looking for fish tank help

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
i've got a 120 gallon fresh water with like 15 Cichlid in it. the water is always greening like pond water. I garbage picked this tank and dont have much experience. currently i have two fluval c4 and one fluval c3 equivalent(its older, and i dont remember what it is)

whats a good canister filter? or chemicals or what to use? and should i order online or go to petsmart or something.

thanks

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Sorry, just seeing this now..... Unfortunately I never got into freshwater or brackish tanks and went straight for saltwater....

Anything made by Eheim is like top notch equipment, fluval makes some nice stuff as well. What kind of lighting are you running, and does the tank get any natural sunlight during the day? I can try to help some but I have much more knowledge in saltwater.... Everything is cheaper online so most of my orders are from....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Are you growing plants in there or artificial plants?

Usually I hear of people using a large canister filter for their biological filtration and then HOB for mechanical and that seems to work well. The coloring of the water might be algae spores which you could try to filter out with a small enough micron filter, or possibly an inline UV setup, or even a canister filter with a built in UV...

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I know some people also run nu-clear canister filters as well, if you want to look them up they're supposed to be really nice. The only catch with them is you need a pressure rated pump to run them......

If you wanted to go that route let me know and I can do some digging around, I might have a pump in the spare pars pile that would work that you could have.....

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I'm not much help. My 1st tank. GL

y6azyqa5.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Shit we need a fish tank thread. I was gonna start one soon since the woman and I have a pretty successful brackish tank going, and I'm currently buying equipment for my first marine tank.

Anyways, to the OP..... What are your water parameters? Algae needs light and food, so if you are turning the lights off at night that shouldn't be a problem, but high nitrates could be getting the best of your tank. 10% water changes every week should help until the algae is gone. Don't use chemicals for anything but a last resort.

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
I bought a syphane(spelling) and will do 2 home depot buckets every couple of days. i have no live plants anymore.. i have the light on a timer from like 5pm until 12am. and i have one big ole bottom feeder.

i've heard of the uv light. but havnt gone further.

here are some shitty pics.. 2nd pic shows the glass kind of. i get a shitty algae build up on it from time to time.

camera sucks and pics are very fuzzy... it's not as bad as it seems.. but still bad

Attachments

• 1111111111111.jpg
    1111111111111.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2222222222222222.jpg
    2222222222222222.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 66

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I started a freshwater tank all because I found a baby painted turtle. Then I bought the stuff which I ended up spending quite a bit. It all adds up quick. I always tested the water parameters (using the chemical test rather than the strips) every day. Rule of thumb I've always went by and heard is to use filters that can filter double the capacity of your tank. If your tank is 30 gallons then filter with a capacity of 60. I used marineland canisters. You couldn't hear any sound with it.

Sometimes it can take a little bit of time to cycle your tank. But always remember to regularly do water changes. I usually did about 20-25% water changes at the end of the week or if I ran into any spikes with Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates. Make sure to do research. Certain fish need the water to be at a certain temperature range as well as the ph and other parameters.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If any of you saltwater guys need a killer light let me know..... I'm selling my old ATI PM 8x39 T5HO light because I'm going to a cube tank and it won't fit over it.....

Here it is over my old 90g rimless starfire tank.....
newtank1.jpg

Glad some of the FW guys made it over to help out some more..... Looks to me like you just need some beefier filters..... Some algae on the glass is not a huge deal just get it with an algae magnet....

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
Those are some nice lights, I'm moving so unfortunately I'm selling all my stuff till I get settled. If anyone needs anything for salt water chances are I am selling it. Or if you want to get started and need a complete setup, I have that too lol.

My old 75 before I took it down
eba6e7yn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

G_T_O

TCG Elite Member
May 10, 2009
Those are some nice lights, I'm moving so unfortunately I'm selling all my stuff till I get settled. If anyone needs anything for salt water chances are I am selling it. Or if you want to get started and need a complete setup, I have that too lol.

My old 75 before I took it down
eba6e7yn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You selling just the 75 gallon tank? I want to get some more chiclids and my 55 is getting a little small.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info