We are cutting the cable, canceling cable.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
And its feeling good. Today I called Crapcast and canceled our HD cable that consisted of 3 HD DRV boxes and all the channels. We also canceled our home phone because we both have iphones with unlimited plans.

But we kept the internet and upgraded it to the 105mbps plan. So heres the new plan. Hulu+, netflix and we have an xbox360 and PS3 for two of those three HD plasmas. The cost savings is easily $100+ per month. And there are also many places online where you can download or stream liveTV for free or pay. Eitherway, its going to save us hundreds of dollars per year. Basicly if you look at it, we are paying for all those channels on all the TVs and rarely use them during the day. And we almost NEVER watch TV shows and movies in real time. Its always a DVR recorded show that we watch when we can. So missing live TV is really no big deal. With all those cheap pay services, plus the Playstation store and xbox live store you can find just about any TV show or movie you want.

Anyone else cut the cable? I have a few friends that have done it, and never looked back.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Sooner or later I will do what you're doing. I'll add a good antenna to get broadcast TV. Rather than spend $100+ for the antenna, I'll make one. Did it in the past with coat hangers and radio shack parts and got excellent reception and 40+ channels in the Chicago area for $7. Best part about getting High Definition antenna channels is they are broadcast in 1080p.

Youtube has a ton of make it yourself antenna videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzWBgGuAzNI

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Cable free for over 2 years as well. Just antenna (Major channels in HD), netflix, and dvd's. If there a show or event I absolutely must see, I'll go to a sports bar or a friend/family's place to watch it with them.

You end up watching less tv and doing other things.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Also just picked up an apple tv unit from BB tonight. ITS AWESOME!!!! Aside from not being able to play DVD/blueray, it gets you the hulu/netflix and adds the itunes content that tromps them all. This is going to work out great. Also upgraded my router to the latest and greatest wireless N dual band and now Im getting 300mbps connectivity. So now I get 116mbps speeds over wifi all over the house. Its sick.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Also just picked up an apple tv unit from BB tonight. ITS AWESOME!!!! Aside from not being able to play DVD/blueray, it gets you the hulu/netflix and adds the itunes content that tromps them all. This is going to work out great. Also upgraded my router to the latest and greatest wireless N dual band and now Im getting 300mbps connectivity. So now I get 116mbps speeds over wifi all over the house. Its sick.

REALLLLLY would have gone with a different device honestly.

Roku box or Sony Steam are both MUCH better choices IMO. I personally have a sony stream, and it can even play MKV files off of a flash drive plugged into it, is wireless N, HD, USB Port, and was only $50 on sale. :dunno:

Thread Info