E85 GTP

Chris01gtp

Regular
Mar 6, 2015
Posted this in my welcome thread but thought I should throw it in here too.

Alright so my plan really is to get a little more hp out of the car but nothing crazy. I will be using it for an internship out here in iowa and here its very difficult to find 93 if there even is any. E85 is everywhere. I am seeing about 1-2* of kr at wot pulls on a 3.5. Sometimes nothing but thats around the average. The trans was rebuilt by a good local shop by my house about a year ago. From some math i've done, I would be saving a little money switching to e85 for out here. Its about $1.20 cheaper a gallon. I would do all highway driving and i've seen many people saying they get around 20 on the highway on e85 if they keep their foot out of it and drive economical. As I see it I have 3 options, these are.

1) Drop in the injectors and fill up with e85 and run it that way with the intense pcm and keep my stock injectors in case i get in a pinch and have to run 91 out here. I've always ran 93 at home (Itasca) and the 91 kind of worries me.(one of the reasons I want to switch).

2) A member off of Grand prix forums pm'd me telling me I can use his HpTuners to tune my car for e85. He wants to make the switch too and doesn't have any knowledge of tuning like I do. It would be a learning experience for both of us. I would use it and Tune a separate E85 pcm just in case I have to switch. This is probably my "favorite" option because I've been wanting to learn how to tune.

3) Find someone to Tune a separate pcm for me.

All in all, I would love to be able to take advantage of the e85 and be able to get some more power. But, I don't want to completely risk the reliability of my car since I depend on it.

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO
XP cam, pacesetters, S2IC, 2.8", triple edge trans

I have really only tuned my own car so far. I am not an expert by any means, but I have been able make adjustments to get my car in the ballpark of where it needs to be. My car feels a lot stronger through the entire powerband after having it on the dyno at ZZP. It may be easiest for you to by a canned tune for the mods that you have.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The car MIGHT start and run with E85 on a 93 tune but the drivability will be absolutely horrible and any benefits you are expecting from it will not be existent.

After you scale the injectors tuning E85 isn't much different from 93 except that you should run it a tad rich for best power.

I wouldn't even consider running E85 unless I have a local guy or could tune the car myself. A lot of variations between ethanol content at different gas stations and times of the year. Depending on how "safe" you tune is this could get you in trouble. This is the main reason most shops will not tune E85.

If anyone tells you otherwise feel free to point them to this thread and I will prove them wrong.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I swapped injectors and it ran well enough for me to put a couple tanks through it to clean out the system I would not beat on it at all like that though, and at a minimum I would get a Wideband so you can tell how the car is running, e85 varies from 70% to 90+% ethanol that's enought to make it run real rich or real lean depending on what it's tuned for

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info