Going Truck shopping cheap help

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
So tomorrow going out with $500 down no trade in. Trying to get something like a Colorado or a Ranger. Used of course but in reliable shape.

Anyone know some dealers that'll help get me moving? I'm sure I'm interest will suck but i need to be around $200 a month topps maybe $250ish. I'm sure I'll time to time make double payments once in a while.

I really like the Ranger sxt with fog lights on front.

I'm a first time buyer. I have a co-signer but they might work might not.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Look into getting a loan through a credit union. They usually have better rates on used cars than dealers. If you've never had a loan, do you even know what a typical interest rate is? I've talked to people with shit credit and shit brains and have heard of people paying as high as 16%-24% for 3 and 4 years respectively. A "good" rate on a used car with good credit is like 4%-5% for a short term loan, and like 7%-8% on a 5 or 6 year loan.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I've pm'd Aircal but i also applied today for an 02 Ranger edge white 90k miles they are asking $8900.

I told them $500 and i want $250 month. Have to wait for the news tomorrow banks were closed. I have zero credit. I'm eating lucky charms hoping this works out I'm in long over due a break in life. Worst case I'll have to wait a week till i have $1k for dp and payments will be low 300's month. Or I'll end up in a s10.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I've been thinking get another cheap beater but i really really need something that is good and i can trust to get me where I'm going without breaking down. Last car i had broke down on me like 4 times on the way to work and left me stranded almost cost me my job. I'll take that crappy interest. 42 month loan i hope. But i know I'll have it paid off way before then.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Take the $1000 you could have and shop for a deal on cl. I could do alot for $1k. Thats like 3 Lumina's :rofl:

X13452345

My first ranger (98 stepside, standard cab) I got for $800, needed nothing but a new rear trans seal

My second ranger (00 Stepside, Ext cab, 4X4) I got for $950 with a bad wheel bearing and a broken rear window (Window was $150, bearing was $50)

My Explorer Sport (97, 2wd, stickshift) I got for $650, needed some minor front end repair (Just cosmetic, nothing structural, turnsignal, headlight, grill surrond).

My 'parts truck' Explorer (96 AWD, V8) had hit on the driver side rear quarter and a moaning front end (Bearing/Bearings), paid $500 for it.

My 'Flip' Explorer (97 AWD, V8) was $950 (Had a ghetto painted door, and needed a tire/rim).
You can find REALLY good RBV's for cheap if you keep a sharp eye out.

Everything except the 00 ranger, and the 'flip' explorer I found on craigslist on days I was off of work.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Check this out. The dealership i was at went through citizen bank for the loan and they wanted a co-signer. My father offered with his bad credit and the bank tells him they want his Harley title for collateral, wtf is that about they already have the truck title for collateral. Looks like I'm still looking around.

Anyone know any buy here pay here places? And I'm still wanting small pick up. Might end up getting something else if i can't find the right place tho :(

nick122590

TCG Elite Member
Jul 10, 2011
IOWA
fuck all that. find a small town bank that doesn't check credit scores.

I first went to wells fargo (my credit score is like 550. cosigner was like 725.)

they wanted 1500 down and and not just the truck title but my car title and my cosigners title. all for a 6500 dollar one. and it would have been like 12& rates. and go up if im ever late

i went to the bank in my town. talked to my banker. now im paying like 209 a month

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I've pm'd Aircal but i also applied today for an 02 Ranger edge white 90k miles they are asking $8900.

I told them $500 and i want $250 month. Have to wait for the news tomorrow banks were closed. I have zero credit. I'm eating lucky charms hoping this works out I'm in long over due a break in life. Worst case I'll have to wait a week till i have $1k for dp and payments will be low 300's month. Or I'll end up in a s10.

I would think you can buy same truck for cheaper . 8900 for a 11 year old compact truck seems alot to me .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info