health insurance

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
ok well my job doesnt allow me to sign up for health insurance til next year because i was hired to late and they are wierd and have a annual sign up period each year. so i keep getting tonsillitis and these doctor trips are raping my wallet and if i need to have surgery to remove my tonsils im gonna need health insurance asap.

anyone pay for health insurance outside of thier job? if so who do you have and what do you pay?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i work for my dad and technically the company doesnt offer health insurance but he finally got me some blue cross that he pays for as a business expense...its 170 every two months...dont ask me whats included cause i dont even know

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I was always told that insurance outside of a business is expensive as hell. However, I pay $110 every paycheck for my daughter and myself.

I cant complain though. They normally pay 95%-100% of every hospital bill. Its the doctor visits and prescriptions where they rape you.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I think speed shops lack HR departments. :hs:

However, he is right. Normally when you get hired it is a life changing event. I was able to add my daughter to my insurance the day she was born since thats how it works. Thank god. I couldnt afford the $55K medical bill.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Dude that's bullshit. Talk to hour. When u get hired its considering a life change and it is required by law for the company to offer u health insurance and be able to sign up the first month regardless of when u are hired or when their cutoff is. I would talk to hr

Wrong. Being hired is NOT a life changing event. A life changing event is something such as marriage, birth of a child, dependent loss of medical coverage and there are a bunch more. It is not required that a company offer you health insurance, that is why they call it a BENEFIT. A benefit is not something that is mandatory, but an incentive that can be chosen at one's option.

Most places give you a time frame of when you need to give your benefits' forms to HR for submission. For example, benefits for the production staff kick in at 60 days and we require the forms to be in by 30 days. If you do not enroll in your insurance at that time, you must wait until open enrollment or annual enrollment, which is generally a two week period once a year where anyone can do anything they want to their insurance. Otherwise, the only way to change your insurance during the year is through a life changing or qualifying event. FYI, I am a HR Manager and I deal with this almost daily.

To the OP, when I was between jobs some time ago I got health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield and paid about $50/month. It was a very high deductible plan, but I only needed it for about three months and I am one never to get sick.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
oh ure parttime? yea, pretty sure u cant get health unless ure doing 30 hours or something like that. its been awhile since i had a job that offered health :rofl:

Its up to the job... When I worked part time at Jewel I could have got health insurance. I was under my parents plan at the time though.

GenXisT

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Good ol' USA... fuck people into bankruptcy for getting sick or having an unfortunate accident.
Broke my arm in june... they recommended surgery. I told them to fuck off because I don't have $20K (which would've been the part I have to pay which my ins wouldn't cover) laying around.
So my arm isn't healed the way it would've otherwise.
I'll deal with it... but it's still a fucked up decision for people to have to make.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I was always told that insurance outside of a business is expensive as hell. However, I pay $110 every paycheck for my daughter and myself.

I cant complain though. They normally pay 95%-100% of every hospital bill. Its the doctor visits and prescriptions where they rape you.

All you gotta do is sign up with walgreens $35/year (for you and family) for generic prescription for just a couple bucks. (compares to walmart)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info