🔧 BUILD My 1993 Lincoln Town Car Build | 4v, Whippled

General Information

A little over a year ago, I sold the Cobra as a roller. The car was not for me (because it was missing two doors and just plain difficult to work on.)
Shortly after I said goodbye to the Mustang, I went looking for a 90's Town Car. I had previously owned 2 of them and loved them.
Luckily, a Florida Town Car presented itself in the local Craigslist. After a weeks work of $$ negotiations, It came home.

1000005502.jpg

Fast forward to October 2014, when I finally decided to mate the Cobra powerplant to the 93 Town Car.(Less TH400, Built 4R70W for this)
I knew I would be using a Marauder wiring harness to complete the job...I wasn't going to spend 900 bucks on a stand alone harness.
So I found a barrage of helpful items, all scored on ebay. I now had the tools to dive in.

I knew I would need headers, but no company made them for a 4V in this platform. So I had Stainless Works tack 4V flanges on the 2V Headers designed for this platform.....fit like a glove!

I undercoated the entire underside too....

I knew I wouldn't be using the pcm controlled fan, so I scoured the interet looking for the solution. What an epic win....Use a BMW dual temp switch with a 94-97 T-Bird Fan, custom mounted to a 95 Bronco Radiator.
And to control it all, a Volvo 2 speed relay.

I bought the radiator and fan from the boneyard for mockup, I bought new stuff for the final build.

For fuel, I bought 2 AEM 320 pumps and modified the stock fuel pump assembly. I also used a Racetronix pass through bulkhead for the pumps so I had enough juice.

A -8 line goes to the front and the factory feed and return line are Tee'd together for the return path. I even switched the orientation of the stock fuel filter for double filtraton!
The 2nd pump is run off a Hobbs Switch so it doesn't run full time.

I knew I'd need a stout Rear Diff, so I elected Dutchman Motorsports to custom make me a set of 31 Spline axles. Along with those, I installed energy suspension control arm bushings, and had 3:73 gears and a Cobra Diff installed.

I decided to make my own cooling fittings for the heads:

I ended up using the ON3 Tstat housing, customized for the dual temp fan switch I mentioned earlier:

Battery tray in the trunk:

I refused to buy an aftermarket trans cooler, so I plucked 2 stacked plate coolers from late 90's Ford Explorers in the boneyard. $25 investment.

The intercooler circuit got the standard Frozen Boost radiator and Cobra IC pump:

The intake is made from off the shelf stuff from Frozen Boost. 4" Piping with an 05+ Slot MAF

Power Point for all the goodies:

Time to start thinking about wiring, UGH. Took a few weeks but it all went ok...probably 100 different solder joints.

Some detailed notes I made along the way:

OBD2 Functional:

Yesterday she fired right up!

Now, I need to modify the spindles for this insane brake setup I have. CTS-V calipers with GT 500 rotors.

What a blast this has been. I'm hoping to be 100% done by spring. I will also need a set of 19" wheels and tires to clear the brakes. I will keep you updated as I wrap things up.

EDIT: 2/17/16 I have added most or all of the pictures to this thread, so you don't have to go through all of it.

I ran into a minor roadblock fitting the wipers.
No biggie, I need to change the old crappy 1st Gen Livernois Valve springs before I beat on it anyway....Marauder Cam cover it is.

I ordered gauges today, here is my template before cutting. Gotta go find a protractor SMH. lol Its gonna be tight, but It will all fit.

The car moved under its own power today, awesome.

Its up on the lift now awaiting the stainless piping to arrive.

In the meantime, I started working on the dash. I still need to carve the plastic out of the bezel so the gauge assembly will fit.

I'm having a blast with this project. :jg:

Got the dash modified so it would all fit

I accomplished way more than I set out to tonight.
I modified both spare spindles to accommodate the new calipers.
I was able to get a decent tack by heating the surfaces up with mapp gas first.
I'm having this finish welded by a pro.

Boy do I hate making exhaust. Stainless wire (.035) would not work in my wire feed welder (only takes .030) Tacking 409 with mild steel wire is not fun....the weld cracks when it cools. Figured out I need to heat the area surrounding before tacking to avoid cracking. I will finish weld with stainless rod.

Passenger side is done. Awaiting 4 more 45 degree bends to do the drivers side. I am running dumps for now. Shit is expensive.

Still trying to figure the solutions for hangers at the muffler.

Big relief, I don't need to spend money on 19" wheels
I test fit everything, all seems well!

The caliper will sit closer to the rim when I buy the appropriate spacer

And somehow one of the 4 mounts got welded slightly off. I wasn't about to remove and have re-welded. I also was not worried about opening the ID because the braking force will always have the bolt against the solid part of the mount. In any case, I made a filler with stainless sheet and the gap is taken up nicely. I'll sleep easy now that this is done

I'm still making good progress.
I Tig welded the passenger side on Thursday night. (first time using a tig)
By the time I had finished, I had progressed to the point of the welds looking really good.
This morning, I built the drivers side.
Lastly, I made the brackets and hanger for the passenger side.

The pipes are tucked up and out of view.

Lovin' it!

Update: The exhaust is done from the headers to mufflers with dumps. The drone is insane so I will have to extend the pipes to the back... In a few weeks.

I finished the dashboard today, and it's pretty badass IMHO.

The AEM gauge is also a boost gauge and failsafe gauge. I chose to wire in a 12v alarm to go off if the AF goes above the programmed value. (I snagged it out of a retired oxygen concentrator at my job. LMFFAO.

I'm rebuilding the front suspension this week, and tires arrive tomorrow.

Here is the 12v alarm installed in the dash panel below the column:

And here is the dash. I installed turn signal LED's, High Beam indicator, OD cancel light, and the Check engine light is now in the factory Anti-Lock Brake position. (I deleted Anti-Lock Brakes, that shit is for pussies.)

I wrapped up the entire front suspension last night.

Removing upper and lower control arm bushings on this car is quite the task.
I also installed new front coil springs. I'm keeping the entire car stock ride height because IDGAF. Using a spring compressor is just about the scariest job any mechanic can do....F that.
I also did a quick mock-up of the brakes and wheel.
Have you ever seen the front suspension of a 93 Lincoln so clean? :bowrofl:

With a 2" wheel spacer (I ordered a 1.5 for the fronts)

Oh yeah, the hood fits:

The brake lines are on the truck for delivery, along with speed bleeders.
Hopefully they will go on without a hitch.

Passenger side is done

Sway bar is back on with good bushings. I had to enlarge the end link holes because I'm using 2000 Town Car spindles (which have larger end links)

I also experimented on the logo. I changed the 'V' to TC (Town car) with some electrical tape. Not sure if I'll keep it or not (I'd paint it)

The car definitely sits high with all new springs. I'll drive it for a few month, let everything settle then re-evaluate

Im getting there!
After installing new front springs, it sat like an F-150.
So I removed them, cut 1.5 coils off and the result is perfection.

The rest of the build is in post #9

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Alignment this week. Waiting on Valve springs to be back in stock at BTR to replace the old Failure-Prone Livernois springs that are in it now.

I repaired all 4 window motors, installed the radio/speakers and fit the ebay gas gauge where the cigarette lighter was....

While I was waiting for the Meth kit to arrive, I modded the spare trans crossmember I bought from the boneyard. Its not the prettiest, but it was cheap and is quite strong now. I will paint it black before installing.
The alkycontrol Meth kit is awesome. I have gobs of room to install the tank and pump (this weekend.) My next dyno apt is May 7th

I was supposed to be back to the dyno May 7th, but had to cancel due to our annual inspection at work.
Now I have to Wait until the first week in June, SMH. The car is plenty driveable though.

In the meantime, I actually washed it and took some pictures.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rent Free

Thread Info