Another Guy Now Looking

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Well I just found out that in 2 weeks I will no longer be working. I am reaching out to the garage to see if anyone knows anyone that can help me out getting a new J.O.B. I am a commercial/residential project manager. I have been in the field for 10 years and have a bachelours degree in construction management from Illinois State University. Again any and all help is greatly appreciated.

shaferz

slaps a ho
Sep 9, 2008
Central IL
Sorry to hear of the misfortune, and you probably dont need me to tell you this, but trying to find another job in construction - even in project management, is going to be next to impossible durring the winter months, especially with new housing starts continuing to be as low as they are.

Might be a good time to pick up an additional trade until things start to pick back up.

Good luck either way!

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
I hear ya, the only good thing I have going for me is the fact that I do commercial as well. Alot of people I know do just residential which we all know is in the shitter. I can do a ton of other stuff too, I know how to repair cars but the problem is I am not ase certified so no one wants to hire me unless it's for oil changes and tire changing at 9 dollars an hour. I can also do web pages, repair computers and other computer related things but again no degree or certifications gets me no where.

P.S. Not only can I run a project, but I can also do the work of the trades. I can do tile, drywall, carpentry, painting, plumbing, and electrical, etc.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's just not a good time, you are in the same boat as a lot of guys in the trades that are getting laid off. You'd be better off looking for a job like Homedepot or something to use your experience to 1. get you a job 2. help people out. This obviously is only for the time being, but looking for a job that doesn't really exist the next 4-5months is going to be nearly impossible.

But welcome!!

I know what your going through. I just lost my job yesterday. I signed up for unemployment, again. The thing that sucks for me is daycare expenses. The Tutor time that my kids go to runs 490.00 a week for 2 kids. Yep that's right 25K a year. I have to make twice that just to make daycare worth it. I have a degree in electrical engineering with 12 years experience. Even for a guy like me 50K jobs don't exist anymore.

Considering the cost of day care, staying home with the little guys collecting unemployment pays more believe it or not. It only last a max of 72 weeks, but it's better than nothing. You've worked for it, The way I see it, it's owed back to you.

I'd say sign up for unemployment and take the time to look around. The max someone can get is 533.00 a week take home after taxes. If you qualify for the max it's like a 15 to 17 an hour job (before taxes), which is much better than working at a Home Depot or something.

I wish you good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info