Blown C5 Z06 vs C7 Z06 Omega Motorsport NoFlyZone 1/2 Mile Event!!!

c5z06speedjon

Addict
Jan 21, 2008
Hey guys figured I'd share my results and feedback on the Omega Motorsport NoFlyZone 1/2 Mile Event this past weekend out in Rantoul, IL.

We arrived at the event at around 8:30am and we could tell it was going to be a good day for racing. It was 58 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. We went to tech in and then we had a safety meeting at around 9am and it was time for racing. One of the nice things from a drivers perspective is there were only 50 cars registered for the event so this made it nice as I've gone to the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile event in the past and there were so many cars you really didn't get to relax and hang out to enjoy your day. You had to wait a good 45 minutes in the staging lanes to get a pass in. With minimal amount of cars racing you could park your car let it cool down set up a race with someone start up your car and pretty much go. This was ideal for me considering I'm boosted. I thought the event was run very well by the guys at Omega. A few things I would have liked to see was larger MPH signage for spectators, someone announcing times/cars going. Other than that the event went smooth and was happy overall. Plenty of braking distance at this runway.

The fun stuff; I did my first run against James Anderson's (@Shockerracing) dads bone stock Automatic C7 Z06 and to my amazement hit a new personal best in the 1/2 mile 168.2 MPH! The C7 Z06 was running consistent 155 MPH passes. Here's the video of that run;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNtz9C9Ddo

My very next run I hit 170.8 mph after letting the car sit for 30 minutes! Was really happy hitting 170 mph!

80-image_66ef804e0ee4c9e6adde1f575c5ae1e5cc500bf1.jpeg

My previous best at the WannaGoFast Event with similar mods was 156 mph. Now on this day last year in Monee, IL it was low 90's and I was having issues of overheating. My coolant temps were surging in the 260 range so I knew there was something wrong. I ended up finding out coolant was leaking into the oil so at the beginning of the year I replaced the head gaskets and installed ARP head studs.

I ended up doing a few more runs including 167 165 163. As the day went on it was getting hotter. I did check and the weather and on Sunday we had a 5 mph tailwind. Overall I am ecstatic with how my car ran and how hard she was pulling!!!

Here are the specs on my car;
2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
A&A Supercharger Kit Vortech V3Si Trim Blacked Out
LPE Intank Fuel Pump Turbo Smart BOV Flowcharger BAP
LS2 TB FAST 92 Ported 243 LS6 Heads
Speed Inc SI5V2 Comp Cam 231/237 .617/.607 112 LSA
LG SuperPro 1 7/8" LT Headers w/Off-Road X-Pipe
Corsa Sport Exhaust
McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch McLeod LS Billet Steel Flywheel
Tick Performance Speed Bleeder Tick Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit
DTE Rear Brace HPE Torque Limiting Mount

80-image_fd11a65fd50973a8d903b03a81916636c8d5cd71.jpeg