• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. Give it a try.

Rear end vibration at high speeds

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Well I've had the new rear in for a while but I've just been driving it around nothing crazy. Finally got on it and ran it up over 100 and it gets really loud and vibrates all the way up the driveshaft it feels like.

I know it's not the DS because I just put a new PST on a while ago.

The rear was just re-built. New 2011 Strange housing. New Detroit locker. New ring and pinion and all new bearings. The only thing re-used were the axles. Which leads me to believe that it was set up wrong.

I hate to think like that so I'm trying to rule out other things before I just have it re-built. Could the pinion angle make it vibrate bad?
And another thing, I have a new 1350 yoke to have put on the rear because I was an idiot when I first got the rear in the car it had a 1350 yoke with the tabs on the sides and I had a stock DS with stock u-joints. Instead of thinking about it I was an idiot and cut the tabs off so the u-joints would fit. Hoping when I did that that I didn't tighten the u-joint in the yoke off center and mess up the pinion bearing. Could that be it?

Just looking for some advice as to what it might be. I'm no expert on rear ends.

Yep your 100% correct it is the drive shaft. The same EXACT thing happened to me a few years ago. I took it in under warranty and it was replaced free of charge, thank god.

After the new one was installed it made a big difference.

An old hot rodder once told me to spray paint a perfectly straight line down the length of the drive shaft. He said if the line ever starts to twist then it's easy to see.

I did not take his advice but I never forgot it.

Devildog1833

Regular
Aug 10, 2011
I have an Strange S60 that is noisy and does give some vibration. It actually whines pretty good. I have talked with strange and they tell me for this car (f-body) it is normal and not much can be done. They could change gears but it may be the same after that so I have left it. Do you feel the vibration in the seat? Also, I believe pinion angle could do it is it was far off, for yours I believe it should be at -2.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Well I've had the new rear in for a while but I've just been driving it around nothing crazy. Finally got on it and ran it up over 100 and it gets really loud and vibrates all the way up the driveshaft it feels like.

I know it's not the DS because I just put a new PST on a while ago.

The rear was just re-built. New 2011 Strange housing. New Detroit locker. New ring and pinion and all new bearings. The only thing re-used were the axles. Which leads me to believe that it was set up wrong.

I hate to think like that so I'm trying to rule out other things before I just have it re-built. Could the pinion angle make it vibrate bad?
And another thing, I have a new 1350 yoke to have put on the rear because I was an idiot when I first got the rear in the car it had a 1350 yoke with the tabs on the sides and I had a stock DS with stock u-joints. Instead of thinking about it I was an idiot and cut the tabs off so the u-joints would fit. Hoping when I did that that I didn't tighten the u-joint in the yoke off center and mess up the pinion bearing. Could that be it?

Just looking for some advice as to what it might be. I'm no expert on rear ends.

Fail!!! Drive shaft and the pinion angle ftw.... u made the offroading f-body stock height drop down to supercar height....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.