300zx buildup

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Some of this will be familiar from my introduction post. Hoping to add to it next week when my car finally gets out of storage for some new fun stuff.

Shipped in from Virginia. My first time seeing her
IMG_1947.jpg

Stock wheels, JDM 99 front bumper, JDM taillights
IMG_1994.jpg

vicotry.jpg

Mostly stock motor with upgraded ECU and boost at 15psi.
IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_20231.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

I became very good at doing this
IMG_2039.jpg

First motor I have ever pulled.
IMG_2039.jpg

Everyone needs this shot at some point.
IMG_2047.jpg

Finally have that engine out.
IMG_2044.jpg

Not a lot of room to work with once half of the cars parts are outside of the car.
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Wiring mess with the wideband, boost controller, PTU and other misc things.
IMG_2072.jpg

Rerouted the PTU into the Cabin. 240sx guys might recognize this
IMG_2121.jpg

Brand new EFI harness and cleaned up engine bay.
IMG_2069.jpg

Heat wrapped the harness to hopefully prevent the brittleness of the old one.
IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

300degree fuel rails with nismo 740cc injectors
IMG_2068.jpg

SPL coilovers arrived. All shiny and new.
IMG_2120.jpg

Full stainless fuel system as the stock one was prone to leaks.
IMG_2119.jpg

Never ever cleaning up a manifold again. Just going to pay somebody else to do it.
IMG_2115.jpg

Ready to go back in
IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Engine in with powdercoated stuff, front covers were repainted by Autowerks later in this series who did an amazing job.
IMG_2129.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
This is where the sad part of my build goes, was sold a Nistune ECU with a bad rom on it. Ended up hydrolocking my engine on fuel and blew the drivers side head gasket.

IMG_2185.jpg

Got my RPS flywheel and clutch for like 200 bucks. Grabs like hell but a pain to drive on.
IMG_2184.jpg

New piston time CP pistons at 87.5mm
IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

I am not the most organized person and I was really rushing this as I wanted to drive my car. So I can't seem to find many pictures from this era.
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

Freshly bored/honed block from Opel. Brand new freeze plugs also.
IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

time lapse of me putting the heads on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzMWZMwnLfg

time lapse of me putting the motor in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADs59RvKExc

IMG_2141.jpg

300zxengineintel.jpg

Thanks to Autowerks for getting these painted for me in a really quick and cost effective manner. Came out way better than my abilities with a spray can.
IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

At this point my car was pretty much set for the summer of 2010. I drove it all summer and a couple of issues arose. Temperature sensor failed, idle air controller is tempermental, and the turbos were on their way out at 136k miles. It was time for a refresh in the spring of 2011 for a little more horsepower. Pictures soon of all of the goodies, and me pulling the motor again to put on some fun new turbos, manifolds, etc.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Wheels all refinished and looking nice

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Just hoping my 295's will fit with how I have it lowered.

Trophy for winning third place at Zcon showed up finally
IMG_2600.jpg

3 inch test pipes, MSP manifolds, a second MAF and filter for my dual maf setup.
IMG_2528.jpg

3 inch bell mouth Downpipes for a steal of a price. (new divorced ones are like 600 bucks)
IMG_2538.jpg

Slightly bigger turbos and larger throttle bodies
IMG_2618.jpg

Still need to buy 2.5 inch intercooler piping, selin dual intake, ash massive intercoolers, and the 2.5 inch intake kit. Hoping for 420-430hp on pump gas and 500 on the fun stuff.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Well progress has finally moved forward on this car.

For this summer I had to pull back a little on my plans due to finances but still managed to get enough parts to justify a motor pull.

Installed
MSP Manifolds
Sport 500 turbos
Ashspec Inlet pipes 2.5 inches
New rear main seal
Redid the wiring harness again to try and go for more of a tucked look.

Finally got the motor back in last night after fighting a broken exhaust stud which I then stupidly tried an ezout on which promptly snapped. A dremel and a carbide bit and an air hammer was all it took to chip apart that stupid ezout.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

Got the motor in at about 4am this morning. Hoping to get everything else hooked back up on Sunday before it gets really hot. Having my pipes modified a bit at Touge Factory for recirculation ports and then I should be good to go.

All that is left is install the rest of the intake, dual MAF setup, and hope my soldering skills are still up to snuff.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Well finally finished some big projects for work and for coaching. Now I have time for the car. Lots of fun parts have accumulated all winter so time to put them on while the weather is nice.

3 inch downpipes
3 inch test pipes
2.5 inch intercooler piping
Ash Massive Intercoolers.

CC7C2915-orig.jpg

60A772DF-orig.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Tight is an understatement. Pulling the transmission for the downpipes and the front bumper/radiator for the intercooler piping. Can't wait to see how much faster these stockish turbos spool. Aiming for 400-450 out of them once I can get it tuned. Will try and get a comparison photo between these intercoolers and the stockers. They are nuts.

Hoping to make it out to a lot more meets this year as my schedule is a lot more open. Going to have that Supra out and about this year? I might give you a run for your money until your turbo spools :bigthumb:

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Apr 29, 2008
Denver, CO
Tight is an understatement. Pulling the transmission for the downpipes and the front bumper/radiator for the intercooler piping. Can't wait to see how much faster these stockish turbos spool. Aiming for 400-450 out of them once I can get it tuned. Will try and get a comparison photo between these intercoolers and the stockers. They are nuts.

Hoping to make it out to a lot more meets this year as my schedule is a lot more open. Going to have that Supra out and about this year? I might give you a run for your money until your turbo spools :bigthumb:

Ya, my friend has one and he says it's a nightmare to get through. The Supra should be out this summer! I lot has been going on with it and it will have a new engine and drivetrain. Haha, I'll look forward to a run with ya.

Thread Info