85 Fiero Build

Only got a couple photos when the car first got delivered - V6 doesn't work.
Things first noticed on the project:
- Battery tray (completely rusted through)
- Locks/window handle
- Sunroof leaks
- Radio stuck
- Possible coolant leak
- Transmission
- Body paint cracking
- Sail window cracked
- Driver side headlight doesn't go up, both don't go down
- Badges Missing
- Needs all around new brakes
- Front windshield broken seal

It's my first manual so it shouldn't be too bad for a learner. Can't wait to get started

Attachments

• DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
i <3 moss

There's so much moss/algae on the thing it's almost ridiculous haha. The guy lives next to Lake Michigan I believe and its been sitting for so long it just kinda collected. Hell even the exhaust has moss/algae growing :p

Lookin good. Hows the rust?

Not bad at all which I was really concerned about. There's some surface around the bottom but I have to jack it up to see if there's any spots that are really bad. There's a little on the wheel wells under the trunk carpet, and the battery tray is completely gone so I'm gonna need to replace that.

Overall I haven't been able to start it up yet, so my first project is getting new terminals and running new lines/grounds for the battery. The previous owner from my understanding grounded the starter/negative at the same spot :ugh:

Nothing too huge to update on, got the new tabs for the sunroof, and it leaks in one of the corners. A little nervous about drilling for the A-Frame drain.

Underside is virtually spotless besides the gas tank, not really sure what to do about that yet. Cleaned and polished it up so it's at least a little cleaner than when I got it.

Think I'm deciding on a L67 swap over the 3400. Hopefully going to pull the cradle this weekend to see what's up with the old engine.

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
Nothing too huge to update on, got the new tabs for the sunroof, and it leaks in one of the corners. A little nervous about drilling for the A-Frame drain.

Underside is virtually spotless besides the gas tank, not really sure what to do about that yet. Cleaned and polished it up so it's at least a little cleaner than when I got it.

Think I'm deciding on a L67 swap over the 3400. Hopefully going to pull the cradle this weekend to see what's up with the old engine.

Looks like a fun project. A l67 would be sweet, but the 3400 would be way easier. Doesn't everything from the 2.8 bolt right up to it?

Looks like a fun project. A l67 would be sweet, but the 3400 would be way easier. Doesn't everything from the 2.8 bolt right up to it?

From what I remember looking up, the 3400 does use a lot of the stock 2.8 bolt on's, but I really don't mind the extra power for the little bit of extra work.

Bought an engine stand yesterday, and this afternoon I think I'm gonna try and pull the cradle.

Edit: Haven't been able to pull the cradle, still be disconnecting everything. All i have left is the cradle bolts, and the brake lines to disconnect and she's all ready to be dropped.

Attachments

• IMG-20120831-00018.jpg
    IMG-20120831-00018.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG-20120830-00014.jpg
    IMG-20120830-00014.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG-20120830-00015.jpg
    IMG-20120830-00015.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG-20120831-00017.jpg
    IMG-20120831-00017.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG-20120831-00019.jpg
    IMG-20120831-00019.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I was lucky enough that Jfrost came over today to come check out these damn cradle bolts in the rear. We broke one of my adapters and one of his sockets and it still wouldn't come out. Just gotta keep soaking them until they finally budge or cut them out.

My rust isn't as bad as I thought it was, but its still a little I have to touch up. Meanwhile atleast, I'm just doing the smaller things to keep myself atleast feel like I'm making progress so today I painted a heatshield and a couple blower tubings. Looks a lot better already

Last edited:
Finally got some stuff done this weekend, worked about 18 hours. Glad I got this done now instead of when its going to snow.

I apologize in advance for the crappy cellphone pictures.

After 3 months and finally getting the bolts out I was able to finally drop the cradle.

Obligatory Fiero standing in the engine bay picture

How I left my garage Friday night. Had a group of 6 people over helping take this thing apart. Transmission was stuck and eventually got it off a couple hours later.

As she sits right now on the stand waiting for me to tear her down and see what's wrong with her.

Clutch looks brand new. I don't think the PO ever changed it, but it's pretty mint for 78,000 on it.

Forgot to take a picture of it, but the inside of the block is as clean as can be. Not even close to a sign of dirt. Haven't checked the connecting rod bearings, so that should be coming up within a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to a nice winter project at least.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Very nice! One thing I noticed is it looks like you're using a piece of 2x4 to do the lifting with the jack. Don't, in one of the first pictures it looks likes it's bending quite a bit. You should use a piece of 4x4, it's a lot thicker and a safer. I believe that even the that it is the recommended size in the Fiero service manual.

Besides that it likes a a very well done engine removal and now you can move on to the fun stuff!

Very nice! One thing I noticed is it looks like you're using a piece of 2x4 to do the lifting with the jack. Don't, in one of the first pictures it looks likes it's bending quite a bit. You should use a piece of 4x4, it's a lot thicker and a safer. I believe that even the that it is the recommended size in the Fiero service manual.

Besides that it likes a a very well done engine removal and now you can move on to the fun stuff!

Realized the 2x4 wasn't right. I didn't get another picture of it but I did fix it. You are correct though it's supposed to be a 4x4. Got more stuff done this weekend which is a lot more fun than the cradle.

Did some work this weekend. Getting closer to tearing the entire engine down, still unsure why the engine wouldn't start.

Removed the struts from the cradle. I have to get a 30mm deep well for the axle nuts still. Haven't tried removing the caliper bolts yet either.

Someone locally was selling the aux gauges and I've always thought they were pretty cool to have. I have the V6, but I still have the 85 Speedo (is that normal) ?

Started removing the outer accessories and the intake manifolds.

Removed one of the heads, still keeping everything organized for the most part. Not removing more until I can make sure everything I take apart from the future on is organized correctly.

One of the piston heads. Nothing overly burnt, I can't see any chips taken out of the top.

All of the cylinder walls are cross-hatched. Some work had to be done recently on it, but its all mirror finished.

Practically perfect valves minus the spider.

Third piston valves corroded. Only a little bit of water in the oil.

In the next week I'm going to try and find some ways to keep the rest of the short block organized so I can put it back together correctly.

What still needs to be removed:
- Other head
- pushrods/lifters
- Timing cover
- Water pump
- crank/camshaft
- pistons

Looking forward to any questions, comments, or any answers.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Unless it was locked up totally, I bet your issues with the engine not starting were cranking or fuel/spark/computer related. Honestly even a beat to snot short block that turns over will probably start if given fuel/spark and is decently in time. Just saying. L67 swap sounds like a good bet though, a 3800 in one of these with a stick should make for a killer driver car.

Unless it was locked up totally, I bet your issues with the engine not starting were cranking or fuel/spark/computer related. Honestly even a beat to snot short block that turns over will probably start if given fuel/spark and is decently in time. Just saying. L67 swap sounds like a good bet though, a 3800 in one of these with a stick should make for a killer driver car.

Still trying to decide between the 3800 and the 3.4L Pushrod from a Camaro. The 3.4 would let me get this on the road a lot quicker and cheaper, but the power from the 3800 would be hard to pass up.

Never really went into depth testing why it wouldn't start. I figured since the last owner told me had knock that it wasn't worth too far looking into without tearing the block apart. At this point it seems like I should have.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I have the V6, but I still have the 85 Speedo (is that normal) ?

Yes, from my understanding you only get the 120 mph speedo in an 86-88 GT (the Formula may have come with one as well).

As far as going for either the L67 or 3.4 it all depends on what you want out of it. As you know the aftermarket for the L67 is vast and can offer a lot more power potential than the 3.4 engine. If your goal is to get the car on the road ASAP, go with the 3.4 engine. If your long term goal is more power and being able to build upon what you have, L67 all the way. Yeah the engine, mounts and additional swap parts cost you more, but you start out with considerably more power and a lot more potential for growth.

My honest opinion is do it right and wait for the L67. Save some money, gather parts, and do all the research needed to complete the swap properly. Once you have that hopefully it takes you less time to put it all together than it has for me :rollpicard:

Yes, from my understanding you only get the 120 mph speedo in an 86-88 GT (the Formula may have come with one as well).

As far as going for either the L67 or 3.4 it all depends on what you want out of it. As you know the aftermarket for the L67 is vast and can offer a lot more power potential than the 3.4 engine. If your goal is to get the car on the road ASAP, go with the 3.4 engine. If your long term goal is more power and being able to build upon what you have, L67 all the way. Yeah the engine, mounts and additional swap parts cost you more, but you start out with considerably more power and a lot more potential for growth.

My honest opinion is do it right and wait for the L67. Save some money, gather parts, and do all the research needed to complete the swap properly. Once you have that hopefully it takes you less time to put it all together than it has for me :rollpicard:

Makes me feel a little better on the speedo, thought maybe the guy swapped it out to falsify the mileage. Ideally I would prefer to get this thing on the road and then build up the L67 in my garage so I can at least enjoy this thing because I haven't even been able to drive it!

Thanks as always for the advice and info.

Been working a little more this weekend slowly tearing down to the small block and I finally hit gold. These connecting rod bearings were supposedly brand new and only ran for a little before the previous owner swapped the bearings.

How it started:

Checking the bearings to find if the guy did actually spin a bearing:

Pushed the pistons out to see if maybe the top ones went bad

A little difficult to tell but I found my red-headed step child: :drums:

The destroyed cam journal:

How it sits right now:

Definitely not sure where I'm going to go now with this project. Glad I atleast found the problem and finished tearing down my first engine.

Thread Info