My Turbo LS1 Trans-Am build

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Hi all, I'm new here, but wanted to post up my turbo build I'm currently doing for this winter. I’ve had my T/A for about a year and a half now. It’s an 01 WS6 Trans Am LS1 with a 4 speed automatic (yeah I know). She has about 62K miles on her as she sits now. I’ve always wanted to go FI with her, but thought I’d be limited to a procharger as I didn’t want a shop to do all of the work. Where is the fun in that? Well I found a company called Kentucky Turbo Performance that is one of the only current vendors to sell a turbo kit that doesn’t require too much fabrication. The kits the guy puts out are really good from what I’ve read at ls1tech. I'm planning on going with low boost and then pump it up next year when i rebuild the engine or go with a forged short block

Here is a video of what has been done so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahvePLQgvpY

The kit includes the following. Talked to Josh@KYTP today, it should ship in anther two weeks.
Turbonetics TC78 Turbo
JGS wastegate
Tial BOV
FMIC
Hot and cold parts
Clamps, couplers, oil lines, etc

Well the true cost of a turbo build is in all the other crap to support it. Here is a list of the other stuff that is going in.

Finish Line Trans Level 6 transmission (installed)
Chrome Alloy Driveshaft (installed)
Comp Cam turbo grind camshaft, pushrods and springs (delivered)
Dual chain and gear (delivered)
SLP Oil pump (delivered)
Strange Dana s60 complete rear end with 3.73 gear (installed)
DMH electric cutout (delivered)
Lonnies Dual Walbro in tank fuel pumps (delivered)
60lb injectors (delivered)
160 degree thermostat (delivered)
Cobalt gauges(fuel pressure, boost/vac, trans temp) in 3 pod a piller (delivered)
AEM wideband (delivered)
Griffen Radiator (delivered)
Cone Air filter (delivered)
Misc fittings and gaskets
ARP Pro Head Studs
2bar map sensor
Blox Vacuum Manifold
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Assembly Lube
SLP underdrive pulley
UD Pulley Belts
317 heads
6.0 GM MLS gaskets
Boost Logic T4 Turbo Blanket
Comp Trunion rocker upgrade kit

e42fc28e.jpg

862572da.jpg

070357c1.jpg

b5a5ac5c.jpg

f5bc4c7b.jpg

ecbb3143.jpg

6fb74cf3.jpg

I still need to get some things.
-Underdrive pulley
-ceramic coating
-turbo blanket

Here is the stuff I did a couple weekends ago.

Rear end is in and settled perfectly. Got the built trans bolted on and have the driveshaft in. Had to modify the torque arm to fit flush with the housing on the rear end. Took the car out and she felt good. Couldn't get a good gauge as to how she drove as I left the catback off. Figure I'm taking it back off in a month anyway and I'm not going to drive it

842fec92.jpg

19910869.jpg

77c15148.jpg

8e13c81e.jpg

Anyway, if you have questions, insight or want to critique my build by all means chime in. I will update the thread with how things are going. This is my first turbo build and I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know FI as well as a lot of people.

Last edited:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Looks like a nice plan. That compressor side should be good for 1000hp. And the trans built right should last a while. I run the "weak" Ford AOD in my 3700#+ street car. It has held up to low 9's @ 147 with out much issue. Use the right parts the first time and save yourself money and headaches in the long run.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Looks like a nice plan. That compressor side should be good for 1000hp. And the trans built right should last a while. I run the "weak" Ford AOD in my 3700#+ street car. It has held up to low 9's @ 147 with out much issue. Use the right parts the first time and save yourself money and headaches in the long run.

OH! Lookie who we have here! :D

Thread Info