Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I know the feelings of some people on this site about extinction and our effects on animals, but this is pretty sad regardless of who you are. Extinct not b/c of natural selection, but b/c humans can be real pieces of shit.

Western black rhino declared extinct | News.com.au

Edit: Wild black rhinos, there are still captive ones.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature said the western black rhino, native to West Africa, no longer exists and claimed that a quarter of all other mammal species are at risk of extinction.
Its updated "red list" of threatened species, the gold standard for animal and plant conservation, classified the Central African white rhino as "possibly extinct in the wild," and the Javan rhino is also making a last stand after Vietnamese poachers killed the last of its subspecies last year.

005710-rhino.jpg

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I think we need to add an asterisk though, extinct not due to the white devil's insatiable appetite for material things, but more about the third worlds dumb fucking theories on ivory, shark fins, whale meat etc.

ChiLAX

TCG Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Chicago
God damnit, could they have picked a sadder picture to go along with this? You hate to see something like this happen, especially because you know the people that hunt and kill these rhinos, as well as the people that buy the product, are worthless pieces of shit.

Don't even get me started on the Asian vs. everydamnthingintheocean debate. Fuck.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
The earth is not affected by CO2 emmissions and that certainly did not cause global warming. The removal of trees to build homes is the biggest problem IMHO. Trees make oxygen, and keep everything in check.
Fun fact: The natural wildfires on earth every year pump out more toxic emissions than all vehicles on earth COMBINED.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
The quicker way would be to go human poaching in Africa.

Maybe do some human "whaling" in Asia/west pacific as well.

At least for the problems of animal extinction.

It is funny that you mention poaching the poachers. For those that may not know, South Africa is the main hub of the entire world's white and black rhino population. I have ties there, go there yearly, and see what poachers are doing to the rhino there. It is horrific. For almost a year, I have been talking to someone about setting up a small anti-poaching task force to cover one of the large nature preserves (not Kruger) over there. The basic gist is that you can cover one hell of a lot of ground with a .338 Lapua from a high position, so staffing costs would not be that terribly high. Initial weaponry outfitting would be expensive, but that's essentially a one time investment. We might be pitching the idea to a certain fella with higher level ties to the preserve by mid December. I wouldn't mind moving over there and hunting those assholes.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
It is funny that you mention poaching the poachers. For those that may not know, South Africa is the main hub of the entire world's white and black rhino population. I have ties there, go there yearly, and see what poachers are doing to the rhino there. It is horrific. For almost a year, I have been talking to someone about setting up a small anti-poaching task force to cover one of the large nature preserves (not Kruger) over there. The basic gist is that you can cover one hell of a lot of ground with a .338 Lapua from a high position, so staffing costs would not be that terribly high. Initial weaponry outfitting would be expensive, but that's essentially a one time investment. We might be pitching the idea to a certain fella with higher level ties to the preserve by mid December. I wouldn't mind moving over there and hunting those assholes.

In.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've switched programs in south africa and will be working at a cheetah rehabilitation center instead of a lion camp now. i just was reading a minute ago how some people estimate cheetahs may go extinct in 20 years because their genetic pool is so shallow and they have a lot of interbreeding/health problems as a result.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

I guess with some crazy ass breeding plan combined with gene therapy to remove the bad genes that cause cancers and other health risks, aswell as an ideal ratio of male/female we could use cloning and others to repopulate.

As long as the parings didn't reinforce negative gene traits in the offspring you could try and save the population. And maybe with cloning and gene therapy it would help.

But hey, rather than save them with experimental techniques, we'll follow the laws against that kind of research and let the white rhino die.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I guess with some crazy ass breeding plan combined with gene therapy to remove the bad genes that cause cancers and other health risks, aswell as an ideal ratio of male/female we could use cloning and others to repopulate.

As long as the parings didn't reinforce negative gene traits in the offspring you could try and save the population. And maybe with cloning and gene therapy it would help.

But hey, rather than save them with experimental techniques, we'll follow the laws against that kind of research and let the white rhino die.

seems quite a challenge at 5!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info