syP's 2014 Chevy SS LS3 build, Supercharged 700whp goodness*

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
syP's 2014 Chevy SS LS3 build, Supercharged 700whp goodness* now w/ MOAR vid on p.11

*estimated when done.

Shooting for 700whp and low 10s in the 1/4 all while the A/C seats are on.

• LSA Supercharger off a ZL1 Camaro
  • 2.55" Supercharger Pulley
  • 9.1" Lower pulley
  • ZL1 Lid
  • LS7 card style MAF
  • 2013 GT500 3.5" thick heat exchanger
  • Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with catless X
  • ID850 injectors
  • Cam - 219/235 .619 .610 116+5
  • ZL1 Torque Converter with Yank Flex Plate
  • alky control Meth injection
  • Ported Supercharger case and snout
  • Custom 5gallon Ice box with Rule 2000 Pump
  • Tuning by Shane Hinds
  • 28" hoosiers

As you guys know, I sold my 2014 Mustang GT (which I was going to build faster than my cobra) for this 2014 Chevrolet Malibu Impala Cruze SS.

SS.jpg

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

One week after I bought it I started to acquire parts for a nice bolt on setup to start with.. ***mayyybeee*** a cam later on.

So I bought some Kooks 1 7/8 catless headers/xpipe combo and a Vararam Intake.

ss3.jpg

Realizing how popular the LSA/CTSV supercharger swap was becoming on the g8 forums, I decided to look into it.

I've always wanted a CTS-V, but didnt want the outdated interior, and the fact that I work/see cadillacs for 55-60hrs a week.. the last thing I wanted to do was to drive one daily. So I reached out to my tuner.. aka Shane Hinds.. aka FAP Tuning down in Collinsville IL. Initially we just wanted to do the basic blower setup with the stock 2.95" pulley, headers and a tune. Would be good for about 520-540whp, since the LS3 has more compression than the LSA, this would make sense..

Things didnt go as planned.. :io: :bigthumb::wackit:

Being that I work at a cadillac dealership, I get parts ridiculously cheap. I bought EVERYTHING new but the blower. It was a low mileage take-off, from a 2013 ZL1 camaro. All it needed was the updated s/c coupler that tends to fail causing a rattle sound..

ss6.jpg

Took out the old s/c coupler that had some decent slop to it.

ss5.jpg

and in went the new updated one, which I purchased from speedinc.. a very very solid piece!

ss7.jpg

Only took about 30min start to finish to replace it, never doing it before. Sealed up the snout and put it back in the box.. the play is completely gone now, thankfully.

Started acquiring a LOT of parts over the past 3 months.

Gaskets... pullies... bolts... nuts... brackets... solenoid.. etc etc

ss9.jpg

Purchased the optional ZL1 camaro LID (upper intake/intercooler) since it has a front inlet for the coolant, whereas the CTSV has rear entry... hehe.. he said rear entry..... This is good for keeping coolant temps down... a few ponies here and there as well (people are netting 15whp from this lid)... worth it for the additional $40 it cost me.

ss4.jpg

Then... we started talking about camming the car.. LS9 cam is what I wanted. Nope.. we are doing a 219/235 .619 .610 116+5 instead.

Stock pulley?? NAH.. thats for pussies. We are going to pulley down a little.. Yea 600whp!!! lets do that!

Well.. what about torque converter?? I initially wanted to keep it stock, since my daily driver has a 3200 stall.. (weird, I know right?)..

I did some research on the Camaro ZL1 torque converter. Its a bolt on to the 6l80e trans. All that was needed is a new 6/6 bolt Flexplate from Yank designed for an LS1.

flexplate.jpg

Being that a LOT of CTS-V guys can easily run 1.5- 1.6 60fts or lower on a tire and bolt on setup with a STOCK converter I decided to go this route. It stalls 400-500 higher than stock and is a DUAL disc converter... stronger FTW!

My discount is STUPID on this

ss8.jpg

(side note.. I will be swapping my g8's 3.27 Camaro LSD pumpkin with the SS's 3.27 smaller LSD pumpkin... the camaro pumpkin is actually very strong and can handle some abuse.. Since I dont race the g8 anymore.. no need to use this)

Why stop there? I dont want 600whp. I want to SMOKE the cobra.. I want 700whp.

Houston... we are going e85 with ID850s.

Purchased the e85 Flex fuel setup

(The SS has a Camaro ZL1 fuel pump (dual) setup already from the factory.. ftw!)

flexfuel.jpg

going with the 2.5" Pulley on the stock balancer, with e85.. it should net some decent power :werd: ;)

I hope to be the fastest SS in the country at some point this year.. whether the record lasts for 1 day or 12 months.. I think it would be quite the feat... as quite a few SS members have Whipple chargers or Maggie2300s on their cars already.. most only run low to mid 11s.

Starting the build in approx 1-2 months

Last edited:

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
How much fo dat 3.27? ;)

Swapped from both cars..

The SS will get the camaro diff and the g8 will get the SS diff... which is basically a g8 GXP differential.. smaller.. weaker.. etc etc

So no tuning is required.

Same gear ratios in both cars.. just swapping the stronger diff in the weaker car to the stronger car with the weaker diff... so the weaker car will get the weaker diff and the stronger car will get the stronger diff.

amirite?

:drums: :gayy:

Thread Info