DUI question

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
OK, ***NOT*** me, but, have a question.

Person rear ends a car... Nobody is hurt... Person fails field sobriety test... Person refuses to take breathalyzer on the scene... Person booked for DUI... Person refuses to take breathalyzer at the police station... Person go to first court hearing and requests extension... Person goes back pays an additional $4k in fines and case dropped.

Now I know you can refuse a breathalyzer test on the scene wo/ the "automatic" suspension. However, I thought if you refused the one at the station it was an automatic 12m suspension of your license?

-or-

Is this just a case of knowing the right lawyer who knows the right DA etc. ?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Is this just a case of knowing the right lawyer who knows the right DA etc. ?

Yes. My buddies wife did this same thing, and got off with a few fines but NO DUI, refused everything. Good lawyer.

Have this person call around and ask several local lawyers to see if they know/worked with the DA and prosecutor at the court house where the case will be heard. If you find one, then pay him the money and enjoy the perks of "low friends in high places".

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
straight from 2 people I know who were assistant DA's Never blow..period. Even if you had one drink refuse it. A false negative can stick (breath spray or many other things) and your screwed.

For the record though I am totally against drinking and driving and NEVER do it. I was lucky enough to survive a crash 17 years ago when the driver was drunk. He and 2 others were not so lucky, and me being wasted didn't realize I got in a car with a drunk person driving. I thought I was being the responsible one by not driving out that night and thought to be getting a safe ride home. Long story short, I don't drink and drive and now make sure my driver isn't drinking either!

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
Yes. My buddies wife did this same thing, and got off with a few fines but NO DUI, refused everything. Good lawyer.

Have this person call around and ask several local lawyers to see if they know/worked with the DA and prosecutor at the court house where the case will be heard. If you find one, then pay him the money and enjoy the perks of "low friends in high places".

straight from 2 people I know who were assistant DA's Never blow..period. Even if you had one drink refuse it. A false negative can stick (breath spray or many other things) and your screwed.

The persons' lawyer was top grade and the case was dismissed. A hefty fine but no suspension or loss of license.

My question is why? The PBT (given road side let's say) is only to assist in proving probable cause. There is no penalty for refusing. There is a however a penalty for refusing the breathalyzer.

I am probably missing something and trying to understand.

just dont drink and drive!!! I have no symphathy for drunk drivers.

I couldn't agree more. With my post I am trying to understand the law.

ITL Cobra

Regular
Jan 31, 2007
I was told by numerous lawyers and a cook county prosecutor, NEVER BLOW. Under no circumstance take the test. If you were to be pulled over and you know you are over the limit, keep your hands in plain sight and refuse to take the test. Let them take you in, it is easier to beat the case without proof.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
just so you know:
the court does not suspend the driver's license, the Secretary of State does.
Regardless of the court action, a suspension may be in your friend's future,
especially if the SOS is notified of the refusal to blow.

And I think that occurs automatically at the time of the incident

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
just so you know:
the court does not suspend the driver's license, the Secretary of State does.
Regardless of the court action, a suspension may be in your friend's future,
especially if the SOS is notified of the refusal to blow.

And I think that occurs automatically at the time of the incident

straight from where it counts.

However, open your mouth to talk or blow.

First rule of fight club.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
I don;t drink and drive at all, even 1 drink... I don;t use breath spray (lack of friends should be plenty of proof of that :dunno:). so what else can trigger a false positive?

I have alway had no problem blowing in the tube to prove i wasnt drinking. So what can I (or anyone else for that matter) do to not fall into the false positive trap besides refusal to blow??? I don;t want to be "hauled in" or have my car unjustly towed (incuring tow and impound fees) when I wasn;t drinking.

imbuggin

Addict
Mar 15, 2007
Can't you refuse to blow and instead request to have your blood sampled without penalty? I have heard from a number of people this is a good option to prevent blow errors and give your body some time to process the alcohol.

if you are at one of those mass DUI check point stops and refuse to blow, they can order you to the hospital to have your blood taken against your will. This was a hot topic last summer/fall.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I rolled the dice and blew in buffalo grove.... It was a .07 and he sent me on my way, but never again will I get in the car after more than 2 or three drinks... just not worth it.

You're lucky.
I've won cases (gotten convictions)on lower numbers than that.

You don't have to blow .08 or over to be convicted of DUI.

You just aren't convicted of blowing .08 or more.

There are two seperate, but related, tickets issued.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Yep we had one of those here, i think it was called a MANDATORY DUI stop, with no refusal. they had a medical motor coach on the scene with people ready to draw blood.

Excuse me, but F*CK that!! I'm not letting some state lacky stick needles in me and take my tissues. WTF?

That has to violate all kinds of personal privacy / constitutional laws. That's a strict violation of your person.

Also, I don't see how they can "force" you to do it. What the hell is this? Orwell's 1984? Nazi Germany?

I found this interesting:
Motorists Forced To Let Officers Draw Blood Samples At DUI Stops

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info