3800 Symptoms of a bad ICM (Ignition Control Module)?

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks for the reply Justin,

My car is chugging/misfiring at idle (I can actually hear popping in the exhaust sometimes), and I can definitely rule out the plugs/wires, since I replaced those last week and everything was going well for about a week or so until this happened..

I'm hoping its just the coils, or the ICM...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by ThaLord@Jun 1 2005, 09:28 AM
I think 12secGTP had a problem with his cat.. I seem to recall being there.. while gutting it.. lol
[snapback]86256[/snapback]​
I know, but I think it was only part of the problem. After he gutted it he still had issues. I tried to do a search about it, but it came up empty. I think it goes back past when we had that one major server problem where we lost a bunch of posts.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Thanks guys,

I have a feeling it is the ICM also.

- I am throwing P1361 and P1362 codes, but after clearing them they don't come back. So not sure regarding this, but it does point to the ICM alittle...

- One second the car idles fine, the next second its hunting and misfiring/surging/bucking...

- Just by revving the motor at idle, I am getting misfires per the scantool. And its not dependant on any cylinder, as one minute it shows misfires on cylinder 3, then next it will show misfires on cylinders 1 and 5. Just to be safe I pulled a couple of plugs (To make sure I didn't chunk a piston), and they look fine...

I have some new coils, and a new ICM coming from the parts man himself Ed Morad this week, so if this doesnt fix it, I will start working my way towards the Cat (Thanks for the suggestion John). The only reason why I doubt the Cat right now, is because the downpipe is brand spanking new, but ya never know I guess!

Thanks,

Joel

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
hmm..

Well I believe I figured out my issue, and it wasn't the coils or the ICM ;)

After replacing the coils, and the ICM, it kept on hunting, misfiring, and I kept on throwing the P1361 and P1362 codes. I was about ready to give up, but I saw a green/yellow wire (covered with tape) that had must've melted itself on the header crossover, just hanging there...

So I spliced the melted part off, and then grounded it to one of the bolts that are on the boost bypass valve. I didn't have much wire to work with, and the only piece of metal I saw was connected to one of the boost bypass bolts...

Voila, car starts perfectly now and no more codes. I must've started the car like 10-15 times, and perfect each time...

Funny thing is, this wire had never given me a problem in the past (It's always been unhooked, or at least for what I can remember). I always thought this was a ground to the remote start I had, since it was hooked up to a piece of fabricated metal that was towards the back of the motor. I guess since it was touching the hot header it must've been wreaking havoc with the bundle of wires it was spliced into...

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Syp,

Not sure what you mean..

Do you mean how my car started up before it started to exhibit these problems?

If so, it started up perfectly normal..

I think the problems started to occur with that wire, because I had wrapped it around my EGR to move it out of the way of the headers. Then when I removed my EGR, the wire fell and must've been touching the headers and caused a short somewhere, hence the weird problems...

While I was having issues, the car would only buck, misfire, die, at low rpms (Under around 1500rpms) to idle. If I were to keep the rpms up, the car would drive perfectly fine...

Thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info