My 2002 Camaro SS Update

Camarokid327

Fear of speed bumps but slowly getting over them.
Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Well, I still have yet to formally meet any of you guys but I've been an avid reader (or lurker haha) on TCG since I joined a couple years back. I definitely need to make it out one of these night and put some faces to these badass cars!

Anyways, I figured I would share some pictures of the new setup as it has drastically changed since my "newbie" introduction thread a couple years back. Here is a rundown of what she looks like now :hsughlol:

Engine: (458whp/414wtq)
- 228R .588/.588 112
- PAC 1218 valve springs
- 243 Heads (5 angle VJ, bowl work, smoothed intake runners, milled)
- FAST 102mm Intake
- Nick Williams 92mm TB
- Holley EFI Hi-Flow fuel rails
- Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley
- 42lb Injectors

Transmission:
- Level 4 FLT 4L60E
- Yank SS3600 converter
- Big Ass Hayden cooler

Suspension:
- Bilstein struts/shocks
- BMR lowering springs (front)
- Strano lowering springs (rear)
- UMI front/rear sway bars
- Founders Lower Control Arms (w/ Relocation Brackets)
- founders upper/lower Panhard bars
- BMR Torque Arm

Misc:
- Repainted engine bay (gloss and semi gloss black)
- Carbon Fiber 3M wrap: subtle accents (engine bay pieces, sail panel triangles, T-top bar,etc.)
- Painted undercarriage, rear end, wheel wells, spindles, catback and calipers.

Enough being a picture whore for now! LOL

Last edited:

Camarokid327

Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Thanks guys! Sucks that I only got to enjoy the new set up for 50 miles before the trans went bye bye. I've driven this damn thing only twice since october so I'm itching to take it out again. smh

Not sure how many of you guys go to supercar saturday but I think I'm going to swing by the last one of the year in Sept, so if you see the car don't hesitate to say hey! I might also try to attend the Midnight cruise.

Camarokid327

Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Figured I would give a quick update on the car.

So after suddenly losing all gears while driving to a 4th of July party I figured it was time to upgrade to something a little more reliable/durable. I gave the guys over at FLT a call and after spending some time chatting with Chuck about the car's current set up and future plans he recommend their 4l60e Level 4 trans. From the time I ordered it to the day I picked it up both Chuck and Adam were there to answer any questions I had and even gave me several update calls on the transmission's progress. In a time and age where most companies just want to sell you something and move on to the next possible sale, these guys really take the time to get to know you, the car, and your TRUE needs. Never once did I fell like I was trying to be sold something I did not need. Top notch customer service and all around great guys to deal with, they have a customer for life right here!

Now on to the transmission :cool: With this being my first build and built transmission I really didn't know what to expect, nor did I have any idea how god awful a stock stalled 4l60e really was. I cannot explain how amazing this transmission feels! The shifts are quick/smooth and the car feels like it pulls even harder than before!! It's almost as though it delivers the power more efficiently to the wheels than the stock one did.

Before, it was hard to get the car sideways or even chirp the tires when smashing the peddle to the floor from any speed. I simply chalk this up to all of my suspension upgrades and having a good set up (in my opinion) but with this new bad boy, I am finding myself breaking the tires loose and fighting the ass end from coming around at almost any speed below 45mph!! Really makes me question how much torque/power was truly being absorbing/lost through the stock unit. Bottom line, this FLT lvl 4 trans is bad ass and worth every penny!

Out with the old shitty stocker...

And in with the new! So fresh and so clean clean!

Camarokid327

Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
I want to see this car in person.
Well I'm planning to go to Supercar Saturday this weekend providing the weather holds up. Not sure if anyone else is planning to go but if you guys do and see the car swing by and say hello!

nice upgrade! same stall?

Thanks! Yes sir, still have the Yank SS3600 and man does it work well with the new trans

Beautifully done fbody man!!

Thanks man, I appreciate the kind words!

Camarokid327

Jul 24, 2013
Chicago
Well, the itch to keep modding the car hasn't stopped since putting her in storage in October and my Chicago artwork sales have been taking off of lately, it looks like I will be ordering some new goodies for the spring. :naughtyd:

Wheels/Tires:
- Weld RTS: 18x10 (7.1 BS w/ high pad), 18x11 (7.7 BS w/ medium pad
- Toyo R888: 295/30zr18 fronts, 315/30zr18 rears

Brakes:
- 04-07 CTS-V 4 piston Brembo front calipers
- 14" C6 Z06 Rotors
- SS brake lines (custom for conversion)

Appearance:
- Whistler mod front headlights
- Removal of 35th Anniv Stripes
- Lightly smoked tail lights
- Full vehicle wrap.

^^Now, color of the wrap has been the big debate, as I change my mind on this daily. (silver, orange, etc) I have always loved the Mystichrome color and find my self leaning towards a drastic change with something like Oracal's new 970RA "Lavender Turquoise"

What are your guys thoughts?? (too ricer like??)

Kind of the idea, however, this is paint and closer to true Mystichrome...I would keep the sail panel, front "SS" grille and rear berger panel gloss black

Last edited:

Thread Info