I need a job...career.

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well it is just brutal out there. I've been on several interviews, all sound promising, I even get a second interview and then everything goes to hell. I guess the problem is that I'm at that age where I want to make decent money yet people look at me as a kid. I'm going to be 25 soon however, I'm not a GD kid.

I have experience in customer service, sales and within dealerships working with BG Products (a company dealing with private sales in dealers). As well as Security in a past position.

I'm basically looking for the following job fields.

service advisor
service consultant (sales)

or applying my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, however everywhere I look cops are getting laid off. So that's why I'm looking into the automotive field these days.

I have the following in education

HS diploma from Prospect High School
Associates Deg William Rainey Harper College
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Illinois State University.

I have several resumes on file as well. Anyone know of local dealers, shops, etc.. hiring for these positions please let me know.

Other than that I'm constantly testing with police agencies. Whatever I get into I give 110%. Just looking for some decent money and a job that I could possibly build into a career.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Being an HR guy, my first question would be what is going to hell in your 2nd interview(s)? Also, just because you have resume, doesn't mean that it is a good one. For example, I will not consider a candidate with spelling errors on their resume, even if it is for a $14/hr. manufacturing position.

Have you written out answers to common interview questions, so you are better prepared and more consistent with your responses? When I was interviewing earlier this year, I had several pages of interview questions/answers typed up to make me better prepared and not dig myself into a hole. I actually enjoy interviewing overall.

Do you always wear a suit / jacket, tie and dress pants? No matter what the position, always dress your best. It definitely impresses me more with blue collar jobs because it shows you are more serious about the opportunity.

Being 24 (almost 25) is not the issue. I just turned 27 and I have been an HR Manager for 3 years now. The issue is you are not being a good competitor. You have a good education, but you are competing with all of the baby boomers (which is a lot) along with an over abundance of students graduating from college for so few jobs. You need to make yourself standout from the rest.

I was laid-off earlier this year and I found a job in less than two months. I was interviewing with several companies before I accepeted a position and some still contacted me afterward as well.

There are plenty of opportunities out there, it just depends on if you want to go the distance.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
I understand what you are saying but those are not my problems. I have had people critique my resumes, I most certainly go in with a suit and tie, I can't imagine who wouldn't.

I might need to practice on more interview questions, however I never freeze up or get concerned over the questions. This is why I'm like WTF? I've had managers even hand me business cards and say they really like me and what I'm about, to call them the next day after they finish the rest of the interviews. I DO EVERYTHING.

I do think I need to take my pissed off attitude and apply that to my interviewing, in the sense, making myself more competitive and ambitious.

And also the reason for you finding a job sounds like you previously were an HR somewhere. You have experience, that's why you found a job so quickly. I'm at entry level which is a heck of a lot harder to get someone willing to train and hire you. Every job I'm looking at for the most part want some previous experience.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen any ads in these areas of work.

Being an HR guy, my first question would be what is going to hell in your 2nd interview(s)? Also, just because you have resume, doesn't mean that it is a good one. For example, I will not consider a candidate with spelling errors on their resume, even if it is for a $14/hr. manufacturing position.

Have you written out answers to common interview questions, so you are better prepared and more consistent with your responses? When I was interviewing earlier this year, I had several pages of interview questions/answers typed up to make me better prepared and not dig myself into a hole. I actually enjoy interviewing overall.

Do you always wear a suit / jacket, tie and dress pants? No matter what the position, always dress your best. It definitely impresses me more with blue collar jobs because it shows you are more serious about the opportunity.

Being 24 (almost 25) is not the issue. I just turned 27 and I have been an HR Manager for 3 years now. The issue is you are not being a good competitor. You have a good education, but you are competing with all of the baby boomers (which is a lot) along with an over abundance of students graduating from college for so few jobs. You need to make yourself standout from the rest.

I was laid-off earlier this year and I found a job in less than two months. I was interviewing with several companies before I accepeted a position and some still contacted me afterward as well.

There are plenty of opportunities out there, it just depends on if you want to go the distance.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
I think all you can do is try try and keep trying bro. Im sure there are tons of ppl in your same exact position, going for these same jobs and thats why you're just short of getting the job.

Now Im not sure how many different job positions you can get with your degree in Criminal Justice.. but have you thought about maybe applying for positions other than what you specifically want to do.. just to get in the field in general? I would assume it would make it a lot easier to get the job you want if you already work for that department... then applying for what you want to do when something is available. Im pretty sure a department would be more inclined to hire someone they already know, who is in good standings with them and works for them vs someone off the street.

It just seems to me that you would be settling and your degree would go for nothing if you went into the automotive field. Not being able to use a bachelors degree is what terrified me while I was going to college and I finished just short of my associates and as a result, Ive been working jobs without a degree just trying to work my way up.. going nowhere really, which has lead me to joining the Military. But you have a degree and I think you should do your best to use it, even if its just to get into the field on a much lower pay scale than what you exactly want right now.

Good luck my friend.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
That's some good advice bro. Yeah, that's basically my situation. There's just so much talent out there now since people are getting laid off, so it makes it so damn frustrating and competitive. I will say that all the interviewing is good experience though. Every interview experience after the next gets easier and easier.

Well automotive would be something just for now. Cops are getting laid off worse then big corporations I swear, at least around here. I've just started doing what your talking about though. Thought it over earlier this past weekend. I'm going to start applying to police assistant positions. They're community service officers for departments. Basically they do the bitch work for all the Officers. It is a good way to work my way into a good department and get on board since it's ALL ABOUT POLITICS.

Outside of that I talked it over with the girlfriend and I'm going to start applying out of state to a few bigger cities, some out west for that matter. I'm staying away from Federal right now though, I just don't want to be jerked around all over the country, wouldn't be fair to Kristy either. If I move, I want it to be one big move and that's it. If I was single it would be a different story, but........things you do for love haha.

Thanks man, it's just frustrating, I'll find something. No matter what law enforcement is my future, I'm just trying to find a job with decent pay while I can test around.

I think all you can do is try try and keep trying bro. Im sure there are tons of ppl in your same exact position, going for these same jobs and thats why you're just short of getting the job.

Now Im not sure how many different job positions you can get with your degree in Criminal Justice.. but have you thought about maybe applying for positions other than what you specifically want to do.. just to get in the field in general? I would assume it would make it a lot easier to get the job you want if you already work for that department... then applying for what you want to do when something is available. Im pretty sure a department would be more inclined to hire someone they already know, who is in good standings with them and works for them vs someone off the street.

It just seems to me that you would be settling and your degree would go for nothing if you went into the automotive field. Not being able to use a bachelors degree is what terrified me while I was going to college and I finished just short of my associates and as a result, Ive been working jobs without a degree just trying to work my way up.. going nowhere really, which has lead me to joining the Military. But you have a degree and I think you should do your best to use it, even if its just to get into the field on a much lower pay scale than what you exactly want right now.

Good luck my friend.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
That's some good advice bro. Yeah, that's basically my situation. There's just so much talent out there now since people are getting laid off, so it makes it so damn frustrating and competitive. I will say that all the interviewing is good experience though. Every interview experience after the next gets easier and easier.

Well automotive would be something just for now. Cops are getting laid off worse then big corporations I swear, at least around here. I've just started doing what your talking about though. Thought it over earlier this past weekend. I'm going to start applying to police assistant positions. They're community service officers for departments. Basically they do the bitch work for all the Officers. It is a good way to work my way into a good department and get on board since it's ALL ABOUT POLITICS.

Outside of that I talked it over with the girlfriend and I'm going to start applying out of state to a few bigger cities, some out west for that matter. I'm staying away from Federal right now though, I just don't want to be jerked around all over the country, wouldn't be fair to Kristy either. If I move, I want it to be one big move and that's it. If I was single it would be a different story, but........things you do for love haha.

Thanks man, it's just frustrating, I'll find something. No matter what law enforcement is my future, I'm just trying to find a job with decent pay while I can test around.

I just dont wanna see you 10 years from now.. doing something you dont want to do because you settled and have it not relate to what you went to school for. You worked your ass off for that Bachelors Degree and you need to do something with it, in some way, shape or form... and starting at the bottom, but still in the criminal justice field is a great way to make sure that doesnt happen. And that doesnt say you cant be going to interviews for the job you want while doing so either.

And I completely understand about not wanting to be getting moved around to place to place because you're in a relationship.. but in the end.. its your life, and if shes in it for the long haul, she'll understand that you're doing what you need to do to have a better life.. and she'll understand that if she lets you do that, she'll have a better life in the long run too with you.

So with that said.. if you need to look out of state to be successful.. and you know that will make you happy.. then thats what you need to do bro.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
One of the best things anyone can do is get on www.linkedin.com and start networking. Try to connect with anyone/everyone you know. At the end of the day, it's not just what you know, it's who you know. LinkedIn will gove your future employer proof....

I agree 100% on it being about politics and who you know, but LinkedIn has been completely useless for me.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well, pretty sure I am employed, THANK GOD. :wiggle: I got a phone call today asking if I wanted a job as a service advisor (already interviewed twice) for a local shop. Great shop, great group of guys I think I fit in real well, which also is a plus. I'm going to be making pretty damn good money as well, which was something I was really after. Living at home after college fn blows, I just can't take it anymore, plan to move out with my girl late spring.

I thought long and hard about it, I would like to use my CJ degree but trying out to be a cop these days is a cruel joke, 500 people applying for 2 positions and I'm not working in the ghetto to just be a cop. I'm not giving up on my dream of law enforcement, but for the time being a job that is paying me a steady income making good money with good hours. I would be an idiot to turn it down. I'm grateful for the job in these shitty times.

I have to go in and fill out paper work tomorrow. FINALLY employment, took me 2 and a half months of plugging away. I knew my resumes and interviewing skills weren't the problem, I worked my ass off on them and it paid off. :)

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Hey GTPDiva you don't happen to have a copy of those common interview question by chance do ya? Can't hurt to see what would be "common" for a HR guy.

BTW bones, I am sure you know but have you been keeping an eye on theblueline.com for LEO positions? And Federal is the way to go. Last I checked on usajobs.org there was a fair amount of jobs for USSS, and BP. I am waiting for jan. for another US Marshall position.

Bones

Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
WOW really irrational comments above, minus the last one, ummm that depends where you work. I work at a local shop. Customers at times may not like the prices, but no they don't scream and holler, and if so I have two bosses that would come to my defense as well as the company's, that's how you run a good business. Besides, this is called life, it sucks sometimes, role with the punches. I used to do work with this shop so I know what I'm getting into. Secondly, there's only a handful of techs and they're all decent guys. Incidents happen, I don't see constant negativity being the problem however. I'm not working at a dealership, which is where you would get a lot of shit from people and again I've worked with dealerships at a previous job, so I know what I'm getting into.

I'll be fine, thanks for looking out for me tho.

sickmint79
The ridicule about obtaining a criminal justice degree as not a "thinking degree," shows how little you know. What were you "thinking." I graduated from Illinois State University with honors 3.6 on a 4 scale, not ITTech. People get CJ degrees because they're pursuing a career in law enforcement. This is how you can truly break into the field, interning, meeting and communicating with higher officials etc... I interned at Palatine and over half the staff had a CJ degree, I guess they can't think. If times didn't suck I would be an Officer with them right now, words out of the Deputy Chief's mouth. I'm done wasting my time on this, that's all ya get. I think you need a thinking degree so that next time before you get online and start typing you use your brain.

Silentshado I appreciate it man, yeah I've been all over blueline publicsafety and usajobs. Continuously testing with several depts as well. Even though I found steady work, I'm not giving up on my dream. If you want to go federal expect 3 years of civil service duty to get into a position as a deputy us marshall or as any fed. They hire those with comp degrees, accounting, law, and those who are bi/tri lingual. Otherwise it's 3-5 years of civil service duties. Of course you could do border patrol or ice. I'm on usajob applying myself. The SS position is for a cop in DC. Just not worth it to me. It's an in, but I have other obligations. I say go for it tho man! And thanks for the info, it's appreciated, but yep I'm on them all.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
sickmint79
The ridicule about obtaining a criminal justice degree as not a "thinking degree," shows how little you know. What were you "thinking." I graduated from Illinois State University with honors 3.6 on a 4 scale, not ITTech. People get CJ degrees because they're pursuing a career in law enforcement. This is how you can truly break into the field, interning, meeting and communicating with higher officials etc... I interned at Palatine and over half the staff had a CJ degree, I guess they can't think. If times didn't suck I would be an Officer with them right now, words out of the Deputy Chief's mouth. I'm done wasting my time on this, that's all ya get. I think you need a thinking degree so that next time before you get online and start typing you use your brain.

that was no attempt at ridicule just merely offering you what i have heard. both of my cop friends (one has a CJ degree iirc) have mentioned that it is better to have a non-CJ degree and they particularly like more analytical type degrees, because they like people that have good critical thinking skills. i have a degree in comp sci and they both said i could walk into a department anywhere and be at the top of the list with this, because they can teach CJ related stuff on the job and there is a sea of people with that degree. plenty of the jobs are more desk related i suppose but it's also no secret that the fbi heavily recruits from accounting.

also note one of my cop friends is in orland park and the other was in twin lakes, wi and now las vegas. both have expressed disappointment with the job recently. the one in vegas is in law school now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info