 months later when you realize it blows. Just do it partially right the first time with a decent set up. Here's something that's on the cheaper side and fine for what it looks like you're going for:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077V88V8/?tag=tcg21-20

You can get better than that though. Also 7.1 is overkill, for your first home theater 5.1 is more than enough. A lot of movies still aren't decoded correctly in 7.1 anyway.

Set up isn't rocket science, it's harder just trying to hide cords and make it look less like a clusterfuck. Make sure you space out your right and left channels so they aren't sitting so close to the center channel that you can't tell the separation, put the sub in a corner of the room for the best effect especially if it's a smaller sub. These are the basics but should help.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
The one I have is 7.2 which is completely awesome. I don't regret the choice and has served me well for the past few years. This will hold me over until I start piecing the go together. If your room is big enough then a 7.1 channel would be great however 5.1 gets the job done.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I personally don’t like HTIB’s. What’s your budget first?

I’d recommend getting last year’s Denon 5.1 models (1513, 1713, 1913, etc) and build your own setup. You can get the AVR-1513 for $200 shipped. It will sound much better than HTIB models. You can usually find decent deals on NewEgg.com for subs and surround sound speakers.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I thought I read the receiver isn't going to have as much of an impact on sound quality as speakers. Especially when comparing budget equipment. HTIB is such an easy solution for a non-sound enthusiast.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The reciever makes a huge difference. My brother had an old Pioneer 5.1 reciever and switched to an Denon E400 and it made a huge difference in sound quality. My Denon 1913 has Audyssey which makes setting up for the room simple as the microphone and processor does all of the work.

Upgrading from cheap speakers to good speakers will make a difference too.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I cant see either of those being any good for under $100. I have never bought a HTIB before though, I have a Denon rec with older Klipsch towers and surrounds, but thats going to be more than you want to spend.

This.

Cheap HTIB are historically crap, A serious name brand HTIB, or piecing your own setup together is typically best.

I have a high end Pioneer reciever with top end 'book shelf' speakers, top end center channel, and then a medium end Subwoofer (All Polk Audio, didn't want a crazy sub since I live in an apartment).

The sound from the system is amazing, I've yet to see a HTIB compare to it.

Granted, as already mentioned, costs way more than a HTIB, but I've pieced mine together over the past 3 years when stuff has gone on sale (Cyber Mondays, etc, good audio equipment always has HUGE markup).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info