Tune?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Anyone in this state even tune these pigs anymore?

I know the liability (due to being old or haphazardly kept) of it for most if not all definitely isn't there for people, but I was just curious besides going to ZZP does anyone even tune these anymore?

Turbo'd (& A/A intercooled) 04 GTP w/L26 bottom end:
-80lb injectors
-HV3
-Fuel pump rewire
-New fuel pump (320lph)
-New o2 sensor
-LT1 MAF
-1.9 modded rockers w/105lb springs (I believe)
-front lower log
-rear power log (still needs to go in..)
-electric cutout
-AL 103's

Just curious or if making a day at ZZP out of it was the better option?

Also what does everyone think of having two different tuned PCM's such as one for 93, and one for e85? Worth it or not? I have a manual boost controller so I am pretty leery of futzing with it.

Thanks

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You're biggest limitation is going to be that bottom end and those 105# valve springs. I would advise no more than 14-15lbs of boost to keep the TQ numbers low and the rods in the motor.

Having 2 different PCMs is perfectly fine, I did that for a couple people on here, but I would just play with the top end timing with the E85, you don't want to be trying to fine tune the boost every time you change an ECU.

Other than that, the only person I know that tunes these still is Tommygloves, but he's a busy man. If you ever decide pick up HPT and do it yourself I would be more than happy to look at your scans and help.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
You're biggest limitation is going to be that bottom end and those 105# valve springs. I would advise no more than 14-15lbs of boost to keep the TQ numbers low and the rods in the motor.

Having 2 different PCMs is perfectly fine, I did that for a couple people on here, but I would just play with the top end timing with the E85, you don't want to be trying to fine tune the boost every time you change an ECU.

Other than that, the only person I know that tunes these still is Tommygloves, but he's a busy man. If you ever decide pick up HPT and do it yourself I would be more than happy to look at your scans and help.

Thanks for the input! I wasn't planning to up the boost much (it's around 9/10 now) just maybe a couple more pounds, and leave it. Mainly just want to have it tuned for solid / safe / reliable power. Definitely not looking to go balls out, it's a fun daily driver.

I may go that route, it seems they pop up here and there for a good price, and I do have a Wideband already.. Just the learning curve is the issue for me.

They may have been the 90lb springs, I'm not sure, they were yellow. Don't know if that's better or worse..

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If that's all you want to do, that's easy stuff. I'm sure it's close right now if the car is running fine. I could probably get it within one or two scans and get you right around 14lbs of boost. That's just about the same setup as I had on my daily turbo GTP I had. The only thing I'd be worried about is where the maf table is, or how close it is to maxing out. Unless you have an AFC or something like that.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
If that's all you want to do, that's easy stuff. I'm sure it's close right now if the car is running fine. I could probably get it within one or two scans and get you right around 14lbs of boost. That's just about the same setup as I had on my daily turbo GTP I had. The only thing I'd be worried about is where the maf table is, or how close it is to maxing out. Unless you have an AFC or something like that.

Yeah basically it, it's running fine no real issues besides the fueling needing a little work but it's ok the rich side so..

I wouldn't mind running the corn but it's not a necessity, it was one of those everyone is doing it things lol, I probably wouldn't use it often tho.

Not sure at all, which reminds me, currently running a LT1 MAF sensor. No AFC or ICCU.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That maf might have the room for 12-14llbs, I'd have to see a scan. The best part about E85 is you can get mad top end with the timing and keep the boost low enough to keep the motor together. It's also incredibly easy to tune, there's never any knock even at 22-23° of timing.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
That maf might have the room for 12-14llbs, I'd have to see a scan. The best part about E85 is you can get mad top end with the timing and keep the boost low enough to keep the motor together. It's also incredibly easy to tune, there's never any knock even at 22-23° of timing.

Good to know, I'm a newb at anything e85, or well
anything tune / tuning related.

Definitely tune it yourself with HP Tuners. It is easy and offers you so much more flexibility not being at the mercy of your tuner. Intercooler on E85 you're going to have a pretty huge safety margin anyway, but that L26 bottom end is definitely a limitation, but I was running at least mid 20s paid of boost when mine went so you'll probably be ok if you aren't going crazy with it. I was also on 105 springs with no issues but I don't rev as high as most. Like 5200rpm shift.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info