2017 Woodward Dream Cruise

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not sure if any here already go, but figuring if peeps like to go on the tour, drive south to be with the Hillbillies of Illinois to go fast, what's a short trip to Detroit, right? I've gone the past 5 years and it is awesome to say the least. I'm on the fence myself this year because last year was fairly costly (I had problems...), but if enough peeps are interested...

Anyway, Every year, third weekend of August, in Detroit, starting at Ferndale and running to Pontiac, is the Woodward Dream Cruise. Think of it what Sturgis or Daytona bike week means to bikers. What started as a simple Saturday event, now has blossomed into a full week of festivities up to that Saturday. Basically Detroit shuts down for this. They estimate that 40,000 cars come annually. Detroit is also a GREAT place for photo ops of your car.

If you want to see mustangs, I think every mustang in existence shows up. Same for Corvette's, Camaro's, etc... You will seen anything and everything... You will see prototypes of vehicles, and even vehicles you see rumored in car rags. I saw a C7 Corvette before C7 Corvette's even hit the dealerships (it was next to me going up Woodward). Hellcat's the same. None were out yet, yet Chrysler had them roaming up and down Woodward one year, with a vehicle behind them with a loudspeaker "Yes, that IS a Hellcat..." The new aluminum F-150, the new Colorado, I had an ATS-V prototype next to me going south one year when the car was still in rumors... My point is, it's Detroit, the motor capital of the world, you'll see "stuff".

Details;
When: August 19th, 2017
Where: Detroit, Michigan, USA

What I end up doing is heading up that preceeding Wednesday after work, and come back that Sunday. I usually rent cheap places to stay simply because all I'm there for is for a few hours to lay my head. Otherwise, I have the Bonneville, GTO, F-Body friends from Detroit that I hang out with...

This is a fun family event too... Because I has issues last year, my Wife came and "rescued" me and the kids had a blast...

Both Bryan and Natalie at the riverfront by RenCen
UhcRQxu.jpg

Bryan talking the ear of Keenan Smith (formely at WGN here in Chicago, now WXYZ in Detroit) about tornado's
mofyRB9.jpg

First Jungle green sighting EVAR
4eMrtja.jpg

Like I say, lots of photo ops for your whip

My Baby, at home at Lansing-Grand River assembly... The Camaro and CTS are built here now (I went out there for the Camaro 50th tour), and my STS was built here in 2006;
szkZ0L9.jpg

Parked in the Chevy Volt charging spot AT GM HQ (RenCen)
9L7tlOG.jpg

At the old Packard Plant (every year, I would go to see the continued decline of the plant. Unfortunately the road right in front was closed off that year and I had to go the next block over).
Xqbm5xO.jpg

I have tons of photos over the years, too many to post, but it is an awesome time. I end up hanging out with the Bonneville guys, the Holden guys, and the V guys.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yup. The far right lane (sometimes the second right lane), the by-standers water it down for ya. :D

Just don't do it in Royal Oak... A friend found out the hard way.

There is also a nice stretch of what is usually open road on Woodward, north of Bloomfield Hills before you get into the Pontiac "loop" where you can "go at it". I tangled with a very well built LSA CTS-V a few years back and I won't mention speed, but it wasn't until a very high rate of speed that he started to walk away...

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Today, the Woodward Dream Cruise is the world’s largest one-day automotive event, drawing 1.5 million people and 40,000 classic cars each year from around the globe — from as far away as New Zealand, Australia, Japan and the former Soviet Union. North American cruisers from California, Georgia, Canada and all points in between caravan to Metro Detroit to participate in what has become, for many, an annual rite of summer.

http://woodwarddreamcruise.com/index.html/#

This is what it looks like on Saturday, from Ferndale to Pontiac and back...;
dreamingandcruising.jpg

Thread Info