Genv install

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Who put it on? They most likely rtv'd it and that's what's holding it down now, there are no screws that hold it down after the blower is off, but depending the the quantity of rtv you will probably need to pry it off

Ron Vogel installed it back in 2010 for me. Are you sure because I can see deep holes and I gave it some force and this thing didn't move at all. If your saying that the ic is held to the lower intake I'll pry it off but I want to be sure I'm understanding you correctly.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
The deep holes are the ones the blower bolts should go through down into the lower intake, that or possibly the two halfs of the core use bolts to hold them together, I've never had to split one before, but yeah I'm betting he used a paper gasket and rtv to hold it down or just rtv, on my own stuff I rtv it and it's a bitch to take back off, you can text me some pics of the holes your talking about if you want but I'm 99.99% it's just rtv holding l it down and your going to have to pry it pretty hard if he used a lot of it, I've gouged the lower intake pretty good taking off intercooler cores that were rtv'd down if you get lucky he used a gasket and just rtv on both sides of it and it will rip the paper gasket apart making it easier to take off but a lot more clean up

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Let's be clear, I am not an installer. With that being said, holy cap I can't believe how many things I had to remove to get the ic and lower intake out. Antifreeze everywhere, 2 bent prybar but I was successful. Tomorrow I plan to try to put everything g back on with the genV. And I have to replace a few ic lines. I got frustrated! Can anyone show me where the aluminum elbows go??

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
daf7eff1910b32ac63cd422ff9b9c2f1.jpg

9c6bca70be51460334579d201b74b5d4.jpg

3e0028e8e6b46f3f3b83329ae3c3b5cb.jpg

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Well guys, Valiant effort but total fail. The car pisses antifreeze from the drivers side lower intake manifold. The baby will be here tuesday so the car will be down for a long time. I can't spend anymore time on this. Is there any 3800 installers around that could fix this for me?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'm not sure how/why it could be leaking if you used the right gaskets. Just take it apart and put it back together using new gaskets, it shouldn't take but 1-2hrs max. Also, did you clean that coolant out of the valley and pour some oil down there to flush it out? If not, change the oil a couple times to make sure you don't have coolant mixing in. A spun bearing would suck ass.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well you didn't tighten something, cause if you used the metal GM gaskets in manifold shouldn't be leaking. Just do like I said, take it apart and put it back together with new gaskets. Make sure you're putting in those "hidden" screws in the intake manifold, part of me wants to say you might have forgotten one. And when you get it off, get that coolant out of the valley so it doesn't get in the oil, and then run it (assuming you fixed the leaks) for 5-8min and change the oil again. Get some shit brand oil so you're not wasting expensive oil.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Pro tip: Use a shop vac and suck all the coolant out of the radiator and engine before taking anything apart on the engine. Put the vacuum hose right in the radiator neck or take the thermostat housing out and and suck all the coolant right out of the lower intake. Works great and it will keep spilled coolant to a min. Take the filter out of the shop vac before use or it will she soaked in coolant.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Pro tip: Use a shop vac and suck all the coolant out of the radiator and engine before taking anything apart on the engine. Put the vacuum hose right in the radiator neck or take the thermostat housing out and and suck all the coolant right out of the lower intake. Works great and it will keep spilled coolant to a min. Take the filter out of the shop vac before use or it will she soaked in coolant.

That's what I always did. Never had coolant in the valley. Did you follow the gospel of James and clean up all the mating surfaces with some fresh razor blades before putting new gaskets on?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info