2006 GTO: Wrecked to Rebuilt thread

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
The problem all began on Friday, March 11th 2016. I left work early so I could head over to Chipotle' before bowling. My daily driver is a 2006 Brazen Orange Metallic GTO, M6 with 152K on the clock. Though the car is kind of rare, it had a crapload of miles. It's not perfect, has some minor dings and dents...the usual for a daily I think.

Anyway, while en route, within seconds my car went from this:

To this:

I managed to hit some woman who decided to drive her rusted out minivan without brake lights. She went to stop, I didn't see it in time because...NO BRAKE LIGHTS...

She was in the process of stopping when I struck her. Her rear bumper went way up and my front bumper dipped a little. As a result, her hitch went through my drivers side headlight and crushed my hood. (CUE ENSUING HEADACHES!)

The insurance wanted to take my car and scrap it, but the car is totally fixable. Sure the frame rails are kinked, but throw enough $$$ at something and suddenly, a fix comes along. Besides, it was close to $7,500 for just the hood, fenders (why they quoted 2, I don't know. The pass side fender was fine), front bumper, supports, brackets, etc. I figured, I could buy an entire salvaged vehicle for that and wind up parting out the engine and trans to recoop some of the $$$...which is what I did.

Here is how the car sits right now after the initial phase of deconstruction:
(note, I did have to pull back the header to get the radiator out easier)

Originally, the frame guy was going to try to straighten out the frame, but once he learned I had a donor vehicle coming, he said we could drill out and re-weld in the new frame rails. The time needed went from a bout a week to a matter of days. All he would need are the donor car's parts to make sure everything is aligned properly.

I managed to find a car from Sacremento CA. which was salvaged. Though getting the car was a total FRIGGIN' Headache (the guy who said he was going to deliver it, turned out to be such a schmuck...but that's a whole other story. Who ever owned this car REALLY pissed someone off. Every window was busted out, the interior looked like Swiss Cheese-with all the holes stabbed into the seats, key marks all around and some dings here and there. The car was completely and utterly TRASHED.

...so I bought it...

In the process of looking for parts, I managed to get a good deal on a SAP (Special Appearance Package) Spoiler, bought a Hinson Short Throw, a set of 3 polished 18" stock rims...and to keep with the "bling" I got a full set of CTOG8TA Chrome Badges with chrome vinyl rear insert inlay.

Getting back to the good part (pun intended), while loading up the car we noticed something about this new (donor) car. There was a brand new custom Stainless exhaust (w/ Kooks tips and Magnaflow mufflers), however, there weren't any cats. Also, all the tires were all brand new (still had nubs), there are Strange Coilover's on the rear, brand new drilled and slotted front rotors (coating is still on the face of the rotor), --> the engine block, heads and gaskets are all painted gray. <-- The air box and MAF, as well as drive shaft are missing...but it has a B&M short throw shifter.

A few friends and I managed to get the car started on Sunday afternoon. One of them thought the engine was cammed. I'm not sure how you would know for certain-but I thought the idle was kind of rough.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
The car is going into the frame shop on Monday to get straightened out. I'll be trying to get some of the extra body components sanded down and ready for paint. The rear bumper has 2 scuffs in it, the SAP Spoiler is silver and has 3 struts. I want it get the newer deck prepped and drill another hole for the extra screw. I'll wind up with 2 trunk lids for the car. One will have the SAP spoiler, the other will have holes for a stock spoiler.

Then, I'm going to modify the 'new' spoiler, keeping the stock screw hole placement. I want to give it some sort of a backwards lean to it and change the side profile a little.

I will be heading out of town on the 29th, so I'm going to be busting my ass once I get back to get dings out of the body panels and ready for paint. Eventually, the car will go to a friend of mine to get cutouts installed. That will be before the end of May. I have some extra console buttons, so fabbing them into the console to keep a stock look will be easy. I'm also going to give it a 125 shot of NOS, I'd like to mini tub it and section 2 of the extra stock 18" rims so I can sneak a larger tire in the back. Right now I'm running a 255. It has a bit of a bulge, but if I can get a 305 back there (and have it look stock and not bulge), I'd be happy.

looking forward to hearing more about this. not too many people bother with fixing stuff these days. It's cool to see the car come back to life

There were only 1,175 Brazen Orange GTO's imported to the U.S. The only options were 17" or 18" rims and manual / automatic. There were only 484 GTO's made with this combination. I feel like I'm obligated to bring it back.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Nice to see you're not letting it go to the scrap yard. Looks like you lucked out with the donor too.

Can't agree more. You'll be able to rebuild the car to new+ specs with all those goodies. Leave no stone unturned in my advice, you may find a few more good surprises if you do.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Fix both cars. Put all the goodies on the BOM and all stock stuff on old blue, then dd old blue.

It's possible, but not really feasable. I'd have to buy another car. I was thinking I might not part the blue car out when I'm done. I might just find another that was a rear-ender and save that.

I have always liked those color GTO's.

My dad owns a body shop and had the option to buy a wrecked new GTO a few times. He bailed once he found out how much parts were and how hard they are to find. Props to rebuilding this.

That's why I bought this car, I fell in love with the color! The mileage was so high, it was never going to be a high dollar car.

From G.M., the hood lists new for $2,500. The scoops are extra as are the clips. The drivers side fender is $850, while the pass is $950. There is a bracket that holds the bottom of the fender to the body. If you need that, those are extra. Headlights are $300 a side, the bumper is $800 and the foam support is $300. Then you have to buy all of the little clips to hold everything on. It's really stupid what the parts cost for these things. In total, new parts were almost double what I paid for the blue car.

Bottom line, I have to find out what was done to the motor in the blue car, to see if it was cammed or built in any way. I have a few posts on various forums and am trying to track down the previous owner.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
The puritans might give you some flack, but I don't mind the PFYC banshee hood on GTOs. Can get it in carbon fiber for a lot less than an OEM hood. Just an idea.

gt1234_6.jpg

had to look it up, not bad.

TurboZ

Aug 31, 2015
Really cool that you're putting it back together like that, hope everything goes well with the frame work. I've always loved that color.

Post some sound clips of it idling; might be able to tell if it's cammed from that. I agree that you should definitely look over that thing real well; looks like it may have another pleasant surprise or two left.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry

...That was last week...

I then picked up the car on Sunday at 7 p.m., after it was buffed out. I managed to get it home and was about to start putting in:

1). The Radiator & A/C condenser
2). The Power Steering Pump
3). Plastic Fender Liners
4). MAF and Air Cleaner
5). Hood Latch Anti-Theft
6). Hood Scoops (the ones I had kept breaking, so I bought other ones)
--- These were received after the car came out of paint, so I rattle canned them.
7). re-install side skirts
etc.....etc...

Here's the part that pisses me off...well one of them. The frame guy's didn't do such a hot job and only did a butt weld to the lower frame. The guy at the body shop noticed this and made the car safer by doing the proper lap welded. Unfortunately, to save time and $$$, the body shop didn't cut open the frame to do it correctly (see below):

Thread Info