• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Stripped exhaust manifold bolts. Need advice

The Bluegrass Nomad

Five-oh ho no mo
Feb 4, 2011
Sadieville, KY
The manifold gaskets were in desperate need of replacement on my 72 Olds. In the process of removal, 2 bolt heads stripped out. Ive been contemplating borrowing a dremel tool and cutting the heads off and using a pipe wrench on the studs.

Before, I start tearing into them that way, has anyone used a more effective way to remove them? Ive seen welding a nut to the head, but have no access to a welder. Is there a bolt out tool you have used effectively, or know of any other method? Any help is appreciated.

Fyi, I've already used pb blaster, and a torch.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
His still have the heads on them, he can just get one of these

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...BM_vsQGfAW2BjAMwbFOx3h6Gl_Gyzz_1waAlxk8P8HAQ#

5-pc-bolt-grip%E2%84%A2-expansion-set-808.jpg

Easy peasy.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I wouldn't grind off the head of the bolt until you've tried everything. Those (Irwin) twist sockets or whatever you call them would be second to last resort. Once that head of the bolt is ground down enough, your options get really limited.

Since you have plenty of room to work, I would get the next closest socket that fits, either MM or standard. Get your yourself a 1LB hammer and beat the socket on the bolt.

If all else fails, use these stud removers. They're the Bentley of stud removers. They go down to the base of the stud and grab it (not the tip) so you don't crack off the stud in the head. Matco, Snap ON make their own version as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-8-Piece-Metric-SAE-Stud-Removal-Kit/4731435?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosAtg-PowerTools-_-4731435:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=4731435&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=7545df68-6631-4262-bb43-36a7d5543efd

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I hear [MENTION=63]blakbearddelite[/MENTION] is skilled at this

I've very skilled at the stripping part, not so much the fixing.

I just stripped a lug over the last week because someone handed me the wrong socket size. I learned my lesson on that one, test before you impact. I was able to get a spare lug for free, but I had to junk the socket I hammered on the old lug.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Trying the dremel route, if you were to do that, you'd be there forever, and two probably wear out the dremel and countless cutting heads, so...

I have both Crapsman and Snap-On versions of the bolt -extractors, and they really didn't work well. But maybe I wasn't using them right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info